Date: 17 Oct 1984 1733-EDT (Wednesday)
From: vax135!houxm!somewhere!homxa!carson
To: houxm!vax135!petsd!randee
Subject: Re: request for apple recipies

Some things I do with apples (I went out to East***** Orchards and
got 1/2 bushel...)

Joy of Cooking has a really good recipe for apple chutney.

I cut up apples really finely (quarter, cut out core, slice each
quarter lengthwise into 3-4 slices, then cut across into 1/4" (?)
bits) and use in place of zuccini/carrots in quick bread.

I also cut really fine, saute in some butter, add some sliced
cabbage when the apples are starting to get tender, add vinegar
enough to make sweet and sour stuff.

I was going to try to say how to make applesauce, until I realized
that it was mostly you dump water in (How much water. I dunno--enough)
Actually peal the apples and quarter them, cut out the cores (unless
you have something like a Foley food mill, in which case, you only
have to quarter them and cut out the stem and blossom end...) Put
in a pot with water (like something more than a cup for 6 quarts ???--
actually it depends on the variety of apple) on low heat, until they
are real mushy.  Stir around and add sugar to taste.

Pies: Put in some vanilla.

Patty

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 84 03:32:47 edt
From: vax135!ulysses!watmath!utzoo!tanner
To: watmath!clyde!burl!ulysses!mhuxj!houxm!vax135!petsd!randee

My favourite is apple crisp, easy and good.
Peel and cut up about 6 medium apples into a casserrole dish
(about 3" deep) (and  about 9" in diameter).
Mix 1/2 c flour
3/4 c rrolled oats
3/4 c brown sugar
Add 1/2 c melted butter, mix well.
Put this mixture on top of the apples, covering
them evenly. Don't press it down, leave it fairly crumbly.
Bake 45-50 min at 350.
Let cool about 10 min.
Eat with fresh cream.

Date: 23 Oct 1984 0434-EDT (Tuesday)
From: vax135!ihnp4!dual!amd!decwrl!flairvax!lneff
To: amd!dual!zehntel!ihnp4!houxm!vax135!petsd!randee
Subject: Applesauce

Greetings.  Here, off the top of my head, is my recipe for applesauce.

	4 cups sliced peeled apples
	1/4 cup sugar or to taste
	1/4 cup water
	cinnamon to taste, up to about 1/4 teaspoon
	a little nutmeg
	a little mace

Put everything in a pot.  Turn the heat on low and cook until the apples
are tender.  Stir every now and then.  Takes about an hour?
Makes about 2 cups.  This should work in a microwave oven also.

I like homemade applesauce chunky, so I don't bother to mash it.
The water is there to generate a little steam and to keep the apples
from burning until they juice up themselves.  You don't have to stick
to this recipe size; I've made up to 5 or 6 recipes at a time.
My mother has had success canning this stuff, although I usually just eat
it up.

I would think any cookbook could give you a recipe for apple pie; just
use the filling part in your premade crust.  The recipe I use uses
about 7 peeled sliced apples, some sugar, some spices, and a little
flour to absorb some of the excess juice.  You could probably scale
up the above recipe, omitting the water and adding a little flour.
Oh yes, I usually dot a teaspoon or so of butter over the top before
putting the top crust on.

				Regards,
				Laura Neff
				!ucbvax!decwrl!flairvax!lneff