[comp.graphics] Workstations that can record/play realtime video

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (11/10/89)

I'm looking for a computer/video workstation with the following capabilities.

1. Ability to record/playback video (at least VHS-recorder quality) and
   store the video on disk in DIGITAL form.

2. Ability to store about 1 hour of video.

3. Capability to do simple manipulations of video data in real-time.

4. Ability to do more complicated manipulations of data a frame at a time.

5. The ability to record video a frame at a time without undue wear.

What I'm interested in using it for is video production and editing, including
preperation of animations and composite video images.

I understand the Quantel "Harry" machine has capabilities like this, I'd be
interested in hearing more about "Harry" or about any other gadget that
can provide these capabilities.

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306
{uunet, rutgers}!iuvax!ndmath!milo
milo@ndmath
GEnie:  GCORSON

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (11/10/89)

In article <1593@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>I'm looking for a computer/video workstation with the following capabilities.
>1. Ability to record/playback video (at least VHS-recorder quality) and
>   store the video on disk in DIGITAL form.
>2. Ability to store about 1 hour of video.

VHS quality 24 bits x 640 pixels x 480 lines x 30 Hertz x 3600 seconds
is 100 gigabytes uncompressed.
Sun TAAC compresses digital video to 5-10%, but this is still a lot of
storage.
The now defunct company called PEL offered a system in 1980 with one minute
of video using a gigabyte disk farm.
The National Supercomputer Center uses an Abacus (spelling?) system for
digital video loops on the order of a minute.
The Connection Machine plus Data Vault can store hour long movies at this
resolution, but is expensive.   It is an impressive digital movie machine.

ken@uc.msc.umn.edu (Ken Chin-Purcell) (11/10/89)

In article <6509@portia.Stanford.EDU>, rick@hanauma.stanford.edu
(Richard Ottolini) writes:
> In article <1593@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
> >I'm looking for a computer/video workstation with the following
capabilities.
> >1. Ability to record/playback video (at least VHS-recorder quality) and
> >   store the video on disk in DIGITAL form.
>
> The National Supercomputer Center uses an Abacus (spelling?) system for
> digital video loops on the order of a minute.

We had an Abaqus A60 in for evaluation, and were quite pleased.  It could
store 750 frames (25 sec) and could play back at various speeds.
One of its better features was connectivity.  The Abaqus can sit directly
on TCP/IP ethernet, and use ftp and rcp protocols to transfer images.

There is also a scsi interface.  Output is r/g/b and digital video.

             Ken Chin-Purcell   (aka ken@msc.umn.edu)
                  Minnesota Supercomputer Center
          1200 Washington Ave. So. Minneapolis, MN 55415

jonson@zorro.megatek.uucp (Henrik Jonson) (11/11/89)

FYI - follow comp.sys.amiga and -.tech, for 'low-cost' versions.

smp@sei.cmu.edu (Stan Przybylinski) (11/11/89)

Digital video interactive (DVI) from Intel can do this stuff but it
currently isn't low cost.

*---------------------------------------*-----------------------------------*
*Stan Przybylinski (Prez-ba-lin-ski)	*These views do not represent those *
*Software Engineering Institute		*of Carnegie Mellon, the SEI, the   *
*Carnegie Mellon University		*DoD or possibly even the author.   *
*Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890		*                                   *
*smp@sei.cmu.edu   (412) 268-6371	*All the fits, that's news to print.*
*---------------------------------------*-----------------------------------*

jchristy@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Jim Christy) (11/14/89)

> VHS quality 24 bits x 640 pixels x 480 lines x 30 Hertz x 3600 seconds
> is 100 gigabytes uncompressed.

This would imply that a standard VHS cassette tape has nearly 200 GB of
storage capacity.  Your multiplication is OK, but I think that's a little
high, else we would all be using these as mass storage backup devices.
Granted, this signal is stored in analog not digital form in the typical
recorder.

I suspect 24 bits of color is overkill for NTSC video.  Roy Hall touches
on this point in "Illumination and Color in Computer Graphics".  I don't
have the text handy to quote the page.  May have botched the title slightly
too, but you get the idea.

I just have a tough time believing it takes nearly 100 compact discs to
equal one $4.00 TDK VHS cassette.

