[comp.graphics] photographing screens

robert@shangri-la.gatech.edu (Robert Viduya) (11/26/89)

Has anyone advice or pointers to information on how to photograph video
screens?  I'm trying to shoot the screen of an SGI 4D/120GT.  I
experimented with a Canon AE-1 with shutter speeds of 1/15 sec and 1/8
sec and let it choose the aperature.  I was also using ASA 400 film.
The results left a bit to be desired.  I lost a lot of red tints
except where the color was solid red and then it stood out too much.
A lot of fine detail was lost as well.  I probably should've used a
lower film speed like possibly ASA 200.  I also suspect that the color
balance was screwed up in the development process and I was wondering
what I could do to prevent that in the future (I don't do my own
development).  Any help would be appreciated.

			robert

--
Robert Viduya					   robert@shangri-la.gatech.edu
Office of Computing Services

rsingh1@dahlia.waterloo.edu (11/27/89)

In article <3777@hydra.gatech.EDU> robert@shangri-la.gatech.edu (Robert Viduya) writes:
>Has anyone advice or pointers to information on how to photograph video
>screens?

I did a bit of this not too long ago.  I'm no ace with a camera though,
but the following info might help:

The film I had the best results with was Kodak Echtochrome 64 (sp?).
It seems to bring out the blues a bit more, which seems to suit the monitor
quite well.

Shutter speed I used was, if I remember correctly, quite short.  I guess
you want a shutter speed faster than 1/60th of a second (ntsc).  I played
around with lots, so I might be wrong on this.

Something that botched up some of my pictures was the monitor I was using.
In the lower right corner, there was a definite darker region than the rest
of the monitor.  Playing with the contrast/brigtness helped a lot.

It would be kind if you could forward any advice you get to me.  Or
summarize to the net if you get lots.  Later

sow@cad.luth.se (Sven-Ove Westberg) (11/27/89)

In article <18678@watdragon.waterloo.edu> rsingh1@dahlia.waterloo.edu () writes:

|Shutter speed I used was, if I remember correctly, quite short.  I guess
|you want a shutter speed faster than 1/60th of a second (ntsc).  I played
|around with lots, so I might be wrong on this.

A short shutter speed couses a dark band over the image. Since beam
have to trace the entire image atleast once. I use a stable tripoid
and a shutter speed around 0.5 sec. You have to try out the exact
exposure figures for the screen you use.

Sven-Ove Westberg, CAD, University of Lulea, S-951 87 Lulea, Sweden.
Internet: sow@cad.luth.se

bio_zwbb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dr. William B. Busa) (11/27/89)

	A short but detailed discussion of tricks for photographing video
monitors can be found in the book:

	Video Microscopy
	by Shinya Inoue
	Plenum Press, NY
	1986

	(see pp. 423-432)

	This work also cites an Eastman Kodak booklet (which I've not
seen), entitled "Photographing Television Images"

	I've found it helpful to use a zoom telephoto lens (80 - 200 mm),
thus setting the camera as far away from the monitor as possible, reducing
the effects of screen curvature.
--
Dr. William Busa, Dept. of Biology, The Johns Hopkins University, Charles
& 34th Sts., Baltimore, MD 21218              (301) 338-8207

bio_zwbb@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu                 uunet!mimsy!jhunix!bio_zwbb

dennisw@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Dennis Ward) (11/27/89)

Check out the Polaroid/hood offering from Tektronix.  They have a good
choice of film and PC-size hood.
--
Dennis Ward    dennisw@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM    C1-820    (206)253-5428

thant@horus.sgi.com (Thant Tessman) (11/28/89)

Some things I've discovered that help make better off screen pictures:

At least 1/30 exposure time (as someone else mentioned).  Requires using
a tripod.

Minimize reflections off the screen.  (Turn off the lights.  Cover the
windows.)

The farther away from the screen you can get, the less the curvature of the
screen warps the image, so if you have a zoom lens, use it.

Make sure the monitor's brightness is adjusted correctly.  The way I do it
is to display solid black, turn up the contrast all the way, and turn down
the brightness until I can't see any 'leaks' in the display.  (I saw a
guy who knew more about monitors do it differently, but I can't
remember what he did.)

