[comp.graphics] Water-Vision large display system

Nagle@cup.portal.com (John - Nagle) (11/12/89)

    Ishikawajima-Harama Heavy Industries (Ltd.) has recently
shown a new large-screen display technology called Water-Vision.
From the photo in Business Tokyo for November, it appears to display
a color picture on a curtain of falling water.  It's not clear how
this is done, but it seems to take a 3" water line to drive the
small-screen (20' by 20') version.  The water apparently just pours
out on the ground.  Picture quality is poor by TV standards.
A large-screen version (137' x 65') is available.

    But how does it work?

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (11/14/89)

In article <23952@cup.portal.com>, Nagle@cup.portal.com (John - Nagle) writes:

>     Ishikawajima-Harama Heavy Industries (Ltd.) has recently
> shown a new large-screen display technology called Water-Vision.
> From the photo in Business Tokyo for November, it appears to display
> a color picture on a curtain of falling water.  It's not clear how
> this is done, but it seems to take a 3" water line to drive the
> small-screen (20' by 20') version.  The water apparently just pours
don't know, but that sounds interesting.  Perhaps it is a projection
tv kind of thing.  Or perhaps they are using the sheet of water like
a fiber-optic and injecting a raster line into it (with tounge in cheek)
...does the scan line get captured bye the water and moved down the screen?
?

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (11/16/89)

>don't know, but that sounds interesting.  Perhaps it is a projection
>tv kind of thing.  Or perhaps they are using the sheet of water like
>a fiber-optic and injecting a raster line into it (with tounge in cheek)
>...does the scan line get captured bye the water and moved down the screen?

Sure, and then the used scan lines are recovered from the pool below, for
cleaning and re-use, by a special pump and filter system.  This was
required by the government before the product could be approved for sale,
as there was major concern over the possibilities for long-term pixel
pollution of the nation's water supply.

Oh, yeah: :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com               |  sentient life-form on this planet.

woody@rpp386.cactus.org (Woodrow Baker) (11/20/89)

In article <17400016@hpfcdj.HP.COM>, myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) writes:
> >don't know, but that sounds interesting.  Perhaps it is a projection
> >tv kind of thing.  Or perhaps they are using the sheet of water like
> >a fiber-optic and injecting a raster line into it (with tounge in cheek)
> >...does the scan line get captured bye the water and moved down the screen?
>

> Sure, and then the used scan lines are recovered from the pool below, for
> cleaning and re-use, by a special pump and filter system.  This was
> required by the government before the product could be approved for sale,
> as there was major concern over the possibilities for long-term pixel
> pollution of the nation's water supply.
>

> Oh, yeah: :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
>

> Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
>                    Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
> myers%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com               |  sentient life-form on this planet.

Sounds reasonable.  Lets see, I'm sure the EPA would have a problem with it,
the question is how do you recover the isotopes of the various colors, or
perhaps that is a DOE or DOD (DODO ?) question.  Then again the FDA might get
involved over the carcinogenic nature of red-pixels vs blue pixels-.... (ha)

Seriously, I would like to know what is going on with it, and how it is done,
though I could not resists the facicious (spelling ???) questions...!
Cheers Woody