Jim H. Christy
Hewlett-Packard, PCG
974 E. Arques Ave. MS 72UT
Sunnyvale, CA 94086

jchristy@hpspcoi.hp.com

efo@pixar.uucp (efo) (11/14/89)

Currently, one of the few machines that can handle digital video-like
information at these rates is the Abekas A60 family ($60K). The Abekas,
as some posters have noted, can sit on the the ethernet, and you can
send stuff to it that way.  Note the spelling of "Abekas".
Note that most workstations (as such: Suns, Irises, etc.) either
in themselves or as hosts to accelerators or framebuffers (TAACs,
Pixar Image Computers) cannot do accurate real-time playback.  In those
few cases where they have enough bandwidth to handle, on average,
30 fps,  they cannot deliver a consistant 30 fps (due, usually,
to the scheduling of jobs under Unix.) For us this is a serious problem
and precludes their use for playback - for you this may not be the case.
Oftentimes, disk or framebuffer
bandwidth is a bottleneck, too, of course.

A cheap way to get low-grade single-frame NTSC with realtime playback,
as described, is with a Panasonic or similar write-once video disk.
These machines are in the $10K range, and can be controlled via an RS232
port. Even that's not so cheap.

The other option is a professional video setup (>$100K).

As you might imagine, this has been a serious issue for the animation group
at Pixar.  If there are new alternatives, we'd love to know more.
Eben Ostby

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (11/15/89)

In article <1360003@hpspcoi.HP.COM> jchristy@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Jim Christy) writes:

>> VHS quality 24 bits x 640 pixels x 480 lines x 30 Hertz x 3600 seconds
>> is 100 gigabytes uncompressed.
>
>This would imply that a standard VHS cassette tape has nearly 200 GB of
>storage capacity.  Your multiplication is OK, but I think that's a little
>high, else we would all be using these as mass storage backup devices.

NTSC is rated at 3.5 MHz or 32 GB / hour given 2bits per Hertz, the
minimum encoding under Nyquist limit.  Most VHS systems barely reach 1 MHz.
NTSC cheats by smearing the spatial intensity resolution a little and color
resolution alot, but it fools the human visual system.  Uncompressed digital
is 100 GB, but I mention 95% compression schemes are not difficult (SIGGRAPH
talk, Sun TAAC board), reducing the need to about 5 GB / hour.
New mass storage systems such as Exabyte fit 2 GB digital on a standard videotape
and I believe it it is almost 4 GB if one includes all the extra error checking.

schear@ttidca.TTI.COM (Steve Schear) (11/15/89)

In article <1360003@hpspcoi.HP.COM> jchristy@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Jim Christy) writes:

>> VHS quality 24 bits x 640 pixels x 480 lines x 30 Hertz x 3600 seconds
>> is 100 gigabytes uncompressed.
>
>This would imply that a standard VHS cassette tape has nearly 200 GB of
>storage capacity.  Your multiplication is OK, but I think that's a little
>high, else we would all be using these as mass storage backup devices.
>Granted, this signal is stored in analog not digital form in the typical
>recorder.

Well, not quite.  A standard NTSC image does not contain the digital
equivalent of 24 bits per pixel.  The color coding scheme of NTSC provides
high spatial frequency image data only to the luminance component of the
picture.  The color information is "smeared" atop this grayscale data
at a much lower spatial frequency.  The eye appears to notice little of
this psychophysical magic due to, among other things, the larger size and
wider spacing of the cones (as opposed to the rods) in the fovea of the retna.

Another reason is the efficiency of analog coding, from a media standpoint.
This difference in efficiency is one reason behind all the digital image
coding efforts (e.g., CD-I, fractal compression).

cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) (11/15/89)

In article <1360003@hpspcoi.HP.COM> jchristy@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Jim Christy) writes:

>> VHS quality 24 bits x 640 pixels x 480 lines x 30 Hertz x 3600 seconds
>> is 100 gigabytes uncompressed.

>This would imply that a standard VHS cassette tape has nearly 200 GB of
>storage capacity.

>Jim H. Christy

	NTSC video is approximately 20Mb/sec, or at least that is what the
DVI people say.  I am inclined to believe that figure.  An hour of NTSC
video is then 20Mb/sec x 3600 sec = 72 Gigabytes/hour.  However a VHS
recorder only stores about half of the NTSC signal (maybe less), so the
standard t-120 tape holds about 72Gb worth of digital information (in analog
form) at its fastest play speed.

	I do think that 24-bit color is maybe a little excessive for VHS
format tapes, but it gives a stoarage prediction in the right ballpark.