Make sure the gamma is adjusted correctly.  On SGI's there is an image at
/usr/people/4Dgifts/iristools/images/gamcal.bw that is a bunch of alternating
stripes of black/white dots and grey areas.  The more correct the gamma,
the harder it is to see the stripes.  Use the 'gamma' command.

Most important:  Display a pattern of either solid 50% grey, or alternating
black and white stripes.  (If the gamma is adjusted correctly, they should
be about the same brightness.)  Use this to find the appropriate apperature
for a good exposure for all the images.  Don't let the camera try to
compensate
for large fields of black.  This will just overexpose the bright parts.

I haven't messed with color filters, so I don't know if it's worth it trying to
compensate for the temperature of the monitors or the film.

If you're spending someone else's money, there are color printers and cameras
that do the right thing.

Good shooting.

thant

  There are several things which I have found help good pictures. The
first is a long exposure from a tripod to eliminate retrace showing up.
The second is to move the camera as far from the tube as you can and
stil frame it. I use a telephoto zoom. This helps overcome the curvature
of the screen. Best trick is a Zenith flat tension mask monitor, which
has a true flat surface.

  Oh, and a dark room is the easiest way to kill reflections I've found.
that the world is flat!" - anon

shirley@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/28/89)

We use 100 speed film for both prints and slides.  We want a slow
high quality film, and this is the slowest that we can get processed
quickly.  We want a slow shudder speed to avoid electron gun visiblity,
but not too slow to avoid nonlinearity problems in the film.  For our
monitor we usually use an f8 apature for about half a second.

We get as far from the screen as we can to avoid distortions near the
corners of the image.  If you have a zoom lens it helps.

We usually use slides because it seems to give the lab less of a
chance to "correct" (screw up) the colors.  Taking some shots
of color bars at the beginning of the roll seems to help.

Like monitors, films have their own gamma.  We've found that with
Ektachrome 100 the whites are white, the blacks are black, and the
greys are too dark.  Our monitor's gamma is around 2.3.  We've found that
using a gamma of about 3.0-3.2 we get better results with Ektachrome.
The image looks crummy on the screen (washed out) but the photos look
much better.

You may find that even with a 24-bit monitor you see contouring.  This
can be especially true in photos.  To avoid this we often dither in
the 24 bit image (I think Roy Hall's book suggests this).  When you've
found an intensity between 0 and 1 and are about  to output this as a
byte, use "byte = floor (254.99999 * I + random_from_0_to_1)".  If you
don't have the ability to gamma correct your monitor, then you might
want to first raise I to an exponent: I = I**(1.0/gamma).

peter shirley
shirley@m.cs.uiuc.edu

Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com (11/28/89)

  Re:  request for help on photographing screens

     I've done a lot of this.  From experience, here's what I recommend:

     1.  Ektachrome 100 or Kodachrome 64 (or similar low ASA color slide
         film).  Fujicolor 100 is also good for prints.
     2.  Approximately 1/2 second exposure but BEWARE, the amount of
         exposure can vary WIDELY with the amount of light and color
         values present in the image being photographed.  Meter for the
         image, then always bracket two extra exposures (take a +1 and a
         -1 exposure).  Slight underexposure yields more saturated color.
         Too fast a shutter speed results in diagonal scan lines showing.
     3.  ALWAYS shoot a TEST screen first.  This has two benefits:
            a)  the processing lab can set slide mount in the right spot,
                and adjust colors correctly for prints
            b) you can set up your camera on the tripod more accurately
         The test picture should consist of a SYMMETRIC image (or nearly
         so, this helps you and the photo lab) with primary colors in
         large blocks, some secondary colors and black and white, plus
         a large cross hair and border AND a rectangle and/or circle in
         the center which approximates what you seen through the lens
         of your camera.  If you line up only on the outer borders of the
         screen, it's not necessarily lined up--you'll find it can look
         'right' and the center might still be way off.
     4.  Always shoot in a darkened room; you may not see the glare, but
         the film will record it.  I shoot in the evenings.  I also cut
         out a black mask, from construction paper for the monitor, so
         the light monitor doesn't glare onto the screen.  You can buy
         monitor hoods, but personally, I think they're overpriced.
     5.  Use a small monitor, if possible, less curvature and more satu-
         rated color.
     6.  If there is more than one graphics mode, set it on the highest
         resolution (e.g., Setlace on an Amiga will double scan lines
         producing more saturated colors).
     7.  Try, if possible, not to create images that go right to the edges
         of the screen.  Unless you have very high depth of field, you
         won't be able to focus both on the outer edges and the inner part
         of the image, again because of curvature.
     8.  Remember to hide your cursor.  Sigh--I know this sounds obvious,
         but you'd be amazed how many people forget, they're so busy getting
         everything else perfect.  A cursor in the middle of a great graphic
         is an unpleasant surprise when you get your pictures back.
     9.  I've gotten best results with a telephoto lens or macro lens.
         70 mm seems good.  In the early days I shot with 50 & 55 mm and got
         too much distortion on the edges.
    10.  ALWAYS use a tripod and a cable release is a good idea too.
    11.  After every 3 or 4 shots, you should redisplay your test
         screen and recheck the viewfinder to see if you're still
         lined up.
   Even with all this preparation, you can expect uneven results.  I get
photos that range from above average to good (for excellent, you need a
direct film recording process).  Some of them even look film recorded, de-
pending on the resolution and structure of the picture being photographed.
Screen shots are good for meeting deadlines and creating proofs.  For really
high quality, send your diskettes to a service bureau, but get a sample first
I've found service bureaus that produce images ranging from very bad to
superb with a variance of only about 20% in price.
                                                        \_
                                                         )\_            _/
                                                         `/)\_     __  //
        __ _____________________________________________  `\\)\_  / '~//
       ///  Julie Petersen  (LadyHawke@cup.portal.com      `\\//\\/|'//'
      ///           Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com)      (\/Yyyy/'
__   ///   The things he said have never been disproved,   /Yyyy/'
\\\ ///   only dismissed.       --Peter Reich             //\\  LadyHawke
 \\///   ______________________________________________  ///\\\

John.Mood@p110.f12.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John Mood) (11/28/89)

In an article of <25 Nov 89 17:42:23 GMT>, robert@shangri-la.gatech.edu (Robert
Viduya) writes:

 RV> From: robert@shangri-la.gatech.edu (Robert Viduya)
 RV> Date: 25 Nov 89 17:42:23 GMT
 RV> Newsgroups: comp.graphics
 RV>
 RV> Has anyone advice or pointers to information on how to photograph
 RV> video
 RV> screens?  I'm trying to shoot the screen of an SGI 4D/120GT.  I
 RV> experimented with a Canon AE-1 with shutter speeds of 1/15 sec and 1/8
 RV> sec and let it choose the aperature.  I was also using ASA 400 film.

     Take and lock your shutter speed at 1/15 then bracket DOWN (smaller
f-stops) from the camera's choices for aperture. I think this may help you
prevent washout of the colors in the brighter areas. You will need to operate
the camera manually.

 RV> balance was screwed up in the development process and I was wondering
 RV> what I could do to prevent that in the future (I don't do my own
 RV> development).  Any help would be appreciated.

     You might want to go to a custom lab, and tell them that the first frame
is a greyscale card (available at your local custom printing labs). Tell them
to balance for color on that, then lock the settings for color balance. Most
labs will automatically evaluate the color balance on each frame, based on an
average of what appears in 'most' frames. This is obviously not worth a toot
for screen photos... It's there on the film, and not screwed up in development.
It's the color balance on the photo printer.

John Mood
P.O. Box 12352
Columbia, S.C. 29211-2352

Disclaimer: Hell, I ain't even responsible for what I do!

