[comp.graphics] MiniVas

alan.kennedy@canremote.uucp (ALAN KENNEDY) (11/30/89)

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has used the Lyon Lamb - MiniVas
VTR controllers. We are using them on a Wavefront, and a Neo Visuals
system, and are having a lot of problems. Things like skipping a frame
on an in point leaving you a black frame in the middle of your
animation. And other annoying things like that...

Al Kennedy
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

rfree@cam.nist.gov (Richard Freemire) (12/03/89)

In article <89120107514469@masnet.uucp>, alan.kennedy@canremote.uucp (ALAN KENNEDY) writes:
> I'd really like to hear from anyone who has used the Lyon Lamb - MiniVas
> VTR controllers. We are using them on a Wavefront, and a Neo Visuals
> system, and are having a lot of problems. Things like skipping a frame
> on an in point leaving you a black frame in the middle of your
> animation. And other annoying things like that...
>
> Al Kennedy

We have a VAS IV which is a precurser to the miniVas.  I had the same problem
that you describe.  That I found was that if you issue the 'record' button
as soon as you can after the pre-roll to edit, the Vas can skip a frame.
Try putting a delay between the reception of the pre-roll finished char
and issuing the record command.  The Vas IV was designed for people and
the computer interface was an after thought.  Many of the commands can't
be issued too close together or you get strange non-repeatable problems.
I'd like to have all the Vas users talk together.  I got NO software for
my system, I had to write my own.  I never got any support from
Lyon-Lamb.  Is this what other people had to put up with?

I'm new on the net so I don't have a logo/signoff yet.

Richard Freemire
National Institute for Standards and technology
use to be Natl. Bureau of Standards
Gaithersburg, Md  20899
301-975-3814
rfree@cam.nist.gov

berry@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Berry Kercheval) (12/07/89)

In article <1825@dgl.cam.nist.gov> rfree@cam.nist.gov (Richard Freemire) writes:
>In article <89120107514469@masnet.uucp>, alan.kennedy@canremote.uucp (ALAN KENNEDY) writes:
>> I'd really like to hear from anyone who has used the Lyon Lamb - MiniVas
>> VTR controllers.

>We have a VAS IV which is a precurser to the miniVas.  I had the same problem
>that you describe.

I have a MiniVas and have had no problems in several hours of
animation.  What kind of VTR's are you guys using?  I have found Sony
BVW-40's to be rock-solid machines.

>I'd like to have all the Vas users talk together.  I got NO software for
>my system, I had to write my own.  I never got any support from
>Lyon-Lamb.  Is this what other people had to put up with?

I got some software from L/L for the MiniVas that claimed to be Unix
compatible, but it was written in a weird ANSI-ish dialect of C, had
horrid system dependencies (like #include </usr/people/fred/src/vas.h>)
and assumed PC-ish architecture.  It turned out to be worse than
completely useless.
  Only took me about 1/2 a day to write my own bare-bones library for it.
The worst part was remembering to turn off ECHO on the tty port.
(When you send 'I' to init the MiniVas, it replies with 'I' when done,
which is echod to the MiniVas by the tty driver.  So the MiniVas
inits itself again, and again, and again....)

>I'm new on the net so I don't have a logo/signoff yet.

What you have is just fine.  (I promise not to do any .sig bashing in
comp.graphics...)

  --berry

--
bERRY Kercheval :: berry@lll-crg.llnl.gov