[comp.graphics] Fractals as Bad Science

ph@miro.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Heckbert) (11/15/89)

There's an interesting opinion piece on the hype and publicity regarding
fractals in the current issue of "Mathematical Intelligencer":

    Steven Krantz
    "Fractal Geometry"
    The Mathematical Intelligencer, Vol. 11, No. 4, Fall 1989.

which you should be able to find in a nearby college library.
To quote some of Krantz' more provocative statements:

    "Hailed as a lingua franca for all of science, the theory of
    fractals is said by some to be the greatest idea since calculus.
    One notable difference between fractal geometry and calculus
    is that fractal geometry has not solved any problems.
    It is not even clear that it has created any new ones."

The journal also printed a rebuttal by Mandelbrot, who basically
defends his work as highly regarded, but does not address Krantz'
contention that the study of fractals has been unscientific.

Check it out!

Paul Heckbert, CS grad student
508-7 Evans Hall, UC Berkeley		INTERNET: ph@miro.berkeley.edu
Berkeley, CA 94720

In article <19544@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, ph@miro.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Heckbert) writes:
|  The journal also printed a rebuttal by Mandelbrot, who basically
|  defends his work as highly regarded, but does not address Krantz'
|  contention that the study of fractals has been unscientific.

  Thanks for the posting. I don't buy the argument that a study is
unscientific if it doesn't solve problems. And I think the problem it
has raised is "how does this relate to the real world?" I will try to
find the article if I can.
that the world is flat!" - anon

musgrave-forest@CS.YALE.EDU (F. Ken Musgrave) (11/16/89)

In article <19544@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> ph@miro.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Heckbert) writes:
>There's an interesting opinion piece on the hype and publicity regarding
>fractals in the current issue of "Mathematical Intelligencer":
>
>    Steven Krantz
>    "Fractal Geometry"
>    The Mathematical Intelligencer, Vol. 11, No. 4, Fall 1989.
>
>which you should be able to find in a nearby college library.
>To quote some of Krantz' more provocative statements:
>
>    "Hailed as a lingua franca for all of science, the theory of
>    fractals is said by some to be the greatest idea since calculus.
>    One notable difference between fractal geometry and calculus
>    is that fractal geometry has not solved any problems.
>    It is not even clear that it has created any new ones."
>
>The journal also printed a rebuttal by Mandelbrot, who basically
>defends his work as highly regarded, but does not address Krantz'
>contention that the study of fractals has been unscientific.

  Fractal geometry is a very new and general field, and to date largely
ill-defined.  One could say that this is symptomatic of its generality.
At any rate, detractors such as Krantz should help to develop its form
and definition - such dialectic is necessary to determine the true import
of fractal geometry.

  Mandelbrot deigned to address Krantz's specific inaccurate claims against
himself and fractal geometry, not his grandiose statements such as you
quote above.  One should not bother, probably, to try to rebut statements
such as "...the emperor has no clothes".

  It is clear that Krantz, with credentials far inferior to Mandelbrot's,
has a personal vendetta to pursue (his motivation for this is evident in his
article and is not ill-founded), and it is only of dialectical interest to
give credence to his rhetoric.

  But it is of great dialectical interest!  What is the power, and what
are the limitations of fractal geometry as a language for the description of
Nature?  It is far too soon to tell, as Krantz, Mandelbrot, and Kadanoff
all agree.

  In the meantime, the quality of mathematics, science, and art associated
with fractal geometry will vary widely.  Such public conversations as Krantz's
will serve to keep researchers who touch upon the field, honest.

  That fractal geometry recommends itself to the senses, both trained and
untrained, is not to be helped and is indeed to many of us a powerful indi-
cation that it is somehow essential to Nature.  This aspect of fractals will
serve to keep them in high public profile to have them appear to be "hyped"
as compared with other mathematics and science.  Some mathematicians and
scientists will therefore feel compelled to discharge their slings and arrows
at "the emperor" to 'keep him down to size'; this is human nature and even an
indispensable dynamic to intellectual inquiry.

  Let the controversy rage on!

*===============================================================*
F. Kenton ("Ken") Musgrave	arpanet: musgrave-forest@yale.edu
Yale U Depts of Math and CS	(203) 432-4016
Box 2155 Yale Station		Primary Metaphysical Principle:
New Haven, CT 06520				Deus ex machina

billd@fps.com (Bill Davids_on) (11/16/89)

In article <1619@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <19544@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, ph@miro.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Heckbert) writes:
>|  The journal also printed a rebuttal by Mandelbrot, who basically
>|  defends his work as highly regarded, but does not address Krantz'
>|  contention that the study of fractals has been unscientific.
>
>  Thanks for the posting. I don't buy the argument that a study is
>unscientific if it doesn't solve problems. And I think the problem it
>has raised is "how does this relate to the real world?" I will try to
>find the article if I can.

Here is another excerpt from Krantz for those of you who may have trouble
finding a copy:

	     There is an important issue implicit in this discussion that
	I would now like to examine.  A famous counterexample (due to
	Celso Costa) in the theory of minimal surfaces was inspired by
	the viewing of a Brazilian documentary about samba schools -- it
	seems that one of the dancers wore a traditional hat of a bizarre
	character that was later reflected in the shape of the example.  I
	once thought of an interesting counterexample by lying on my back
	and watching the flight of seagulls.  Whatever the merits of
	samba dancers and seagulls may be, they are not scientists and
	they are not mathematicians.  Why should fractal geometers be
	judged any differently?

I think this guy just wants to get a little fame for himself.  Maybe
he's just annoyed that there is so much emphasis on fractals these
days (actually he alludes to this in the next to last paragraph where
he talks about how getting money to buy hardware to do fractals is
easier than getting money to study algeraic geometry).  I still think
he's a dweeb for writing the paragraph I just quoted.  It was
completely uncalled for.