John Mood == ...!usceast!uscacm!12.110!John.Mood

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (11/28/89)

> Robert Viduya writes:
> >Has anyone advice or pointers to information on how to photograph video
> >screens?

rsingh1@dahlia.waterloo.edu writes:
> Shutter speed I used was, if I remember correctly, quite short.  I guess
> you want a shutter speed faster than 1/60th of a second (ntsc).  I played
> around with lots, so I might be wrong on this.

(sorry if I got the attributions backwards).

This information is WRONG! Your shutter must be open at least one full
(and preferably two full) screen write cycles which are usually 1/30 second.
Speeds of 1/30 to 1/15 should work for most screens. (The shutter is a
traveling window. It is not all open at the same time -- the first
curtain opens and the second follows to close it resulting in a traveling
slit at high speed. To capture the screen, you must have the speed slow enough
that the entire shutter is open at once long enough for the screen to write
an image.)

To avoid loss of detail, it is essential to use a very solid tripod
or vibration (including the mirror movement in the camera) will cause
blur.

The speed of the film won't make that much difference between about 25 and 400
since the camera will adjust the f-stop. The finer grain of slower speed film
is wasted when the monitor has a maximum resolution of around 72 dots/inch.
Some types of *slide* film have a slightly different color balance, notably
Ektachrome and Fujichrome -- but in general, this is a waste of time since
the adjustment of the monitor will have much (several orders of magnitude)
greater effect. I would suggest 100 speed slide or print film.

Turn off the room lights or use a hood. Reflections will cause problems.

See what arpeture the camera picks and then shoot additional picutres at
-1, -2, +1 and +2 f-stops for slides or at -2 and +2 for prints. After a few
test rolls, use the setting that works the best in the future. The slides
will show you reasonably true colors. The prints are another story (see below).
In both cases, you may want to use an ultraviolet filter over the lens
to avoid color distortion be light you can't see.

For slides, the colors are as they are taken (with any ultraviolet distortion).
For prints, the colors are usually screwed up by the processing lab. The
problem is that the automatic  print making machines are set to balance the
color to an average gray. Whenever you have a picture with a solid background
that is not gray, you get what is called "subject failure." That means that
the picture itself (unlike most snapshots) does not balance to average gray.
For example, if the background is blue, the print will be too yellow to
attempt to make it balance to average gray.

Your best bet is to use a local lab and tell them that the roll of print
film has "subject failure" and that they should lock the machine at the
base setting for the film type when printing instead of letting it pick
the color balance. (The base setting is the setting that would be used for
an exactly average snapshot that already balances exactly to gray. The
base setting does not cause distortion.)

Good luck!

Jim Winer
opinions not necessarily |  "And remember, rebooting your brain
and do not represent     |   can be tricky." -- Chris Miller
any other sane person    |
especially not employer. |

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (11/29/89)

While we're on the subject, I've had excelent results with Polaroid
slide film.  Your boss will probably be really impressed when you have
a slide show ready in 30 minutes.  Of course, he/she may take advantage
of your speed and make you "improve" it.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

nick@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (11/29/89)

Forgive me if this goes out twice - I got back some garbage and am
trying from a different machine

In article <18678@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, rsingh1@dahlia.waterloo.edu writes:
> In article <3777@hydra.gatech.EDU> robert@shangri-la.gatech.edu (Robert Viduya) writes:
> >Has anyone advice or pointers to information on how to photograph video
> >screens?

> Shutter speed I used was, if I remember correctly, quite short.  I guess
> you want a shutter speed faster than 1/60th of a second (ntsc).  I played
> around with lots, so I might be wrong on this.

Maybe everyone knows this, but here are some hints gained from long
years of experience - some of my screen shots are in the first SIGGRAPH
proceedings (1974).

 Your monitor is putting up a complete picture in 1/60 (noninterlaced
displays) or 1/30 (interlaced) second. If you use a shorter exposure,
you won't get the whole picture. Your best bet is to use 1/2 second or
1 sec - if you get 15.25 or 29.75 frames it won't matter too much -
assuming you've got a still image on the screen!!! I find Ektachrome 100
or 200 does pretty well - stop down to f/8 or so and you'll have some
depth of field to accomodate CRT curvature.