				Christopher Douty
			 cdouty@jarthur.claremont.edu

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  use STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  "Gun control is being
with SILLY_QUOTE; use SILLY_QUOTE;                   able to hit your target"

paul@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul Bame) (11/16/89)

> VHS quality 24 bits x 640 pixels x 480 lines x 30 Hertz x 3600 seconds
> is 100 gigabytes uncompressed.

Somewhere there is a recomendation regarding how many bits and at what
speeds to do "broadcast-quality" NTSC digital video - and it's a heck
of a lot less than 24 effective bits per pixel.  For example, remember
that limitations of NTSC prevent one from changing color too awful much
within a single scan line - I think the NTSC digital stuff had the
crominance separately recorded at a slower speed than the luminance.
Wish I had the reference - if you're really interested I know someone
who can probably find it.  I think we were calculating being able to
put 1-3 minutes of video on a 125Mbyte (HP7925) disc drive (including the
magic to get it off the disc fast enough to record - which we never
found the time to implement).

	-Paul

rick@electro.UUCP (Rick Kozak) (11/16/89)

In article <1360003@hpspcoi.HP.COM> jchristy@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Jim Christy) writes:

>I just have a tough time believing it takes nearly 100 compact discs to
>equal one $4.00 TDK VHS cassette.

the problem is that the two things you are comparing are not the same.
the CD stores EXACTLY the digital information that you want, where the
VHS cassette only has to store approximately correct video information.

if i'm allowed to do a backup of approximately what you have on your
hard disk, then you could actually store many gigabytes of info on
VHS tape, but since it's probably best to get back exactly what you saved,
you could get maybe 300 MBytes on 6 hours if you store 8 bits per
line of video. So, 1 CD = 0.5 VHS tape.

bottom line is that analog is a much more efficient method of storing
information, but you have to tolerate errors.

rick

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (11/16/89)

>> VHS quality 24 bits x 640 pixels x 480 lines x 30 Hertz x 3600 seconds
>> is 100 gigabytes uncompressed.

>This would imply that a standard VHS cassette tape has nearly 200 GB of
>storage capacity.  Your multiplication is OK, but I think that's a little
>high, else we would all be using these as mass storage backup devices.
>Granted, this signal is stored in analog not digital form in the typical
>recorder.

The multiplication IS correct, and yes, you would need about 100 GB to store
the information as given above in digital form.  The joys of analog vs.
digital storage - why do you think that no one's come out with a digital
video disc yet, but you can get CDs anywhere?

Of course, there are some assumptions in the above that aren't quite right -
"VHS quality" is a long way from 24 bits/pixel, 640 x 480 resolution -
particularly the color information, which is severely bandwidth-limited in
basic NTSC, let alone VHS tapes.  A more realistic approach might be to see
how much storage would be required to store NTSC-encoded video; in other
words, simply sample the NTSC output of a VCR (or whatever other video source
you choose).  Here's a rough attempt, and I'm trying to be conservative
throughout.

TV channels in the US are 6 MHz wide; now, not all of this space is taken up
by video information, but let's assume that the NTSC signal needs to be
sampled at 12 MHz.  Further, we'll assume that 12 bits/sample is sufficient
- actually, good results have been obtained sampling NTSC at 8 bits/sample -
and that we want to store an hour of video.  This gives:

12 x 10^6 samples/sec x 1.5 bytes/sample x 3600 seconds = 6.48 x 10^10 bytes!

Your mileage may vary depending on assumptions, but this is a very realistic
estimate of the storage required.  Bandwidth is NOT cheap.

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com               |  sentient life-form on this planet.

dave@imax.uucp (Dave Martindale) (11/16/89)

In article <1360003@hpspcoi.HP.COM> jchristy@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Jim Christy) writes:

>> VHS quality 24 bits x 640 pixels x 480 lines x 30 Hertz x 3600 seconds
>> is 100 gigabytes uncompressed.
>
>This would imply that a standard VHS cassette tape has nearly 200 GB of
>storage capacity.  Your multiplication is OK, but I think that's a little
>high, else we would all be using these as mass storage backup devices.
>Granted, this signal is stored in analog not digital form in the typical
>recorder.

That computation is really saying that you need 100 Gb to store 1 hour
of video at *better than broadcast quality*.  Your image source needs
to be better than the recording medium.  Even if you used the very
best analog video recorder, you wouldn't expect to get 100 Gb back
from it.