The editor's note says that Krantz originally submitted this paper to
the American Mathematical Society (AMS) and the editor asked for
changes (which were made).  Upon second review, he decided that it was
still too strong and requested more changes and Krantz declined
and complained to the Council of the AMS because he wasn't getting
published as previously agreed.  Krantz had distributed copies of
the paper after the first revisions to several mathematicians (including
Mandelbrot).  It ended up never getting published by the AMS and the
Mathematical Intelligencer picked it up along with Mandelbrot's
rebuttal.

I do think it's good that someone's watching the fractal geometers
and not allowing them to get away with just showing pretty pictures
but Krantz has crossed the line from being a skeptic to being a jerk.

--Bill Davids_on

brucec@demiurge.WV.TEK.COM (Bruce Cohen;685-2439;61-028) (11/17/89)

In article <3775@celit.fps.com> billd@fps.com (Bill Davids_on) writes:
>I think this guy just wants to get a little fame for himself.  Maybe
>he's just annoyed that there is so much emphasis on fractals these
>days (actually he alludes to this in the next to last paragraph where
>he talks about how getting money to buy hardware to do fractals is
>easier than getting money to study algeraic geometry).  I still think
>he's a dweeb for writing the paragraph I just quoted.  It was
>completely uncalled for.

Now I'm sorry I let my subscription to the Intelligencer lapse; sounds like
some real juicy flammage.  I think what you're seeing here is the classic
antipathy of "pure" mathematicians for "applied" mathematics.  The quotes
are because I don't think anyone can really tell where the line is drawn;
maybe there aren't any real distinctions in the mathematics, and all you
can say is that there are pure and applied mathematicians.  In any case, I
believe that the Intelligencer is where I saw the quote: "Applied
mathematics is bad mathematics."  I *believe* the quote was attributed to
Paul Halmos, but I won't swear to it; if I'm wrong, be gentle with me.

"Small men in padded bras don't look the same falling from high places."
	- R.A. MacAvoy, "The Third Eagle"
Bruce Cohen
brucec@orca.wv.tek.com
Interactive Technologies Division, Tektronix, Inc.
M/S 61-028, P.O. Box 1000, Wilsonville, OR  97070

glenn@eos.UUCP (Glenn Meyer) (11/17/89)

musgrave-forest@CS.YALE.EDU (F. Ken Musgrave) writes:

>  It is clear that Krantz, with credentials far inferior to Mandelbrot's,
>has a personal vendetta to pursue (his motivation for this is evident in his
>article and is not ill-founded), and it is only of dialectical interest to
>give credence to his rhetoric.

>  But it is of great dialectical interest!  What is the power, and what
>are the limitations of fractal geometry as a language for the description of
>Nature?  It is far too soon to tell, as Krantz, Mandelbrot, and Kadanoff
>all agree.

>  In the meantime, the quality of mathematics, science, and art associated
>with fractal geometry will vary widely.  Such public conversations as Krantz's
>will serve to keep researchers who touch upon the field, honest.

>  That fractal geometry recommends itself to the senses, both trained and
>untrained, is not to be helped and is indeed to many of us a powerful indi-
>cation that it is somehow essential to Nature.  This aspect of fractals will
>serve to keep them in high public profile to have them appear to be "hyped"
>as compared with other mathematics and science.

Mr. Musgrave:

1.	Credentials do not a valid argument make. If that were the
case, the "crystal spheres" theory of stellar mechanics, propounded by
so many eminent pre-Renaissance astronomers dating back to Ptolmey,
would never have been so thouroughly discredited.

2.	To some of us, "that fractal geometry recommends itself to the
senses" is NOT a powerful indication that fractals are somehow essential
to Nature. The "looks like" approach to science has been a powerful
persuader in the past -- it sustained Ptolmey's astronomy of cycles and
epicycles for 14 centuries -- but has also sometimes been a great obstacle
to the advance of knowledge.

3.	Fractals don't necessarily recommend themselves "to the senses,
both trained and untrained." For example, a geologist might look at fractal land
formations and respond, "These don't look like land formations. Where are the
strata?"

4.      Fractals don't "appear" to be hyped, they are hyped; or rather,
fractal images are used in hype. If you can use a computer to generate a
structure that looks like something in Nature -- for example, a Purkinje
cell in the human cerebellum -- then you in some eyes will appear to know
something about Purkinje cells, how they work, and how they grew. I have
seen fractals used in fund-raising presentations, for this reason. I have
yet to see anyone verify, scientifically, that fractal imaging is anything
but a visual tool, a paint brush with a mathematical basis.

Glenn Meyer
glenn%{eos,carma}@ames.arc.nasa.gov

--
Glenn Meyer (glenn%carma@{io,aurora,eos,pioneer}.arc.nasa.gov)
CARMA/Sterling Software

hallett@pet3.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (11/18/89)

In article <1619@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
> And I think the problem it has  raised is  "how does this  relate to
> the real world?"

But Bill, isn't that a problem with a whole bunch of studies?  Someone
thinks of a great new thing to study and people are forced to ask, "So
what?"  I've often bucked  at people who want  to study things for the
sheer enjoyment of studying  it - would anyone  care to comment on the
usefulness of study without a goal or use for the acquired knowledge?

Granted I like to tinker  with stuff for  which I don't foresee a use.
Maybe that's the  issue; maybe the results cannot  be  foreseen at the
start of the study?

Who knows,  maybe the study  of fractals will  eventually lead to warp
drive or something...

I guess I've just waffed  on the issue  and  said nothing.  :^) :^)  I
think fractals is useful in the sense that it gives us some insight on
nature  herself, but   then  again, it   is   good  to  avoid  "mental
masturbation" (IMHO).

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

markv@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mark T Vandewettering) (11/18/89)

In article <5594@eos.UUCP> glenn@eos.UUCP (Glenn Meyer) writes:

	[ remarks which are quite eloquently presented ]

>2.	To some of us, "that fractal geometry recommends itself to the
>senses" is NOT a powerful indication that fractals are somehow essential
>to Nature. The "looks like" approach to science has been a powerful
>persuader in the past -- it sustained Ptolmey's astronomy of cycles and
>epicycles for 14 centuries -- but has also sometimes been a great obstacle
>to the advance of knowledge.

