[net.cooks] Armenian cuisine comment

trogers@sun.uucp (Tom Rogers) (10/03/84)

A review of a Scottsdale Armenian restaurant mentioned stuffed
grape leaves and yogurt with crushed cucumbers. Both of these are also
Greek dishes. The former goes by the name dolmates (roughly pronounced
"dole-ma-teez") and the latter is called tzatsiki (pronounced roughly
"sat-zee-key"). The tzatsiki also includes garlic; this dish is great
by itself, but also goes very well as a dip with carrots, tomatoes,
etc.

anne@digi-g.UUCP (Anne Chenette) (10/09/84)

> A review of a Scottsdale Armenian restaurant mentioned stuffed
> grape leaves and yogurt with crushed cucumbers. Both of these are
> also Greek dishes.

These dishes are also Turkish dishes - the former are called `dolma',
and the latter is called `cacik' (pronounce djadjeek - same word as
tzatsiki, really).

I certainly don't condone one country's invasion of another, but I
DO like the culinary results when one country adopts and adapts the
invader's or invadee's cuisine.  (I firmly believe that we can
achieve world peace through world cuisine, merely by ensuring that all
diplomats and heads-of-state are gormands, but that's another subject.)

My experience with Greek, Armenian, and Turkish cuisine is that they
are similar, but each have their own delicious variations.  For example,
Turkish Doner is somewhat like Greek Gyros (and Egyptian Shawirma), but
is made from sliced lamb, not ground lamb and beef.

Alas, Minneapolis has no Armenian or Turkish restaurants.

				from a peripatetic eater,
				     Anne Chenette
				     ihnp4!umn-cs!digi-g!anne

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (10/10/84)

In article <> digi-g!anne writes:

>I certainly don't condone one country's invasion of another, but I
>DO like the culinary results when one country adopts and adapts the
>invader's or invadee's cuisine.  (I firmly believe that we can
>achieve world peace through world cuisine, merely by ensuring that all
>diplomats and heads-of-state are gormands, but that's another subject.)

AMEN!  Look what happened when the Japanese took over Portuguese cuisine.
Tempura!  Yummm!

--
<DISCLAIMER> <CUTE_QUOTE> <TRADEMARK_ACK> <FUNNY_PICTURE>
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)

inc@fluke.UUCP (10/13/84)

>>Alas, Minneapolis has no Armenian or Turkish restaurants.
>>
>>				from a peripatetic eater,
>>				     Anne Chenette
>>				     ihnp4!umn-cs!digi-g!anne

Alas, and alack, me peripatesium!! There may not be Armenian food in
Mpls, but there are some really excellent eastern eateries.

F'rinstance:  Caravan Serai (!Great Kabobs!), George Is In Fridley
(AUTHENTIC Greek), Emily's Lebanese Deli (casual but real), and an Arabic
place that's still new enough to serve lemon in the water, but whose name
escapes me at the moment.

There is also a fairly new curry house, with the name "Curry House" if you
go in for that kind of thing. Relax, Minneapolis isn't THAT far from
civilization!

btw- if you ever come to Seattle, try to get to a place called Komalco. I
don't know where the name comes from, but they have outstanding Lebanse food.

--
Gary Benson ms232e -*- John Fluke Mfg Co -*- Box C9090 -*- Everett WA 98206 USA
{microsoft,allegra,ssc-vax,sun,sb1}{decvax,ihnp4,tektronix!uw-beaver}!fluke!inc