[comp.graphics] More Mandelbrot Stuff

hiebeler@csv.rpi.edu (David Hiebeler) (09/01/87)

Keywords:fractals

No, this isn't about the M-set movies mentioned recently.
  What I am seeking is a list of interesting places in the
Mandelbrot set to magnify.  I have over a dozen or so,
mostly from Peitgen's & Richter's book, but I am looking
for more.  So, anyone find anything great, or know of
any places that has this info?
  I am also interested in good locations for Julia curves.
  E-mail preferably, I'll post a summary if there's a summary
worth posting.
 Thanks

                             -D.H.
----
David Hiebeler       hiebeler@csv.rpi.edu
Chatham, NY         "Illusions, Richard!  Every
(also Troy, NY)      bit of it illusions!"

jge@unc.cs.unc.edu (John Eyles) (09/03/87)

In article <31@rpicsb8>, hiebeler@csv.rpi.edu (David Hiebeler) writes:
>   What I am seeking is a list of interesting places in the
> Mandelbrot set to magnify.

We have an experimental graphics machine here at the University of North
Carolina (Pixel-Planes) which allows you to walk around the Mandelbrot set
(and Julia set) in real-time under joystick control.

If you're ever in Chapel Hill, come by and have a look.

afoiani@nmsu.EDU (Anthony Foiani) (11/26/89)

I saw the program FRACTINT mentioned a few articles back.  This is an
excellent program for the IBM PC-types.  The Mandelbrot implementation
it uses is the familiar iterate-until-magnitude-greater-than-2
algorithm, but it is implemented in 16- and 32-bit fixed-point(?)
and/or integer math.  thus, when running it on a 286 or 386, it can do
a full 360x480x1024iter Mandelbrot in about 30 seconds.  [well, that's
on a 386SX @16.7MHz]

but that is still pretty fast.  they did the same thing to their julia
set [even faster than the MB set!], and to their newton-solution
technique.  they still have a floating-point implementation of julia
and MB sets built into the program, for the sole purpose of:

     "If you feel the need to reminisce about the days when
      men were men, computers were computers, and fractals
      took forever to generate."

sigh.

this program also includes lambda sets, lambda-sine, newton,
newton-basin-of-attraction, and 'plasma' clouds.  in addition, it
supports a large amount of video modes, cycles colors, can save any
picture do disk, and can map any saved picture onto a sphere or do
other nifty 3d projections.

the C source code is avalable, but i think it is currently being
distributed over Compu$erve... i haven't looked that hard tho.

happy hacking,
--
tony foiani  (afoiani@nmsu.edu)         "And remember...don't lose your
a.k.a. Tkil  (mcsajf@nmsuvm1.bitnet)     head..." -Ramirez, HIGHLANDER

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (11/28/89)

In article <AFOIANI.89Nov25202207@dante.nmsu.EDU> afoiani@nmsu.EDU (Anthony Foiani) writes:

>I saw the program FRACTINT mentioned a few articles back.  This is an
>excellent program for the IBM PC-types.  The Mandelbrot implementation
>it uses is the familiar iterate-until-magnitude-greater-than-2
>algorithm, but it is implemented in 16- and 32-bit fixed-point(?)
>and/or integer math.  thus, when running it on a 286 or 386, it can do
>a full 360x480x1024iter Mandelbrot in about 30 seconds.  [well, that's
>on a 386SX @16.7MHz]

The binaries and the source of FractInt v. 10.0 are available
on Simtel in PD:<MSDOS.GRAPHICS> as

    FRAINT10.ARC       (the binaries)

and
    FRASRC10.ARC       (I believe, the source)

Michael Schaap
MSSCHAA@CS.VU.NL

In article <4637@draak.cs.vu.nl> msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) writes:
| In article <AFOIANI.89Nov25202207@dante.nmsu.EDU> afoiani@nmsu.EDU (Anthony Foiani) writes:
| >
| >I saw the program FRACTINT mentioned a few articles back.  This is an
| >excellent program for the IBM PC-types.  The Mandelbrot implementation
| >it uses is the familiar iterate-until-magnitude-greater-than-2
| >algorithm, but it is implemented in 16- and 32-bit fixed-point(?)
| >and/or integer math.

  Yes, fixed point. Note that when the constants in this program are
non-zero, the results are not the same as the older versions (or any
other program I've seen). To see this use the 't' command, select type
'mandel' and set Z0=.3 and Z1=.5 with any version previous to 10.0 and
with 10.0.

  I have sent Email to several of the authors, but haven't gotten a
reply yet.
that the world is flat!" - anon