	Fractal geometry may be able to generate images which are
	convincing images of nature (and even this I might contest)
	but this in no way indicates anything about the mechanism that
	generates such phenomena.  Hence, there use in computer graphics
	might be justified as an approach to generating convincing
	imagery, but as far as helping to understand real phenomena,
	I have yet to see convincing arguments that fractals are
	of any use whatsoever.  I could draw a bunch of lines that looks
	like a bug, and that doesn't mean I understand anything about the
	nature of bugs.

	"Looks like" is not equivalent to "is like".

>4.      Fractals don't "appear" to be hyped, they are hyped; or rather,
>fractal images are used in hype.

	Total agreement.  Fractal imagery is now appearing on the cover
	of physics journals, computer journals, hell, just about
	everywhere.  To be honest, they bore me, because basically they
	are the same, and on all scales :-)

	If I never saw another Mandlebrot set, or another mountain
	generated with binary subdivision, I would indeed be a glad
	human.

Mark

hutch@fps.com (Jim Hutchison) (11/22/89)

In <1449@mrsvr.UUCP> hallett@gemed.ge.com (Jeffrey A. Hallett) asks:
>In <1619@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) states:
>> And I think the problem it has  raised is  "how does this  relate to
>> the real world?"

>But Bill, isn't that a problem with a whole bunch of studies?  Someone
>thinks of a great new thing to study and people are forced to ask, "So
>what?"  I've often bucked  at people who want  to study things for the
>sheer enjoyment of studying  it - would anyone  care to comment on the
>usefulness of study without a goal or use for the acquired knowledge?

Well, as for "study without a goal", it looks like the goal is to understand
this "strange thing".  The merit of that goal can probably be related to
what you are trying to accomplish in the process.

Anyway, enough of that, how about if I just tell you what i helped me to learn?
Certain "fractal images" show the rate at which an equation converges or
diverges from a given point.  This was incredibly helpful to me when I was
studying numerical methods.  "See the black, bad numbers. see the red, good
numbers."  Then you go and change the algorithm a bit and the shape changes,
because you caused the convergence to change.  O.k., maybe you don't want to
call *that* fractals.

How about the pattern of nerve impulses in a properly functioning heart?
There was a program on Chaos on a network educational TV program, in which
they showed 2 different graphs of nerve activity in the human heart.  The
nice ordered pattern was fibrilation (bad), the disordered (looking) model
was a normal functioning heart.  Seems that ordered pulses are not all that
productive, a nice sort-of-space-filling pattern is apparently much better.
Sorry to quote from TV, but I have no serious interest in medicine.

--
/*    Jim Hutchison   		{dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!celerity!hutch  */
/*    Disclaimer:  I am not an official spokesman for FPS computing   */

prem@geomag.fsu.edu (Prem Subrahmanyam) (11/22/89)

In article <4158@celit.fps.com> hutch@fps.com (Jim Hutchison) writes:
>There was a program on Chaos on a network educational TV program, in which
>they showed 2 different graphs of nerve activity in the human heart.  The
>nice ordered pattern was fibrilation (bad), the disordered (looking) model
>was a normal functioning heart.  Seems that ordered pulses are not all that

   Actually, it was the brain that followed this pattern.  The fibrillating
   heart was chaotic, with a normal heart having a normal rhythm.  The brain
   was coked up to make a repeatable "waveform", otherwise, it was intensely
   random in neural activity.

   By the way, although fractals are a part of chaotic study, chaotic study
   is not just fractals.
   ---Prem Subrahmanyam  (prem@geomag.gly.fsu.edu)

Jim.McNamee@p7.f12.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim McNamee) (11/22/89)

 > The fibrillating heart was chaotic, with a normal heart having a  > normal rhythm.

   Actually, the "normal" heart produces an ECG having a 1/f power spectrum whereas the "sick" heart has a more traditional looking spectrum.

   I have to disagree with Krantz's dim view of the utility of fractals.  Fractals are making contributions to the way we describe and understand all sorts of natural phenomena, much the way calculus did.  The fact that traditional mathematicians have shown little interest in this area neither proves or disproves its worth.

Jim McNamee == ...!usceast!uscacm!12.7!Jim.McNamee

bradley@phillip.edu.au (Bradley White, Systems Programmer) (11/23/89)

In article <4158@celit.fps.com>, hutch@fps.com (Jim Hutchison) writes:
> In <1449@mrsvr.UUCP> hallett@gemed.ge.com (Jeffrey A. Hallett) asks:
>>In <1619@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) states:
>>> And I think the problem it has  raised is  "how does this  relate to
>>> the real world?"
>
>>But Bill, isn't that a problem with a whole bunch of studies?  Someone
[stuff deleted]

> How about the pattern of nerve impulses in a properly functioning heart?
> There was a program on Chaos on a network educational TV program, in which
> they showed 2 different graphs of nerve activity in the human heart.  The
> nice ordered pattern was fibrilation (bad), the disordered (looking) model
> was a normal functioning heart.  Seems that ordered pulses are not all that
> productive, a nice sort-of-space-filling pattern is apparently much better.
> Sorry to quote from TV, but I have no serious interest in medicine.
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How true. I think you have your examples around the wrong way..

> --
> /*    Jim Hutchison   		{dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!celerity!hutch  */
> /*    Disclaimer:  I am not an official spokesman for FPS computing   */
--

Bradley White.                   | Internet: bradley@phillip.edu.au
Phillip Institute of Technology, | ACSnet  : bradley%phillip.edu.au@munnari.oz

zerr@cat50.CS.WISC.EDU (Troy Zerr) (11/23/89)

In article <5383@orca.WV.TEK.COM> brucec@demiurge.WV.TEK.COM (Bruce Cohen) writes:
>I think what you're seeing here is the classic
>antipathy of "pure" mathematicians for "applied" mathematics.  The quotes
>are because I don't think anyone can really tell where the line is drawn;
>maybe there aren't any real distinctions in the mathematics, and all you
>can say is that there are pure and applied mathematicians.  In any case, I
>believe that the Intelligencer is where I saw the quote: "Applied
>mathematics is bad mathematics."
>brucec@orca.wv.tek.com

     You seem to be unclear about what "Applied mathematics" is. . .
The applied mathematician wishes to predict or explain some (usually)
physical situation by constructing a mathematical model and using the
techniques of mathematical proof to derive certain properties of this
model -- which are then reinterpreted in a physical context.
(This definition is woefully incomplete, and excludes entire fields such
as numerical analysis -- but it suffices for the present discussion.)

