[comp.graphics] Matrix PCR film printer -- query

kelvin@cs.utexas.edu (Kelvin Thompson) (01/03/90)

Hit 'n' now if you don't own and use a Matrix Instruments film printer.

I just tried our Matrix PCR on some Kodak Gold 100 print film.
I've done slides in the past with pretty good results, but the
prints came out awful -- overexposed, with bad colors.

Has anyone else had success with this kind of film?  Does anyone
have a color-correcting LUT for this kind of film?  Can anyone
recommend some other kind of print film that might be better?

I need some help very soon.  Thanks in advance.

--
-- Kelvin Thompson, Lone Rider of the Apocalypse
   kelvin@cs.utexas.edu  {...,uunet}!cs.utexas.edu!kelvin

jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca (John Stewart) (01/06/90)

In article <138@qt.cs.utexas.edu> kelvin@cs.utexas.edu (Kelvin Thompson) writes:
>Hit 'n' now if you don't own and use a Matrix Instruments film printer.
>
>I just tried our Matrix PCR on some Kodak Gold 100 print film.
>I've done slides in the past with pretty good results, but the
>prints came out awful -- overexposed, with bad colors.

Probably, the negatives are exposed correctly, but on printing, the
printer probably exposed the negative to get a good shade of grey.
Not what you want.

Either: 1) print them yourself,
        2) go to a custom photographic lab and specify exactly what you
           want,
        3) shoot slides.

Slides will give you more "zip", as slide film tends to have a
shorter latitude. 100 asa print film is close to the usual slide
films, so I would not expect that you got the exposure wrong.

Just my opinions, from a used-to-be-part-time-professional
photographer.

John Stewart.

hutch@fps.com (Jim Hutchison) (01/06/90)

In <724@ncs.dnd.ca> jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca (John Stewart) writes:
>In <138@qt.cs.utexas.edu> kelvin@cs.utexas.edu (Kelvin Thompson) writes:
>[...]
>>I just tried our Matrix PCR on some Kodak Gold 100 print film.
>>I've done slides in the past with pretty good results, but the
>>prints came out awful -- overexposed, with bad colors.
>>
>Probably, the negatives are exposed correctly, but on printing, the
>printer probably exposed the negative to get a good shade of grey.
>Not what you want.

Ahh, so nice.  If this turns out to be your problem, you can probably
get your printer to cooperate by running either of the PCR's test
images as the first exposure in your negatives.  Both include ramps
for your printer to calibrate with.

Past slides I have shot where on Kodak Ektachrome 100 ASA slide, and
the LUTs did make a difference in quality.  Sorry I have no LUTs to
give you.

--
/*    Jim Hutchison   		{dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!celerity!hutch  */
/*    Disclaimer:  I am not an official spokesman for FPS computing   */