 Always bracket your exposures +/- a stop or two. Using up film is
much less of a pain than going through the whole process all over again.
If you use your meter to check exposure, remember to consider your
total image - if you meter a small white area (text) on a big black
background, you'll get the wrong answer - by a couple of stops !!
Think of it this way - your camera meter will give you a great exposure
of a grey object. If what you meter is mostly black, then the camera
will try to make that grey - close down to make it black again. If you
are shooting black text on a white background, then open up a few stops.

Record what you shoot - look at the results and write them down for
future use - assuming you don't fiddle with the brightness and contrast
in the meantime.

 Another hint is to use a longer than normal lens (for a 35mm camera,
don't use the 50mm lens, use 85mm or 105mm or so). This'll put you
further away from the screen, but will help with the perspective
distortion.

 Always use a tripod of course. And if you don't have a cable release,
try using the self-timer on your camera. That way you'll have your big
shaky hand off the camera when the shutter opens. On some cameras, there
is an added bonus as the SLR mirror will swing up at the start of the
self-timer period, vibrations will dampen down, and then the shutter
will open.

 Much harder to do, but better is to build a gadget that'll blank video,
open your camera shutter, unblank video for exactly one (or N) frames(s)
and then blank the video again. If you don't know how to build such a
gadget, find someone who does. Use in a dark room of course !!

Finally, if possible forget all this stuff and use a machine made for
the job (Matrix Instruments or whoever) if you've got the $$$$.

Nick England
Director, Visualization Technology
Sun Microsystems Inc
nengland@sun.com

3ksnn64@pur-ee.UUCP (Joe Cychosz) (11/29/89)

In article <3777@hydra.gatech.EDU> robert@shangri-la.gatech.edu (Robert Viduya) writes:
>Has anyone advice or pointers to information on how to photograph video
>screens?  I'm trying to shoot the screen of an SGI 4D/120GT.
I have a SGI here, and shoot most of my slides/prints from it.

>experimented with a Canon AE-1 with shutter speeds of 1/15 sec and 1/8
>sec and let it choose the aperature.  I was also using ASA 400 film.
I don't know how you have configured your Canon (I assume AE means some
form of automatic).  I would set the speed and aperature manually as
described below.  Also, get rid of the 400 speed film, it is too grainy
and has poor color properties for this application.  Use 100.

>The results left a bit to be desired.  I lost a lot of red tints
>except where the color was solid red and then it stood out too much.
>A lot of fine detail was lost as well.  I probably should've used a
>lower film speed like possibly ASA 200.
These are all properties of using 400 speed film and printing problems.

> I also suspect that the color
>balance was screwed up in the development process and I was wondering
>what I could do to prevent that in the future (I don't do my own
>development).
I think you mean printing and not the developing of the film.  This is
probably the most crutial step.  The expose time and aperature settings
are fairly forgiving for ASA 100 film.  It is in the printing where
the color is realy determined.  Below discusses printing on comercial
machines.  Since you are doing your own work, I can't help much other
than suggesting that you determining what is the equivalent of density
in your printing process.

Here is my guide to photographing computer graphics displays.  This was
posted a while ago in comp.graphics.  I have updated it some to discuss
the problems of the Nikon 70-210mm lens and some printing info on
specific machines.

Film:
   I use Kodak ASA 100 print film for prints and Ektachrome ASA 100
(Ektachrome 64 is no longer available) for slides.

Setup:
   This is the longest and most crucial step.  It is important to get the
lens as perpendicular as possible to the screen.  Things to watch for are
monitors which tilt (like Suns or SGIs).  I also try to get the lens as
close as possible to the screen and still be able to focus. This helps
reduce the effects of the curvature of the screen.  For a 70-210mm Macro
Nikon this is about 2 ft at 70mm.  This contradicts what one might think
in that one would expect the flattest photo to appear by getting as far
away as possible and shooting with as long of a lens as possible.  The
problem is in the distoration in the lens system at 210mm.  Keep in mind
that a macro lens works on a series of approximations.  What results
is concave pillowing which is oppisite of the convex pillowing caused by
the curvature of the screen.  The optimal flat picture occurs when the
convexed pillowing of the screen is balanced with the concaved pillowing of
the distortion in the lens system.  Since I do not have a straight 200mm
lens, I have not been able to study and measure the distortion in the
macro.