     For example, suppose I wish to know the shape of a telephone wire
suspended from two telephone poles.  First I make some simplifying
assumptions (e.g. the wire is one-dimensional and of uniform density)
and then reinterpret these assumptions as a differential equation.
I then solve the differential equation, and obtain an equation for  the
curve describing the shape that the (idealized) telephone wire will
assume at equilibrium.  Notice that once I have constructed (and justified
the applicability of) the appropriate differential equation, the
techniques used to derive a solution are as rigorous as those of one
performing "pure" mathematics.  (Theorem Proof Theorem Proof . . .)

     Constrast this with the activity of a prototypical "fractal
geometer", the sort whose books are often seen on bookstore shelves.
I program a computer to start with a triangle, choose
a random (well, not really random since my computer isn't very creative)
point in the triangle, move it above or below the plane of the triangle,
and add new edges to form a pyramid.  I then repeat the procedure with
each of the (Triangular) faces of the pyramid, ad infinitum.  (well, not
really ad infinitum since my computer will only do finitely many calculations
before I run out of coffee and doze off.)  With suitably chosen random numbers,
the resulting picture looks like an island.  (Well, on my crude display
it looks like an island . . . on a more refined display it looks like
a bunch of spikes.)

     Am I to conclude that islands are constructed by some geological
process of repeated subdivision?  Of course not!  All I have done is to
produce a picture which looks (to me) like an island.

     Admittedly, I chose a particularly obnoxious example -- "fractals"
may indeed be good models of some physical phenomena.  I
agree that computer graphics are capable of generating interesting
mathematical QUESTIONS, and that Hausdorff measure and Hausdorff
dimension are interesting on solely mathematical grounds.  But most of
what is popularized is more akin to "pretty pictures" with no real
underlying motivation, attaching numbers to physical phenomena with no
rigor or reason (What is the dimension of the coastline of Britain
WHO CARES!), and attempting to ANSWER mathematical questions with
computer graphics. (Question:  is the "Mandelbrot Set" connected?
Answer:  Well, whenever I look at a picture of it generated by my
computer, it looks connected, so it must be so.)

     Compare the methods of the Applied Mathematician and the Fractal
Geometer.  The applied mathematician (after providing adequate justification
for his model) gives proofs for his (or her) assertions just as any
other mathematician would.   Our fractal geometer (whose books reach
the populus and form their impression of mathematics) regards precise
and well-founded definitions as an inconvenience
and rigouous proofs as esoteric and boring.   While our portrait of this
unfortunate soul is not applicable to every fractal geometer, that it is
applicable at all is unfortunate indeed.

     The debate here is not between "pure mathematics" and "applied
mathematics", nor is it between "good mathematics" and "bad mathematics."
It is between what is mathematics and what is not mathematics.  Mathematics,
simply defined, is what a mathematician does;  and what a mathematician does
and what our prototypical fractal geometer does differ dramatically.

-Troy Zerr
University of Wisconsin
Department of Mathematics
Madison, Wisconsin
zerr@math.wisc.edu

Jim.McNamee@p7.f12.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim McNamee) (11/23/89)

   Mark T Vandewettering writes:

"Fractal geometry may be able to generate images which are convincing images of nature (and even this I might contest) but this in no way indicates anything about the mechanism that generates such phenomena."

   In the strictest sense, that's true.  But it should be pointed out that the same criticism must be leveled against Euclidean geometry.  Only man and a few uninteresting natural phenomena rely on that branch of mathematics to create the world you see.

"... but as far as helping to understand real phenomena, I have yet to see convincing arguments that fractals are of any use whatsoever.  I could draw a bunch of lines that looks like a bug, and that doesn't mean I understand anything about the nature of bugs."

   You may not understand anything about the nature of bugs but you may learn how they came to have that particular appearance.  And if form and function follow hand in hand you may also come to understand how bugs work.

"To be honest, [fractal images] bore me, because basically they are the same, and on all scales.  If I never saw another Mandlebrot set, or another mountain generated with binary subdivision, I would indeed be a glad human."

   When he was governor of California, the famous 'naturalist' and former U.S.president said, "A rock is a rock.  A tree is a tree."  Sounds as though the two of you take similar pleasure in the beauty of Nature.

Jim McNamee == ...!usceast!uscacm!12.7!Jim.McNamee

thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) (11/25/89)

    (Bruce Cohen) writes:
>I think what you're seeing here is the classic
>antipathy of "pure" mathematicians for "applied" mathematics.

And in article <3842@puff.cs.wisc.edu> zerr@schaefer (Troy Zerr) writes:
[ Long discussion about what applied mathematics is, focusing on the
  concept of rigorous proof as a means of validating research in applied
  mathetmatics -- his example uses differential equations to calculate the
  form of a suspended telephone wire, e.g. a catenary ]

]      Constrast this with the activity of a prototypical "fractal
] geometer", the sort whose books are often seen on bookstore shelves.
] I program a computer to [ create fractal images via typical random
] subdivision method ].

]      Am I to conclude that islands are constructed by some geological
] process of repeated subdivision?  Of course not!  All I have done is to
] produce a picture which looks (to me) like an island.

Are we to conclude that at the subatomic level differential equations
represent the structure of the telephone wire?  The example you've used
(random subdivision) may produce a similar structure, at a gross level, to
an island in the same way your differential equation provides a gross level
description of the spatial configuration of a suspended telephone wire.  I
could use the same reasoning to argue that smooth curves (i.e. polynomials)
have absolutely nothing to do with nature because nature isn't smooth!
Then I could argue that fractal descriptions are better because, while they
are not perfect models, are better models than smooth analytic functions.
But of course, this would all be meaningless because a model is only good
until you find a better one and the process evolves an ever-refining
picture (note that the evolutionary development of ideas is sometimes
discontinuous: ex.  relativity).

