[net.cooks] request for quick low fat recipes

lizh@athena.UUCP (Liz Heller) (09/19/84)

I'd like to find some recipes that are quite low in saturated fat,
which also take an hour or less to fix. Any ideas on places to look?
I'm especially interested in quick recipes using tofu or fish.

jel@digi-g.UUCP (John Lind) (09/25/84)

This recipe meets the word of the requirements, but I am not certain
that it meets the spirit and intent because of the sugar in it.
It is delightful and easy, so I will share it anyway.

Simply place fish fillets (I recommend cod or torsk) in a glass baking
dish which is only a little larger than the fillets (leave 1/4 - 1/2"
between and around).  Pour 7-Up (haven't tried diet or alternate brand)
over all and bake 30-40 minutes, or until soda is almost all evaporated
(forms brown, sticky layer around pan, but washes off easily).  Use 8oz
of soda for each pound of fish.  No other seasoning is required.

There are few recipes easier, and this one is surprisingly good for the
effort.

To totally blow away the intent of the request, it is even better
when you drizzle parsley herb butter over the top.....

Details for less experienced cooks:  Buy fillets with firm, clear flesh.
Frozen works fine, but let thaw.  Wash the fillets, pat them dry,
and check for bones and bone fragments.  Many "fillets" have alot of bones.
Parsley herb butter is easy to prepare: melt 1/4# butter, add 1T dried
parsley, and pinches of other herbs that smell like they would be good
with fish (tastes differ).  Cover and keep warm 'til flavors mingle
and dried herbs hydrate.  Fresh herbs may be used, but if you are using
fresh herbs, you don't need my instructions on how to use them here.
Refridgerate leftover butter for next time, or use to make split-top
herb bread or herb pull-apart loaf (recipe on request).
------
John Lind, DSC, 10273 Yellow Circle Drive, Mpls MN  55343
mail  : { ihnp4!umn-cs, stolaf!umn-cs, umn-cme }!digi-g!jel
USnail: Starfire Consulting Services, PO Box 13001, Minneapolis, MN  55414

jel@digi-g.UUCP (John Lind) (10/03/84)

I just love making a fool of myself in public ;-}.  I have some
recipes that are "too simple" to write down, and I thought that
this fish recipe was one of them.  Well, it looked a little funny
when I posted it, so I went home and made a double batch.  Sure
enough, it was a little funny.  The soda to fish ration should be
4oz to the lb, far less than I originally posted.  If you cooked
all the soda away in my original posting, the fish could probably
be used as a doorstop.  Fortunately, I pulled it out when the fish was
done and simply discarded the excess soda.  It wasn't as good as it was
supposed to be, but it was still quite nice.  I sincerely hope that
no-one was inconvenience by my error.  I promise to either test my
memory recipes before posting or to bring in the hardcopy and type
that in from now on....  Honest!
------

oper@uwmacc.UUCP (Unix operator) (10/13/84)

In article <247@digi-g.UUCP> jel@digi-g.UUCP (John Lind) writes:
>Simply place fish fillets (I recommend cod or torsk) in a glass baking
>dish which is only a little larger than the fillets (leave 1/4 - 1/2"
>between and around).  Pour 7-Up (haven't tried diet or alternate brand)
						^^^^
>over all and bake 30-40 minutes, or until soda is almost all evaporated
>(forms brown, sticky layer around pan, but washes off easily).  Use 8oz
>of soda for each pound of fish.  No other seasoning is required.

	Just a note...My wife and I are currently dieting and we found
out that cooking with aspartame(sp?) isn't always wise.  Apparantly if
it is brought to a boil the protien will break down and methanol (better
known as wood alcohol) is formed.  Also, if aspartame is heated for a period
of time it breaks down somewhat and turns bitter.  So if you want to use
diet soda in this recipe, you should use one with saccharin only.

	I've only been reading this group for a month or so, so I hope
that this topic hasn't been thoroughly covered previously.  Please don't
flame me if it has, I just thought that is should be brought up.

	Sounds like a great recipe, though.

	Steve Manning, Madison Academic Computing Center

...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,uwm-evax}!uwvax!uwmacc!oper