And that figure assumes you store the image as RGB.  If you separate
luminance from chrominance, you can get away with less spatial
resolution in the two colour channels (and probably less intensity
resolution too) while maintaining broadcast quality.

Of course, VHS has poorer S/N and less resolution that broadcast
quality, so fewer bits would be needed for "VHS quality",
(if you can stand to watch VHS quality!).

To come from the other end, there is a digital data recorder that
stores 5 Gb on a VHS cassette, so its storage capacity is definitely
above that.

djones@awesome.berkeley.edu (David G. Jones) (11/16/89)

In the recent discussion of NTSC bandwidth, Steve Schear adds his 2 cents:

In article <7645@ttidca.TTI.COM> schear@ttidca.tti.com (Steve Schear) writes:
> .... The eye appears to notice little of
>this psychophysical magic due to, among other things, the larger size and
>wider spacing of the cones (as opposed to the rods) in the fovea of the retna.

There are *no* rods in the center of your fovea, besides rods are mostly
saturated in bright, daytime settings.  The cones in your fovea are about
1 second of visual angle apart, which is very well matched to your
resolution acuity of 60 cycles per degree - not what I'd call widely spaced.
The 3 different cone types do occur with different frequency, "blue" being the
least frequent.

the vision police.

In article <6640@portia.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma.UUCP (Richard Ottolini) writes:

>NTSC is rated at 3.5 MHz or 32 GB / hour given 2bits per Hertz, the
>minimum encoding under Nyquist limit.

The NTSC bandwidth is 4.2 MHz.  Nyquist says your sample *rate* has to be
twice that; 2 samples per Hz.  However, sampling theorem assumes
infinite precision per sample, not just 1 bit/sample.  In practice,
digital video hardware samples at 8 or sometimes 10 bits/sample at
a somewhat higher sample rate  That's 30 Gbytes/hour.  And it's not
exactly easy to convert between sampled NTSC waveforms and RGB images.

>Uncompressed digital
>is 100 GB, but I mention 95% compression schemes are not difficult (SIGGRAPH
>talk, Sun TAAC board), reducing the need to about 5 GB / hour.

Depends on whether you will accept some degradation in the image,
or insist on lossless compression.

jbm@eos.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) (11/17/89)

djones@awesome.berkeley.edu (David G. Jones) writes:

>There are *no* rods in the center of your fovea, besides rods are mostly
>saturated in bright, daytime settings.  The cones in your fovea are about
>1 second of visual angle apart, which is very well matched to your
>resolution acuity of 60 cycles per degree - not what I'd call widely spaced.

60 seconds / minute
60 minutes /degree

A spacing of 1 second would yield a resolution of 1800 cycles/degree.
The smallest spacing is about 30 seconds or arc (or half a minute),
and is consistent with 60 cycles/degree.

>the vision police.
must be on the take

--

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm@aurora.arc.nasa.gov)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 239-3, Moffet Field CA, 94035

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (11/19/89)

Disclaimer: I'm working from what's left of my memory, so maybe some
of these numbers are off a little.

Recall that the broadcast NTSC luminance bandwidth is about 4.2 MHz,
I is 1.5 MHz, and Q is .5 MHz, so it's not necessary to store lots of
color information if you're dealing with NTSC in and out.

One older special-effects real-time video toy that I've worked on
stored NTSC as YIQ components: 492 vertical lines with 512 pixels per
line for luminance (Y), 256 for the Inphase chroma signal, and 64 for
the Quadrature chroma.  Each was 8 bits.

A back-of-the-envelope calculation (divide the bandwidth by the
horizontal scan frequency) will give you 267 pixels per line luminance,
95 I, and 31 Q: a rough indication that these pixel numbers are
probably about right - you lose just a bit of luminance, and you're
actually storing the chroma at slightly more resolution than needed.
(Don't forget Dr. Nyquist: sample at twice the max frequency.)

Just for reference, so you don't have to go look it up:

	R =   .94I +  .62Q + Y
	G =  -.27I +  .65Q + Y
	B = -1.11I - 1.70Q + Y

and
	Y = .30R + .59G + .11B
	I = .60R - .28G - .32B
	Q = .21R - .52G + .31B

Note that to save money, most television receivers do NOT directly
demodulate I and Q; instead a 33 degree shift of the chroma carrier
phase is used to demodulate R-Y, G-Y, and B-Y, with a reasonably good
approximation of the original RGB camera signal resulting.