]      Admittedly, I chose a particularly obnoxious example -- "fractals"
] may indeed be good models of some physical phenomena.

Perhaps you should take a look at "fractals" from another perspective.  Look
at the work done in sting rewriting systems.  First, go read Alvy Ray
Smith's article[1].  Then, after you've familiarized yourself with the
basic notion, take a look at the work that Aristid Lindenmayer has done
with string rewriting systems to model growth.

Another direction one can go with "fractals" is into the embryonic chaos
theory that has been worked out by people like Devaney in his book[2], or
start with Gleick's book _Chaos: The Making of a New Science_.  You may
find out that self-similar curves (in particular, the Cantor Set) have more
relevance to the real world than what you thought.

I agree that there is alot of people crunching on Mandelbrot set
algorithms, etc, without understanding the underlying mathematics and
theories.  I feel that this comes from the fact that the theories are
currently inaccessible to the layman in terms of well-reasoned and
practical explanations.  Go ahead and TRY and read Devaney's book and
you'll see what I mean.  We tried to use it here at the University of
Utah's CS department and found it woefully painful to read and, more
importantly, understand.  Perhaps we're not die-hard mathematicians, but
we're not stupid either; with out little group we had a good coverage of
areas of knowledge that helped us out, but I don't think any of us (there
are about 6) would have gotten much by reading the book alone.
Mandelbrot's work has been more popularized, but he does tend to bathe in
his own "glory" and his books (I found) didn't exhibit a uniform formalism
or theoretic explanation; I found them to be useful introductory surveys.

Things are improving, though currently the trend is to publish books that
show you how to generate all these "fractal" images without understanding
the ideas behind them.  Personally, I feel it is more useful to study the
works of the emerging "chaos theory" and things like Rene' Thom's
catastrophe theory (as outlined in [3]).  If you're looking for real-world
modelling applications using fractal methods, check out the course notes
from this year's SIGGRAPH course taught by Prusinkiwiecz (I hope I spelled
that right) and Hanan[4]

[1] "Plants, Fractals, and Formal Languages", Computer Graphics 18:3,
    1984

[2] _An Introduction to Chaotic Dynamical Systems_, 2nd. ed., Robert L.
    Devaney, Addison-Wesley, 1989

[3] _Structural Stability and Morphogenesis_, Rene' Thom, 197?

[4] _Lindenmayer Systems, Fractals and Plants_, P. Prusinkiwiecz & J.
    Hanan, 1989

] -Troy Zerr
] University of Wisconsin
] Department of Mathematics
] Madison, Wisconsin
] zerr@math.wisc.edu

						-- Rich

Rich Thomson	thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!thomson
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with
us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain
too cheap, we esteem too lightly." Thomas Paine, _The Crisis_, Dec. 23rd, 1776

markv@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mark T Vandewettering) (11/25/89)

After my last batch of flaming hate mail, I decided not to further
stretch my bulging mailbox, but after a Thanksgiving turkey dinner, all
seems better, so once more into the breach....

Excuse the confusing quotations here I have to sort them out myself....

In article <1989Nov24.114609.8837@hellgate.utah.edu> thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) writes:
>In article <5383@orca.WV.TEK.COM> brucec@demiurge.WV.TEK.COM
>    (Bruce Cohen) writes:
>]      Am I to conclude that islands are constructed by some geological
>] process of repeated subdivision?  Of course not!  All I have done is to
>] produce a picture which looks (to me) like an island.

Here we hit what I believe is the crux of the problem.   Typical fractal
mountains are not a model of physical terrain.  They are a description
of terrain.  A model implies that some physical process is being
estimated in order to produce behavior/appearance similar to something
observed.  A description is a qualitative "looks like" method.  It says
nothing about the physical processes which actually cause things like
mountains to form.

Researchers have noted that forces such as erosion play key roles in
shaping the appearance of terrain.  Some recent research papers have
been written to demonstrate how fractals can be modified with forces
such as erosion.  These approaches are justifiably models, because they
seek to provide a physical explanation for the formation of terrain.

One might argue that beginning computer graphics wasn't modeling a
scene, because there was little physical theory behind the generation of
images.  With the advent of radiosity and backward ray tracing, as well
as improved surface descriptions, more and more computer graphics seek
to model the interplay of light between objects in a scene.

>Are we to conclude that at the subatomic level differential equations
>represent the structure of the telephone wire?  The example you've used
>(random subdivision) may produce a similar structure, at a gross level, to
>an island in the same way your differential equation provides a gross level
>description of the spatial configuration of a suspended telephone wire.

There is one small difference: caternaries have been discovered by a
sound analysis of forces involved on the wire.  The macroscopic
properties of the wire are completely the result of relatively few
forces, which can be analyzed analytically.

No such basis has ever been demonstrated in fractal geometry.  We rely
on a qualitative and subjective approach (does this look right?) to
model natural objects.

>Another direction one can go with "fractals" is into the embryonic chaos
>theory that has been worked out by people like Devaney in his book[2], or
>start with Gleick's book _Chaos: The Making of a New Science_.  You may
>find out that self-similar curves (in particular, the Cantor Set) have more
>relevance to the real world than what you thought.

I would not recomment Gleick's book, as I think it causes far more
confusion than it clears up.  I don't believe that Gleick's
understanding of fractals, chaos and non-linear dynamics is quite up to
scratch.  It was, however,  my initial impetus to seek out other books
and study the topic more, so it might be valuable in this regard.  The
bibliography is adequate at the very least.

Devaney's book actually grinds into some of the theory, but I agree that
it is at times difficult to read.  I can't decide whether it is due to
poor presentation, organization or what.  Still, it seems moderately
complete, and proves many of the theorems etc. just hinted at by
Gleick.

