[comp.graphics] Convex hulls

ward@eplrx7.uucp (Rick Ward) (12/06/89)

Does anyone have any references or, even better, source code on how to
calculate the convex hull of a set of points in three dimensions?  I
have seen the paper by DCS Allison and MT Noga on how to calculate the
convex hull in two dimensions, but a three dimensional solution doesn't
come readily to mind.

For those who are wondering, a convex hull is a surface which covers a
set of points without any concave patches(i.e. it only connects the
outermost points).

Thanks in advance.

Rick
--
    Rick Ward                         |        E.I. Dupont Co.
    uunet!eplrx7!ward                 |        Engineering Physics Lab

emcalc@sugar.hackercorp.com (William M. Schmidt) (12/06/89)

The Jarvis march method in 2-d can be generalized to 3-d. It's called
"gift wrapping" because that's what it resembles. A good reference for
these sort of geometrical problems is "Computational Geometry - An
Introduction" by Preparata and Shamos, 1985, Springer-Verlag. I believe
that this is an O(N^2) algorithm in 3-d.

--
Bill Schmidt                 |
Texas Accelerator Center     | "Eagles may soar, but a worm never

glenn@eos.UUCP (Glenn Meyer) (12/07/89)

ward@eplrx7.uucp (Rick Ward) writes:

>Does anyone have any references or, even better, source code on how to
>calculate the convex hull of a set of points in three dimensions?  I
>have seen the paper by DCS Allison and MT Noga on how to calculate the
>convex hull in two dimensions, but a three dimensional solution doesn't
>come readily to mind.

"Computational Geometry: An Introduction," by Franco P. Preparata and
Michael Ian Shamos (New York: Springer-Verlag, 1985) devotes about
90 pages to the solution and applications of convex hull algortihms.
The book discusses an order NlogN algorithm, where N is the number
of points in 3D space, and also describes an algorithm that approximates
the convex hull.

Glenn Meyer
glenn@eos.arc.nasa.gov
glenn%carma@ames.arc.nasa.gov