[comp.graphics] Glossary of acronyms and commercial jargon -- WANTED

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (11/11/89)

In article <1476@aber-cs.UUCP> jjp@cs.aber.ac.uk (Jan Pinkava) writes:
>Is there a graphics-speak glossary already available (or posted here) ?
>If not, will somebody/somebodies provide one (as a regular posting?) ?
>(is this one of the commonly asked questions ?)

It isn't a regular posting because you're the first person I've seen ask this.
You could write down all the terms you're unfamiliar with and post a request
for them which might get gobs of supplies. The best way to do it would be to
mail questions to a couple people who offer to answer them. (you saw this
coming: If you send me mail about something I'll try to answer it.)

Just posting a glossary would be interesting, but I don't think anybody has one
plus it would be rather big. Comp.Graphics is a pretty general group anyway,
you see lots of side-related topics here, and we already are starting to build
a commonly asked questions post. But a list of terms could get pretty large.

>Jan Pinkava                         ARPA: jjp%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
>Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth         UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!jjp
>Penglais, Aberystwyth SY23 3BZ, UK  INET: jjp@cs.aber.ac.uk

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

weekley@oldcolo.UUCP (Bob Weekley) (11/11/89)

>  Subj: Glossary of acronyms and commercial jargon -- WANTED
>. . . . . .
>Is there a graphics-speak glossary already available (or posted here) ?

I don't know about specifically this GRAPHICS Conference, but
the following may come in handy:

              EXPANDED "COMPUTER BUZZWORD" GENERATOR

 The microcomputer revolution has created new words that are as
incomprehensible as they are sophisticated. We have recently updated a
technique developed in the 1960's called the "Instant Buzzword Generator"
to help you master this obscure jargon. With it you can create an almost
endless variety of intelligent-sounding technical terms.

INSTRUCTIONS: Simply select a number from each of the three columns below
and combine the words into your own computer buzzword phrases. For example,
select "10," "16," and "5" and you generate
             "Ergonomic Transitional Capability"
an expression bound to command instant respect...and confusion!
                    WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!

               EXPANDED "COMPUTER BUZZWORD" GENERATOR
      1. Integrated       1. Digital            1. Language
      2. Synchronous      2. Logical            2. Compatability
      3. Sectored         3. Memory             3. Management
      4. On-line          4. Random             4. Options
      5. Batched          5. Default            5. Capability
      6. Relational       6. Third-Generation   6. Network
      7. Dynamic          7. Incremental        7. Parameters
      8. Parallel         8. Interpretive       8. Self-test
      9. Responsive       9. Floppy             9. Matrix
     10. Ergonomic       10. De-bugged         10. Hardware
     11. Alphanumeric    11. Password          11. Device
     12. Optical         12. Protocol          12. Refresh
     13. Functional      13. Run-time          13. Compiler
     14. Formatted       14. Analog            14. Controller
     15. Mnemonic        15. Pixel             15. Flexability
     16. Acknowledged    16. Transitional      16. Contingency
     17. User-friendly   17. Intelligent       17. Duplex
     18. Addressable     18. Virtual           18. Eprom
     19. Enhanced        19. Buffered          19. Subroutine
     20. Monitored       20. Vertical          20. Access

Note: This all came from a very clever,beautifuly executed,two sided folding
Business Card by LONG BEACH MICRO; L.B.Calif.I have no connection whatsoever
with LBM. Their card is so fantastic, I thought everyone might enjoy it.
----------------------
Robert R. Weekley @ oldcolo.UUCP{backbone}!hpda!hplabs!hp-lsd!oldcolo!weekley

                             THE OLD COLORADO CITY ELECTRONIC COTTAGE
      | Standard |          2502 W. Colorado Ave. #203; C.S., CO 80904
      |Disclaimer|           (719) 632-3391 [8-N-1]; 632-4848 [voice]

"What you mistake for madness is but over acuteness of the senses" -E.A.Poe
-

siggraph@arisia.Xerox.COM (Rick Beach SIGGRAPH Editor-in-Chief) (11/14/89)

SIGGRAPH has created a long list of special terms in the computer
graphics vocabulary as a result of editing the transcriptions of
the panel sessions at SIGGRAPH'89.  You know the kinds of funny
errors people make when typing acronyms like substituting "figs"
for "PHIGS".  This list will become the basis for a glossary to
supply media people with an understanding of computer graphics
terminology.

I shall post the availability of the word list as soon as it is
available from the panel proceedings work.

Cheers
Richard J. Beach
SIGGRAPH Editor-in-Chief
(415)494-4822