Also, these bandwidths means that having more than 30 or so distinctly
different shades of color on an NTSC scan line isn't generally
possible; the Q carrier can't shift that fast!  An implication of this
is that one should NOT expect horizontal color wedges to look anywhere
as good as vertical ones - a fact which is good to keep in mind when
planning graphics images for broadcast use.  Aliasing in color looks
particularly bad.

I think it would be wise for any graphics house to routinely encode
their workstation images into NTSC and view them after perhaps two
generations of 1" video recording, just to make sure that the consumer
is going to see what the artist drew.  What looks really great on the
workstation monitor can really look like garbage in the home.
	- Brian

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (11/19/89)

If you're talking $60k for an Abekas, why not just get a D2 digital
recorder. A couple of years ago at a NAB(?) convention, a D2 machine was
about $80k, a bit more than 1/2 the previous year's D1 recorder. D2
machines are getting popular at post houses here in Hollywood, and
maybe the price is even more reasonable (!?   :->  )

                                  - MJB -

mitchh@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Mitch Hendrickson) (11/21/89)

In article <6509@portia.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma.UUCP (Richard Ottolini) writes:
>VHS quality 24 bits x 640 pixels x 480 lines x 30 Hertz x 3600 seconds

24 bits? BAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!  for VHS?  Somebody oughta tell all those
folks out there in 4:2:2-land...

-Mitch

--
Mitch Hendrickson		mitchh@gold.gvg.tek.com
Grass Valley Group, Inc.	(of course I don't speak for them!!)

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (11/22/89)

Dec 89 ACM Comm HDTV article cites 14.25 MB /sec for NSTC, although it is not
clear where this number comes from.  Then one hour equals 51 GB.

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) (11/22/89)

In article <24213@cup.portal.com>, MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:
> If you're talking $60k for an Abekas, why not just get a D2 digital
> recorder. A couple of years ago at a NAB(?) convention, a D2 machine was
> about $80k, a bit more than 1/2 the previous year's D1 recorder. D2
> machines are getting popular at post houses here in Hollywood, and
> maybe the price is even more reasonable (!?   :->  )
>
>                                   - MJB -

This sounds very interesting.  Just what is a D2 machine and where
does one find more information.  Is is possible to use a computer to
write in memory of the recorder and then record that frame to video
tape.  What kind of format would be used?

I've started to learn about digital video.  I'm really interested in
recorder that a RAM frame buffer that could be written to by a computer
and sinlge framed on to video tape.  Also if the video from the frame
buffer could be displayed this would allow one to do animation with almost
any kind of computer.  Is this kind of thing even possible today?  Can
this be bought for less than $5000?

                                   Thank you,
                                     Wayne Knapp

hui@joplin.mpr.ca (Michael Hui) (11/23/89)

Has anyone thought about executing the video expansion (de-compression?)
algorithm used in Intel's Digital Video Interactive (DVI) system?

The IEEE Spectrum article that discussed this scheme mentioned that
custom chips were developed to do the job. But could the equivalent
be done with a TMS34020 or TMS320C30 on a frame buffer card,
with the compressed video fed via the bus from a hard disk?

I notice that the Intel system is rather inflexible, in terms of
integration into the current mainstream graphics environment (X window,
TIGA from TI, etc.) but since both standards do run on the TMS340
family, it might be worth investigating whether the algorithm could be
run on those chips also, rather than use Intel's chip set.

thompson@gunflint (William B. Thompson) (11/29/89)

Lyon-Lamb and others have for some time made VCR tape edit controllers
that allow single frame writes onto video tape.  The controllers take
commands across an RS-232 link.  They require a deck that supports insert
edit mode.  Quality is comparable to the Panasonic write-once video disk.
We've successfully used a Lyon-Lamb Mini-Vas for several years.

                - Bill

malcolm@Apple.COM (Malcolm Slaney) (11/29/89)

In article <24213@cup.portal.com> MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:
>If you're talking $60k for an Abekas, why not just get a D2 digital
>recorder.

Has anybody tried using a write once video disk?  Do any of the writer/readers
do single frame stuff?  I don't know anything about them but if they don't cost
very much you can throw away a lot of used discs for $60k.

We have both Abekas and D2's here on campus but we are limited by the network
interfaces.  I've had better luck writing images to a frame buffer and then
using a relatively slow Umatic deck to put it on video tape.