>show you how to generate all these "fractal" images without understanding
>the ideas behind them.  Personally, I feel it is more useful to study the
>works of the emerging "chaos theory" and things like Rene' Thom's
>catastrophe theory (as outlined in [3]).  If you're looking for real-world
>modelling applications using fractal methods, check out the course notes
>from this year's SIGGRAPH course taught by Prusinkiwiecz (I hope I spelled
>that right) and Hanan[4]

Thanks for the bibliography.

fournier@cs.ubc.ca (Alain Fournier) (11/25/89)

It is comforting to see that now and then there are controversies on the
net that lead to a thoughtful discussion and do not dissolve into invectives.
At least fractals are of some use in this respect. While I have a serious
allergy to fractal hype (which is endlessly itch-producing) and think that
one of the most curious properties of fractals is to make hitherto reasonable
individuals take leave of their senses and dignity, I can't resist some
comments on Troy Zerr's article. I am not a mathematician (and I try to avoid
playing one on TV), but the definition of Mathematics as something a
mathematician does seems to me to be too circular for comfort.
More importantly, the nice description of an applied mathematician at work
(and I believe that is what they do) leaves us with an interesting unstated
conclusion: how does the applied mathematician verify that the curve obtained
(presumably a catenary) is a valid model for the wire; why, by looking at it,
no less. It is not within the realm of the mathematician (and actually
not even of the physicist) to prove that a given equation or set of equations
IS the REALITY, only that it fits well the facts from an economical set of
assumptions. They just compare it to experience, and looking at things is part
of the experiment, especially is shape modelling is the game.
Another important point, often overlooked by non-informaticians, is that an
algorithm is not an explanation or a model. As a simple example, assume that I
want to write a program that simulates the way various objects are submerged
by rising water. If my objects are given by their individual positions in
3D space, I have no choice but to sort them by altitude if I want to output,
pictorially or otherwise, the order in which they are submerged. I can pick
various algorithms to sort, some of the most efficient of which work
recursively (most graphics types will bucket-sort, but no matter).
In doing so, do I claim or imply that the water find the objects by recursive
subdivision? Of course not. By the same token using recursive subdivision to produce
"terrain looking" objects does not imply that there is a tectonic phenomenon
acting in a similar way. The issue of whether the simulated stochastic
process (for instance fractional Brownian motion) is a legitimate model of
terrain is another, more difficult, question.
How long is the coast of Britain? I think that is an interesting question,
and to show that in its naive form it is an ill-posed question is one of
the most striking results of Mandelbrot's work. As questions go, I really
do not care too much about how many finite simple groups there are, but I
understand if some people do.
There is no conclusion, except the obvious: nothing is so simple. The
beautiful is not always the popular, the popular is not always the trivial,
the trivial not always the unimportant, and the unimportant can be sometimes
beautiful.

SL195@cc.usu.edu (A banana is not a toy) (11/28/89)

OK.  So fractals haven't found a great use YET.  But remember- they are a part
of chaos.  Chaos, when the mathematics behind it are slowly worked out,
(admittedly (probably) many year hence) promises techniques to help solve
nasty non-linear differential equations.  The mathematics behind fractals
fits *nicely* into renormalization group theory. I don't think something that
"happens to fit" like they do is insignificant.

How long was quantum mechanics and relativity scoffed at before it was accepted.

--

All comments are my own, and many must be taken with a :-)
=============================++++++++++++++++++++=============================

markv@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Mark T Vandewettering) (11/28/89)

In article <119.256E54C5@uscacm.UUCP> Jim.McNamee@p7.f12.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim McNamee) writes:
>   When he was governor of California, the famous 'naturalist' and former U.S.president said, "A rock is a rock.  A tree is a tree."  Sounds as though the two of you take similar pleasure in the beauty of Nature.

Well, gosh guy, considering that I was raised as a country boy in the
greenest state I can think of (good ole Oregon), I think I am as much in
tune with the beauty of this fair world of ours as the next person.
I like trees, and mountains, far more than I like fractals.

I also like people who put line breaks in their postings. :-)

>Jim McNamee == ...!usceast!uscacm!12.7!Jim.McNamee

Mark VandeWettering (prevent run-on thoughts, hit some [returns])

mcdonald@aries.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (11/29/89)

 (Jim McNamee) writes:

>   Mark T Vandewettering writes:
>
>"Fractal geometry may be able to generate images which are convincing images
> of nature (and even this I might contest) but this in no way indicates
> anything about the mechanism that generates such phenomena."
>

>"... but as far as helping to understand real phenomena, I have yet to
>see convincing arguments that fractals are of any use whatsoever.  I
> could draw a bunch of lines that looks like a bug, and that doesn't
>mean I understand anything about the nature of
>bugs."

There are things in nature that are indeed of a fractal nature.
The most obvious is the scale of fluctuations in the density of
fluids near critical points. The realization that the amount
of fluctuation scaled fractally gave rise to the theory that
correctly predicted the equations of state, and thence to a
Nobel Prize.

This is actually an easy experiment: mix equal volumes of water
and triethylamine. Watch what happens as you change the temperature
through 15 degrees C. It turns a milky while. I do it as a lecture
demo.
(Don't try this at home folks, at least indoors. Triethylamine
stinks something awful and is mildly poisonous.)

Doug McDonald

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (11/29/89)

In article <14203@cc.usu.edu> SL195@cc.usu.edu (A banana is not a toy) writes:
>OK.  So fractals haven't found a great use YET.

Thank you for your honest open thoughts. 8)

>of chaos.  Chaos, when the mathematics behind it are slowly worked out,
>(admittedly (probably) many year hence) promises techniques to help solve
>nasty non-linear differential equations.

Oh?!  Well this will be news 8).  Promises?  Scouts honor and hope to die?
As Bronowski said, "There is a difference between knowledge and certainty."

There are no royal roads to mathematics. (guess who said that.)
Somehow, I do not think computer graphics is a royal road; my classes
in 1977 on catastophe theory have taught me that.