   One final note: I tend to shoot images that are either 640x480 or 512x
512 off of the SGI.  I have shot full screen images, but the curvature of
the screen gets a bit difficult to control, especially with the 70-210
lens problems.

Exposure:
   I use a 1/2 second exposure at f8 with half a stop added in.  To bracket
the exposure I also shoot a f5.6 and a f11 exposure.  With ASA 100 speed film
the exposure can be fairly forgiving.  That is to say, you'll get a
reasonable picture as long as the exposure and f-stop are within reason.
Never shoot faster than the refresh rate of the monitor, 1/60th.  A wide
black bar will appear on the screen.  This even goes for taking pictures
of monitors sitting in rooms.  If you do you will endup with black bars on
the screen.  For room shots I use 1/8 second or longer.

   I have shot 1 second exposures at f8 and have had similar results
out of a sugestion of Craig Good at Pixar.  Again, ASA 100 speed film is
pretty forgiving.

   I have found the exposue metering systems in cameras to unreliable when
determining the exposue.  This is especially true when shooting vector
displays.  Also, you want to avoid full white areas such as menu areas
and the like.  Change them to a 70 - 80% grey.  The pictures will look
much nicer when printed.

Processing:
   For prints I usually tell the people that process my film that the
roll contains computer graphics.  Many film printers are computered
controlled and are setup for printing people, sky, grass, trees and other
things which you would find in normal photos.  These printers usually
lose it when the get a picture with lots of black and fully saturated
colors.  Vectors are the hardest to process.

   I use a Noritsu and a Fuji machine for my processing.  Usually
one or two units of density must be added (i.e., +1, +2) for computer
graphics shots.  The process you are going through is to balance the
quality of the color with the quality of black.  If you don't do this
you will end up with brown instead of black.  The Noritsu and Fuji will
will print on the back of the photo what settings were used.  So if you
do reprints bring the old photo in so the processor can see what settings
they used last time.  Examples follow below:

	Noritsu:
		896 45 N N N 6 2

		896   = Sequence number
		 45   = Film code (45 = Kodak 100)
		N N N = Yellow, Magenta, Cyan print levels.
			N = neutral, there will be numbers -1, +1, etc.
			for non-neutral settings.
		  6   = Density setting.
		  2   = Ignore.

	Fuji:
		79  010005 28 +01
		+0 -01+02 NN    -5  0

		79    = Sequence number.
		010005= Film/vendor/speed code (Kodak 100)
		28    = Daily density setting, results from calibration.
		+01   = Density setting.
		+0 -01+02 = Cyan, Magenta, Yellow print leves.
			+0 = neutral.
		NN    = Ignore.
		-5  0 = Ignore.

   One other problem the film processing machines have is alignment.
Lets say you are shooting pictures of some square 512x512 images.
The film processor will more than likely assume that the left edge
of the image is the left edge of the picture.  I will not center it for
you.  This will also happen with slides.  To solve this problem two
things can be done.  One: shoot a few fully exposed pictures at the
beginning of the roll so the machine can set where the left edge is
for the rest of the roll.  Or two: us an alignment background pattern
like I do.  This looks something like this:

                ----------------------------------
                !               !                !
                !               !                !
                !       -----------------        !
                !       !               !        !
                !       !               !        !
                !-------! Image         !        !
                !       !               !        !
                !       !               !--------!
                !       !               !        !
                !       -----------------        !
                !                 !              !
                ----------------------------------

I am in the process of working on a calibration image which will help
the process people make there settings.  I am also working on reducing
the yellow edges which appear (especially at red and green boundries).
I don't expect to have any of this done sometime soon though.

In article <1788@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>  There are several things which I have found help good pictures. The ...
>
>  Oh, and a dark room is the easiest way to kill reflections I've found.
But be aware of nearby monitors.

