[comp.graphics] HOOPS vs. PHIGS+

sg04@GTE.COM (Steven Gutfreund) (12/29/89)

I tried this before, but let me try once more:

Does anyone have useful opinions on the advantages of HOOPS vs. PHIGS.
Are there better packages than either. Which package is more likely
to suceed?

Yechezkal Shimon Gutfreund		 		  sgutfreund@gte.com
GTE Laboratories, Waltham MA			    harvard!bunny!sgutfreund

jch@apollo.HP.COM (Jan Hardenbergh) (01/04/90)

> From: sg04@GTE.COM (Steven Gutfreund)
> Date: 28 Dec 89 16:25 GMT

> Does anyone have useful opinions on the advantages of HOOPS vs. PHIGS.
> Are there better packages than either. Which package is more likely
> to suceed?

All I know about HOOPS is that it is object oriented and has been around
at least since 1986 SIGGRAPH. I know a bit more about PHIGS ( by which I
mean the combination of ANSI PHIGS88 and PHIGS-PLUS ). I think that PHIGS
is a good match for exploiting graphics hardware. Most people who produce
graphics hardware sell native PHIGS implementations. These implementations
are starting to rival the proprietary graphics packages in performance.

If you are looking for whiz-bang features of particular hardware then
proprietary graphics packages that come with that hardware are worth
checking out.

If you are more concerned with flexibility and extensibility than with
performance then an object oriented package is worth checking out. HOOPS
gets mentioned a far amount. In the X world there is Interviews, which
is also an object oriented graphics package.

PHIGS, which has been a standard for just about a year now already has
major applications using it. Interviews and HOOPS will proboably also
"succeed".

Hope this general answer to some general questions helps,

-Jan Hardenbergh - jch@apollo.hp.com - HP/Graphics Technology@Apollo