Anyway, enough of this. please.  Let's move onto other things.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  		Support the Free Software Foundation (FSF)

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (11/29/89)

In article <119.256E54C5@uscacm.UUCP>, Jim.McNamee@p7.f12.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim McNamee) writes:
[in reference to a comment that the author could well live quite happily never
seeing another fractal display or mountain image generated by binary
subdivision.]

>    When he was governor of California, the famous 'naturalist' and former U.S.
>president said, "A rock is a rock.  A tree is a tree."  Sounds as though the two
>of you take similar pleasure in the beauty of Nature.

> Jim McNamee == ...!usceast!uscacm!12.7!Jim.McNamee

Actually, I take exception to the implication that nature is really computer
generated graphics of any kind -- fractal or otherwise.

It seems that he who can't tell the difference between a mathematical construct
and real mountains is the one with a limited perception of nature's beauty.

Charles Marslett
chasm@attctc.dallas.tx.us

roland@cochise (11/30/89)

Allow my 2 pfennige to the discussion on the scienceness of fractals:

In article <3842@puff.cs.wisc.edu> zerr@schaefer (Troy Zerr) writes:

]      Am I to conclude that islands are constructed by some geological
] process of repeated subdivision?  Of course not!  All I have done is to
] produce a picture which looks (to me) like an island.

Have you ever thought of the possibility that fractals might be not a model
of _physical_ processes, but a model of _perceptional_ processes ?

It is quite plausible to assume that human (visual(?)) apperception is
indeed based on repeated subdivision ( it is well known since ancient :-)
times that perceptional measures all are logarithmically scaled ).

So fractals _are_

SL195@cc.usu.edu (A banana is not a toy) (12/01/89)

>>of chaos.  Chaos, when the mathematics behind it are slowly worked out,
>>(admittedly (probably) many year hence) promises techniques to help solve
>>nasty non-linear differential equations.
>
> Oh?!  Well this will be news 8).  Promises?  Scouts honor and hope to die?
> As Bronowski said, "There is a difference between knowledge and certainty."

Considering that a nobel-prize material has been brought forth  with the help
of insights that  are gained from chaos,

			****   Y E S *****

> There are no royal roads to mathematics. (guess who said that.)
> Somehow, I do not think computer graphics is a royal road; my classes
> in 1977 on catastophe theory have taught me that.

What did I ever say in relationship to computer graphics????  I'm talking
about *chaos*. Fractals are but a mere subset of chaos.

--

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (12/04/89)

In article <119.256E54C5@uscacm.UUCP> Jim.McNamee@p7.f12.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim McNamee) writes:

|   Mark T Vandewettering writes:

|"Fractal geometry may be able to generate images which are convincing images
|of nature (and even this I might contest) but this in no way indicates anything
|about the mechanism that generates such phenomena."
|
|   In the strictest sense, that's true.  But it should be pointed out that the
|   same criticism must be leveled against Euclidean geometry.  Only man and a
|   few uninteresting natural phenomena rely on that branch of mathematics to
|   create the world you see.

	Excellent point, can be easily generalized ...

--
   ^^ 	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \**/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

mitchell@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Mitchell - PA) (12/27/89)

The study of Fractals is a new science. As with anything new, there will
always be controversy. And perhaps that is one of the greatest intellectual
galvanizers of our time.

Fractals make an interesting study as a 'pure science'. Their application
to nature makes them even more wonderous. It gives you the ability to
classify certain phenomena in natue that would have previously been considered
'formless', such as clouds or mountains. To that end, Fractals have become
one more (and very powerful) tool by which we can measure our world. A sort
of 'yardstick' :-)

As for explaining the mechanism of certain phenomena, it can give fantastic
insights. For example, the development of the human embryo (and embryos in
general)- we can begin to understand how a HUGE amount of information
can be encoded by such a small dataset (DNA). While fractals is not the
end-all and be-all in this case, it gives hints as to the nature of the
fantastic and arcane mechanism involved. Only hints, mind you! :-)

Calculus has had centuries to become developed, as had other areas of
mathematics. Fractals (and the study of chaos, in general) is cumbersome
and damn-near impossible without the aid of the computer (would you spend
half a lifetime calculating a single instance of the Mandelbrot set, say
1K by !k? :-). Computers, in their speedy and compact present form, is itself
a very recent phenomenom- so lets give ourselves TIME to learn
about this mystery we've uncovered!

	-Mitchell
         mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP
	 To Life, Immortal.

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (12/31/89)

In article <9144@cbmvax.commodore.com> mitchell@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Mitchell - PA) writes:
>As for explaining the mechanism of certain phenomena, it can give fantastic
>insights. For example, the development of the human embryo (and embryos in
>general)- we can begin to understand how a HUGE amount of information
>can be encoded by such a small dataset (DNA).

B.S.  Fractals, if a valid measure of nature, say how LITTLE information
there is.   Compilicated appearing patterns actually can be parameterized
by very few numbers, hence its attractiveness to explanation and information
compression.

Mitchell appears to be jumbling several types of "new age" mathematics--
complexity theory, chaos theory, fractals ...-- each which has precise and
different definitions and something different to say about nature.
Some may provide USEFUL results and become parts of the scientist's toolkit,
while others will remain mathematical amusements.

siona@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (siona) (12/31/89)

A fractal is merely a geometrical object generated through a recursive
algorithm.  As a concept, it is comparable in generality to that of
geometrical objects generated through iterative algorithms, which
forms the whole field of differential geometry.  I believe that a very
large class of forms can be generated by both recursive and iterative
algorithms; the difference lies in how much information is necessary
to specify the algorithm.

We currently have a certain amount of prejudice towards the differential
approach, because we have a three hundred year tradition of differential
calculus, and most of physics is expressed in differential equations.

However, we are beginning to develop mathematical models in such fields as
biology, where a recursive description is often much simpler.

--
 Deirdre Des Jardins
 Internet:  ucscb!siona@ucsc.UCSC.EDU

fournier@cs.ubc.ca (Alain Fournier) (01/02/90)

In article <10148@saturn.ucsc.edu> siona@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (siona) writes:

>A fractal is merely a geometrical object generated through a recursive
>algorithm....

