[comp.graphics] 3D convex hull

dean@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Andrew Dean) (11/17/89)

Hi.

Does anybody have C source for a program to compute the
CONVEX HULL of a set of points in 3D?

INPUT :  a set of points (Xi,Yi,Zi).
OUTPUT:  the polygons forming the convex hull surface OR
	 the half-spaces defined by the facets of the hull.

A fast algorithm would be nice, but brute force would
be OK since the point sets will not be very large.

Thanks for any help.

andy dean                   dean@cis.ohio-state.edu

glenn@eos.UUCP (Glenn Meyer) (11/17/89)

dean@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Andrew Dean) writes:

>Hi.

>Does anybody have C source for a program to compute the
>CONVEX HULL of a set of points in 3D?

>INPUT :  a set of points (Xi,Yi,Zi).
>OUTPUT:  the polygons forming the convex hull surface OR
>	 the half-spaces defined by the facets of the hull.

>A fast algorithm would be nice, but brute force would
>be OK since the point sets will not be very large.

>Thanks for any help.

>andy dean                   dean@cis.ohio-state.edu

I don't have the source code, but there's a thorough description of
the convex hull algorithm in "Computational Geometry: An Introduction,"
by Franco P. Preparata and Michael Ian Shamos (New York: Springer-Verlag,
1985), pp. 131-148. The fastest algorithm you can hope to achieve in
the general case has a complexity of order NlogN, where N is the number
of points.

Glenn Meyer
glenn%{eos,carma}@ames.arc.nasa.gov

--