[comp.graphics] digitizer communication

lal@fig.ucsb.edu (Laumann, Lynn Alan) (11/23/89)

   I am currently working on a project involving an Everex Step 386 25 mhz
(IBM compatible) and a CalComp 95480 model digitizer. I'm having trouble
 locating the asynchronous communication software required for the Everex
 to recieve information input on the digitizer, and vice versa. I have tried
 DOS interrupt calls, Bios calls and even the MicroSoft C function for serial
 port communication, with no luck.

   Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please email me at:
   lal@cs.ucsb.edu.

                                  Lynn Laumann

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (12/01/89)

In article <3095@hub.UUCP> lal@cornu.ucsb.edu writes:

>   I am currently working on a project involving an Everex Step 386 25 mhz
>(IBM compatible) and a CalComp 95480 model digitizer. I'm having trouble
> locating the asynchronous communication software required for the Everex
> to recieve information input on the digitizer, and vice versa. I have tried
> DOS interrupt calls, Bios calls and even the MicroSoft C function for serial
> port communication, with no luck.

The Everex is no different than any other compatible in this regard.  DOS
and bios calls bite the big one and I'm sure the Microsoft C functions just
interface to one or the other of those.  (Knowing Microsoft it probably
uses the bios.  Microsoft is notorious for bypassing Microsoft DOS but then
who can blame them :-) )

The best thing for you to do is get a good book on the serial port hardware
and write your own routines.  I suggest something that is interupt driven
and buffered so that you can keep your throughput up even if you run this
program on a slower machine.  Even on the Everex Step (Supposedly the
fastest machine in it's class) interupt driven ports are good if you use
some sort of multi-tasking software such as DesqView or Multi-Link or even
better if you decide to run a real OS (Couldn't resist that).

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   "You mean druid wasn't taken yet???"
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |                    - Everybody -