Cheers.

					Malcolm Slaney
					Apple Speech and Hearing Project

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (11/29/89)

Some numbers from a Bay Area talk by Industrial Light and Magic today:
They work with film resolutions from 640 x 480 to 3200 x 2300 at 24
frames a second and 36 bit color.  They can store about 10-15 seconds per
2.2 GB Exabyte tapes.

milazzo@bbn.com (Paul Milazzo) (11/30/89)

malcolm@Apple.COM (Malcolm Slaney) asks:

>Has anybody tried using a write once video disk?  Do any of the writer/readers
>do single frame stuff?

I've used a Panasonic TQ-3031F (list price k$18) to do single-frame
animation recording; it's very easy.  I'm not completely happy with the
quality, though; occasional frames have one or two tiny, brightly-colored
specks.  I have a *very* early model of the recorder, and was using the
blank disc that came with it, so I might just have experienced early disc
manufacturing problems.

For the curious, I'll include a few TQ-3031F specs:

disc geometry:  54000 frames/side normal, 36000 frames/side hi-res
resolution:     >380 lines normal, >450 lines hi-res
video S/N:      >45 dB
audio S/N:      >70 dB
recording mode: luminance: FM    color: FM R-Y, B-Y line sequential
video inputs:   composite, S-video, RGB+sync, dubbing, sync, SC
video outputs:  composite, S-video, RGB+sync, dubbing
audio I/O:      stereo (~300mV unbalanced)
control port:   RS-232C, typical industrial videodisc command set

				Paul Milazzo <milazzo@bbn.com>
				BBN Systems & Technologies
				Cambridge, MA

msa@tel4.tel.vtt.fi (Markku Savela) (12/01/89)

   Going back to the original subject line, I have run against a
description of new interface card for IBM PC/XT/AT (and 100% compatibles),
which claims to do pretty much the same as Parallax offers for Unix
workstations (btw, does parallax work on Apollo DN3500?).

   This card is DVA-4000/ISA from Videologic. Says, it's Digital Video
Adapter for VGA, uses VGA monitor, non-interlaced, full motion digitized
video (30 frames/sec NTSC, 25 frames/sec PAL), Video-Audio-Graphics mixing,
video windowing/scaling/positioning, input from NTSC/PAL/RGB/S-VHS/CDI/VDI,
etc... Works under DOS/Microsoft Windows. Designed to be used with M.I.C
(Multimedia Interactive Control) system software. This all from short
description I have.

   Any experience of using this? ISA-version availability is Nov 89, but
the MCA version should have been available earlier. Anyone used M.I.C?
I have only very hazy idea of the cost, complete package with sofware
under $5000? I would be interested seeing some discussion comparing
this and Parallax (and others, if there are any), good and bad points
for both...

   I really have nothing to do with VideoLogic. We are just looking
ways to get live video on a workstation as cheap as possible and this
DVA looks interesting.

    And to prevent some of the obvious followup questions, here are
the two addresses of Videologic:

    * VideoLogic Ltd., Home Park Industrial Estate, Kings Langley,
      Herts, U.K. (09277)60511

    * VideoLogic Inc.,124 Mount Auburn Street, #200, Cambridge,
      MA 02138, USA, 617 576-5720
--
 Markku Savela, Technical Research Centre of Finland, Telecomm Lab.
 Internet: savela@tel.vtt.fi (DON'T use msa@tel4.tel.vtt.fi--it won't work)

good@pixar.uucp (The Ice Cream truck in my neighborhood plays Helter Skelter.) (12/01/89)

In article <36840@apple.Apple.COM> malcolm@Apple.COM (Malcolm Slaney) writes:
:
:Has anybody tried using a write once video disk?  Do any of the writer/readers
:do single frame stuff?  I don't know anything about them but if they don't cost
:very much you can throw away a lot of used discs for $60k.

We do single-frame stuff now and then.  Our Panasonic TQ-2026F Optical Disc
Recorder is at least pretty fast.  You get 24,000 frames on each 8" disc.
The machine is controllable via rs232, so it's pretty easy to make it dance.
The main drawback is the image quality: it really bites.  I mean, it makes
VHS look good.  Still, it's a useful tool for checking animation and is
a lot cheaper than an Abekas, which is why we have two of them.

		--Craig
		...{ucbvax,sun}!pixar!good

	Armed, you are a citizen.  Unarmed, you are a subject.