Joe

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (11/29/89)

In article <24526@cup.portal.com> Classic_-_Concepts@cup.portal.com writes:
   >  Re:  request for help on photographing screens
   >
   >     I've done a lot of this.  From experience, here's what I recommend:
   >
   >     2.  Approximately 1/2 second exposure but BEWARE, the amount of
   >         exposure can vary WIDELY with the amount of light and color
   >         values present in the image being photographed.  Meter for the

How 'bout checking the reciprocity correction for ``long''
(< 1/15-sec) exposures?  Sure, it'll vary from film to film
but I haven't seen anyone mention this yet. Still, it might
be a good idea to verify that you may or may not need to
increase the exposure or add a filter here and there.

Then again, I've been out of photography for a while.
Please correct me if this is no longer needed with
the ``modern'' films.

			-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"

jh34607@suntc.UUCP (john howell) (11/29/89)

In article <2172@bacchus.dec.com>, klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:
> While we're on the subject, I've had excelent results with Polaroid
> slide film.

Not me ... when the polaroid 35mm slide film first came out around 1983
I tried using it for just this purpose, but could never get very good
color saturation or contrast.  True, it was good in a pinch, but I could
never mix 'real' slides in the presentation since that showed how bad
the polaroid ones were.

Of course ... there probably is a better film stock available today, but
unless it comes in comparable quality to ektachrome, the same problems
would still be there.

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (11/29/89)

Rusty Haddock writes:

> How 'bout checking the reciprocity correction for ``long''
> (< 1/15-sec) exposures?  Sure, it'll vary from film to film
> but I haven't seen anyone mention this yet. Still, it might
> be a good idea to verify that you may or may not need to
> increase the exposure or add a filter here and there.

Reciprocity corrections depend on knowing what the correct exposure
is to start with. When you are using trial and error to determine
the best exposure, there's no point in worring about reciprocity.

tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu (Tom [Chris] Murphy) (11/30/89)

In article <140@suntc.UUCP> jh34607@suntc.UUCP (john howell) writes:
>In article <2172@bacchus.dec.com>, klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:
>> While we're on the subject, I've had excelent results with Polaroid
>> slide film.
>
>Not me ... when the polaroid 35mm slide film first came out around 1983
>I tried using it for just this purpose, but could never get very good
>color saturation or contrast.  True, it was good in a pinch, but I could
>never mix 'real' slides in the presentation since that showed how bad
>the polaroid ones were.
>
>Of course ... there probably is a better film stock available today, but

Well, sorry to say it seems no better.  We do a lot of slides here from a
Presentation Technologies Imagemaker (a neat box that eats HPGL) and have
occasionally used Polaroid slide film.  Our graphics art person often
complains about contrast and color problems with the film.

Thomas C. Murphy                  Worcester Polytechnic Institute CAD Lab
         Internet:   tmurphy@wpi.wpi.edu   tmurphy@zaphod.wpi.edu
             BITNET:     TMURPHY@WPI           BIX:  tmurphy
                          CompuServe: 73766,130

If the Universe is constantly expanding, why can't I ever find a parking space?

m_rhoten@portia.Stanford.EDU (matt rhoten) (11/30/89)

 I haven't had much problem with failure of exposure due to lack of
reciprocicity (sp?) with exposures shorter than 1/8 second. Perhaps
this was due to the film I was using (Kodak 100). But in most cases
a camera store will have information on how much to correct for the
exposure.
 -Matt Rhoten
--
-------
Internet: m_rhoten@portia.stanford.edu

dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) (12/01/89)

In article <264@fe2o3.UUCP> rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) writes:

>How 'bout checking the reciprocity correction for ``long''
>(< 1/15-sec) exposures?  Sure, it'll vary from film to film
>but I haven't seen anyone mention this yet. Still, it might
>be a good idea to verify that you may or may not need to
>increase the exposure or add a filter here and there.

The reciprocity data for films assumes a constant exposure level
during the exposure time.  If you're making a 1 second exposure
of a normally-lit scene, the light reaching the film is pretty dim,
and reciprocity compensation is needed.

