[comp.graphics] Workstations that can record/play

mherman@alias.UUCP (Michael Herman) (11/18/89)

In article <46900048@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>>Well, not quite.  A standard NTSC image does not contain the digital
>>equivalent of 24 bits per pixel.

What is a reasonable number of bits to use?

Some people claim they are producing *NTSC-quality* video with 16-bit
video ouput boards.  They are configured as 6-6-4 or 5-6-5 bits/component.

What do people think?

pierce@radius.UUCP (Pierce T. Wetter III) (11/19/89)

mherman@alias.UUCP (Michael Herman) writes:

>>>Well, not quite.  A standard NTSC image does not contain the digital
>>>equivalent of 24 bits per pixel.

>What is a reasonable number of bits to use?

>Some people claim they are producing *NTSC-quality* video with 16-bit
>video ouput boards.  They are configured as 6-6-4 or 5-6-5 bits/component.

>What do people think?

   I think that Sony, whose Trinitron is about the highest quality monitor I've
had the pleasure to use, tells us that the monitor electronics is only
accurate to about 5 bits per channel, so 16 bits is pretty good if not better than
normal televison.

  There are additional problems with NTSC as well but I'm not sure I want to go in
to them. Heres a fun fact, though: Broadcast NTSC is specced for a gamma of 2.2 and
most TVs have a gamma of 2.8.

Pierce

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (11/20/89)

In article <630@alias.UUCP> mherman@alias.UUCP (Michael Herman) writes:
>In article <46900048@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>Well, not quite.  A standard NTSC image does not contain the digital
>>equivalent of 24 bits per pixel.

Sun TAAC group says 2 bits per pixel is adequate for color animation.
For actual digital processing, that is still-frame and decompressed,
the amount approachs 24 bits per pixel.

Storage amounts and digital processing are different issues with different
optimal answers in this debate.

john@cfa250.harvard.edu (John Roll) (11/20/89)

The problem with trying to figure out the # of bits per pixel that are needed
to reproduce NTSC quality video on a workstation is that the NTSC picture
is encoded in a different color space.  The usual RGB color repersentation
that we use for computer graphics display is over done.   When the NTSC spec
was created the television (analog hackers) engineers shoehorned the color
broadcast singal into the already defined black and white broadcast system.
They did this by limiting the sugnal to those colors and bandwidths that
the eye could percieve.  The signal is not an RGB signal because the eye
descriminates the changes in colors at different bandwidths.  Black and White
is the most sensative.  (~8MHz).  The color portion of the picture is sent
along the IQ color axis.  I is the purple color at the bottom of an NTSC
test pattern and Q is the more anber white color.  These signals make up the
color picture and are sent as "sub-carrier" modulations of the BW signal.
Any way these signals are sent at much lower frequencies.

To obtain NTSC quality from RGB 24 bits are indeed needed. (fact)
To obtain NTSC quality from another scheme MUCH less bandwidth is needed.

Example: YRB color syncronized coding used in the New Media Graphics
	 VideoWindows digital video board.

	12 bits per pixel at 8MHz
	Endcode The BW as 7 bits lumanance at 8MHz
	Multiplex the two chroma channels to obtain two 4MHz streams.
		8 bits R-Y at 4MHz
		8 bits B-Y at 4MHz

This will give FULL NTSC color and spatial resution in a more compact form
than RGB.

Other schemes are even better but more difficult to handle in a DSP (for
post processing of the video signal).  If the signal were encoded in its
native braodcast format YIQ

	10 bits at 8 MHZ
	7 bits Luma
	Multiplex I and Q to obtain 8 bits at 1.6 and 3.9 MHz respectivly

DISCALIMER: I am a past employee of New Media Graphics.

This answer is off the top of my head all flames ignored.  For a serious
explaination see "The Television Engineers Handbook"  1000 pages of fine
print but really covers the subjects of color space representaion and
signal encoding (recomended reading for all CG Engineers).

John@cfa

needs of the human
~v