In article <8911301843.AA01794@harriett.ncsa.uiuc.edu> sam@NCSA.UIUC.EDU (Sam Milosevich) writes:

>  The current address and phone number for VideoLogic is
>   245 First Street
>   Cambridge, MA 02142
>   (617) 494-0530
>  (as I discovered when calling for product information).

Posting this correction from comp.mail.multi-media back to
comp.graphics, my own posting contained old address :-(
--
Markku Savela, VTT/TEL (Technical Research Centre of Finland)

bio_zwbb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (William Busa) (12/01/89)

In article <7925@pixar.UUCP> good@pixar.uucp writes:

>We do single-frame stuff now and then.  Our Panasonic TQ-2026F Optical Disc
>Recorder is at least pretty fast.  You get 24,000 frames on each 8" disc.
>The machine is controllable via rs232, so it's pretty easy to make it dance.
>The main drawback is the image quality: it really bites.

	For those who need higher image quality, check out the Panasonic
TQ-2028F. It is a modified version of the 2026 discussed above, intended,
I guess, for medical and scientific applications. The resolution is 450
horizontal lines, S/N is 45 dB minimum. Best price I found was $12,500 via
Adco Aerospace, Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Quality is certainly better than VHS,
and the most important point is that it is particularly suitable for
single frame stuff, since single-frame playback displays NO flagging and
doesn't eat up the physical medium the way video tape is eaten by still
playback. THE CATCH: the increased resolution (vs the 2026) is due to the
fact that this machine records and plays MONOCHROME only.
--
Dr. William Busa, Dept. of Biology, The Johns Hopkins University, Charles
& 34th Sts., Baltimore, MD 21218              (301) 338-8207

bio_zwbb@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu                 uunet!mimsy!jhunix!bio_zwbb

roseman@rd1632.Dayton.NCR.COM (Robert D. Roseman) (12/05/89)

In article <MSA.89Nov30115343@tel4.tel.vtt.fi> savela@tel.vtt.fi (Markku Savela) writes:

>... a description of new interface card for IBM PC/XT/AT ...
>which claims to do pretty much the same as Parallax offers for Unix
>
>   This card is DVA-4000/ISA from Videologic. Says, it's Digital Video
>Adapter for VGA, uses VGA monitor, non-interlaced, full motion digitized
>video (30 frames/sec NTSC, 25 frames/sec PAL), Video-Audio-Graphics mixing,
>etc... Works under DOS/Microsoft Windows. Designed to be used with M.I.C
>
>   Any experience of using this? ISA-version availability is Nov 89, but

	I have recently ordered this card and software (not yet received)
and would be glad to share my results with anyone interested in 1-2 mos.
After investigating (discussions and reading only) these types of products,
I believe that the DVA-4000 will give the most bang for the buck.  I have
also purchased a VideoWindows card from New Media Graphics (780 Boston
Road, Billerica, Mass 01821 -- 508-663-0666) which has similar
functionality.  I have not been able to test it yet.

>I have only very hazy idea of the cost, complete package with sofware
>under $5000? I would be interested seeing some discussion comparing

	DVA-4000	$2495
	MIC System	  150
	MIC Ref. Manual	   75
	MIC Dev. Tools	  495

	If anyone else has used these products or would like a
product summary of my findings, please email and I will reply in Feb.

Rob Roseman
rob.roseman@dayton.ncr.com
Software Technology, R&D Div.
NCR World Headquarters
Dayton, Ohio

berry@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Berry Kercheval) (12/08/89)

In article <36840@apple.Apple.COM> malcolm@Apple.COM (Malcolm Slaney) writes:
>In article <24213@cup.portal.com> MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:
>>If you're talking $60k for an Abekas, why not just get a D2 digital
>>recorder.
>Has anybody tried using a write once video disk?  Do any of the writer/readers
>do single frame stuff?  I don't know anything about them but if they don't cost
>very much you can throw away a lot of used discs for $60k.

The Panasonic TQ-3031 comes with a RS-232 port and a transcoder built in (!).
It will take RGB at NTSC rates directly.

I was able to interface it to our computers in about 2 hours, most of
which was spent figuring out that I needed DTR brought through the
null modem...

The disks cost from $200-$400 each, and are good for about 30 minutes.
The unit itself is in the  $20,000 neighborhood.

  --berry
--
bERRY Kercheval :: berry@lll-crg.llnl.gov