But if you are shooting a CRT, the light actually reaches the
film as 60-70 short pulses of light each second, each of which is
considerably brighter than the average light level.  I would expect
that little or no reciprocity compensation is needed.  (I've never
used any).

The limiting case of this effect happens with digital film recorders.
The entire exposure may take 5 minutes, but each point on the film
is exposed to light of each colour exactly once, with an "exposure time"
that is determined mostly by the decay time of the CRT phosphor -
somewhere in the microsecond to millisecond range.  If reciprocity
compensation is needed, it's due to very short exposure time, not
long exposure.

About using spot meters:  If you have a spot meter that will reliably
meter a flickering source (the Pentax digital will not, the Minolta
digital will, and any analog one should), measure a full-intensity
white area in the middle of the screen, then give about 2.5 stops
more exposure than that.  Or, if you meter understands making
highlight readings, do that, and it will make the 2.5 stop compenstation
internally.

Either way, you ensure that the highest intensity that your CRT
can produce will fall at the upper edge of the linear portion of
a slide film's response curve, guaranteeing a good exposure with
maximum shadow detail.  (Negative films have a longer range, and
you might be able to get better results with more than 2.5 stops
increase).

This method is actually better than measuring an "18% grey" patch.
The actual brightness of an "18% grey" patch depends on how accurately
you do "gamma correction" for the monitor, while white is white no
matter how messed up your gamma correction is.

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (12/04/89)

Rusty Haddock asks:

	How 'bout checking the reciprocity correction for ``long'' (<
	1/15-sec) exposures?

Reciprocity tends to break down (``reciprocity failure'') at much
longer times than those being reccomended for this kind of work.
Especially for slower films.  Ektachrome 100, for instance, would
become a problem at around 4 seconds of exposure; at that point, i'd
rather worry about vibration from your officemate slamming the door.

/jordan

Leo.Waltz@f270.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Waltz) (12/09/89)

I'm also wondering about proper focal length of lenses to use to minimize
the corner distortion of some monitors.  I assume that the greater the
focal length the better.  Any comments ?

Chris_F_Chiesa@cup.portal.com (12/10/89)

This seems to be an "old" topic, but what the heck, I don't get to the News
very often...

  My father is a professional photographer and is occasionally called upon
to photograph a computer display; as I recall, he usually puts the camera
on a tripod, uses as "long" a lens, at as much of a distance, as is feas-
ible (i.e. he can't, if there's no space to "move back"), then TURNS THE
AMBIENT (room) LIGHTS DOWN OR OFF and uses an exposure anywhere from 1/30
to SEVERAL seconds, depending on the light level coming from the display.  If
the client wants also to show the computer itself, WITH display image,
Dad will fire an electronic flash unit AFTER exposing for the display,
thereby giving brief illumination to the surrounding objects...

3ksnn64@pur-ee.UUCP (Joe Cychosz) (12/12/89)

In article <5204.2581ACEC@urchin.fidonet.org> Leo.Waltz@f270.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Waltz) writes:
>I'm also wondering about proper focal length of lenses to use to minimize
>the corner distortion of some monitors.  I assume that the greater the
>focal length the better.  Any comments ?

This is in general true.  However when working with Macro-zoom lens such
as the Nikon 70-210mm.  The problem is in the distoraton in the lens system
at 210mm.  For a 70-210mm Macro Nikon I use about 2 ft at 70mm.

In article <13793@pur-ee.UUCP> 3ksnn64@pur-ee.UUCP (Joe Cychosz) writes:

| This is in general true.  However when working with Macro-zoom lens such
| as the Nikon 70-210mm.  The problem is in the distoraton in the lens system
| at 210mm.  For a 70-210mm Macro Nikon I use about 2 ft at 70mm.
| This contradicts what one might think
| in that one would expect the flattest photo to appear by getting as far
| away as possible and shooting with as long of a lens as possible.

  Certainly that's the technique I see most recommended and the one I
have used. I never tried going very close, but I will probably try it
over the holidays, since I'll have some shots at the end of a roll, no doubt.
that the world is flat!" - anon