The properties of objects and of the algorithms used to generate them
can be quite different. Defining a fractal as an object generated
by recursion is wrong (even though Mandelbrot himself came close to this).
It is enough to consider that a straight line segment can be generated
by a recursive algorithm (and to call it fractal would annihilate
the class of non-fractals)  and that a Koch island can be easily computed
and plotted by iteration (the fact that it won't draw all the points
in any finite time is not an argument against the iterative method, since
the recursive one has the same problem).

bseeg@spectra.COM (Bob Seegmiller) (01/04/90)

In article <9144@cbmvax.commodore.com> mitchell@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Mitchell - PA) writes:
>  [misc deleted]
>
>........- we can begin to understand how a HUGE amount of information
>can be encoded by such a small dataset (DNA).

Small dataset?  Human DNA?  Not hardly.  I don't believe fractals have
much to do with information storage in DNA, either.  I'm curious where
he gets this idea, as I haven't seen it in any of periodicals
(SciAm,Science News) I read.  I agree with a previous response in re
fractals as being "small", and applied in recursively defined
representations.  I'm not familiar with any structures or systems (both
physical -- a.k.a. tissues/organs) in living organisms that can be
fractally described.  (Please note emphasis on physical -- I'm not
addressing neural organization, or behaviors of any of such systems --
that belongs in another news group -- simply what can be genetically
constructed from DNA.)

(Of course, I expect some will take this inch and stretch it a mile --
sigh.)

>  [misc deleted]
>
>	-Mitchell
>         mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP
>	 To Life, Immortal.

Sorry to post this to comp.graphics, but I felt it had to be answered,
and had waited for someone else to before I stepped in.

mitchell@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Mitchell - PA) (01/05/90)

In article <6780@lindy.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma.UUCP (Richard Ottolini) writes:
>In article <9144@cbmvax.commodore.com> mitchell@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Mitchell - PA) writes:
>>As for explaining the mechanism of certain phenomena, it can give fantastic
>>insights. For example, the development of the human embryo (and embryos in
>>general)- we can begin to understand how a HUGE amount of information
>>can be encoded by such a small dataset (DNA).

>B.S.

Cough.

>Fractals, if a valid measure of nature, say how LITTLE information
>there is.   Compilicated appearing patterns actually can be parameterized
>by very few numbers, hence its attractiveness to explanation and information
>compression.

Seems like a matter of semantics, to me. The old "Half full" or "Half empty"
approach.

>Mitchell appears to be jumbling several types of "new age" mathematics--
>complexity theory, chaos theory, fractals ...-- each which has precise and
>different definitions and something different to say about nature.

The "jumbling" as you call it, was intentional. I was not trying to say
anything specific- just that we should keep an open mind and look for
relationships where we normally wouldn't.

>Some may provide USEFUL results and become parts of the scientist's toolkit,
>while others will remain mathematical amusements.

It depends on your orientation. If you want to be analytical, sure, then its
a matter of what TOOL you can apply to what specific problem. But one should
also be able to take a couple of steps back and see the whole picture. What
is the gist of what I am trying to say? Therein lies my message.

I was trying to elict an appreciation for the BEAUTY of what we have to date
and where they might take us. Unfourtunatly, some are unable to grasp that.

	-Mitchell
	 mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP
	 "The eyes are open, the mouth moves, but Mr. Brain has long since
  	  departed." - The Black Adder

platt@ndla.UUCP (Daniel E. Platt) (01/06/90)

In article <298@spectra.COM>, bseeg@spectra.COM (Bob Seegmiller) writes:
> ...  I'm not familiar with any structures or systems (both
> physical -- a.k.a. tissues/organs) in living organisms that can be
> fractally described.

Retinal Vessels are close to being DLA which are fractal... most blood
vessels have fractal character to them.

Look up Physica D 38, 98 (1989)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
||                                     1(914)945-1173            ||
||        Dan Platt                    1(914)941-2474            ||
||        Watson (IBM)                 PLATT@YKTVMV.BITNET       ||
||                           ..!uunet!bywater!scifi!ndla!platt   ||
||                                                               ||
||     The opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect    ||
||                   those of my employer!                       ||
||                                                               ||
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (01/06/90)

In article <9215@cbmvax.commodore.com> mitchell@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Mitchell - PA) writes:
>In article <6780@lindy.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma.UUCP (Richard Ottolini) writes:
>>In article <9144@cbmvax.commodore.com> mitchell@cbmvax.commodore.com (Fred Mitchell - PA) writes:
>>>As for explaining the mechanism of certain phenomena, it can give fantastic
>>>insights.
>>B.S.
>Cough.

I side with Rick on this one.

>>Fractals, if a valid measure of nature, say how LITTLE information
>>there is.

>Seems like a matter of semantics, to me. The old "Half full" or "Half empty"
>approach.

I've used this argument before. Okay then let's say we are at 0.5 of capacity.
It is not a matter of semantics in this case.  See below.

>>Mitchell appears to be jumbling several types of "new age" mathematics--
>>complexity theory, chaos theory, fractals

>The "jumbling" as you call it, was intentional. I was not trying to say
>anything specific- just that we should keep an open mind and look for
>relationships where we normally wouldn't.

The scientific community has historically been built upon skepticism.
This can be hard on those not used to it (i.e., don't take any of this
too personally [retorically]).  It does a little observation (except in CS 8),
proposes theory, but its key is TESTING, experimentation, and recently
application.  Some pseudo sciences, pre-sciences, etc. never get past
the earliest stages.  The sciences can keep an open mind; its very structure
is self correcting.  That does not mean that the bureacracy of science
is wrong, but it does try to keep "on track."  Witness the two directions
cold fusion and warm superconductors: limited work versus HS students
running to duplicate, now quiet applications being studied and sought.

>>Some may provide USEFUL results and become parts of the scientist's toolkit,
       ^^^ and equally may not
>>while others will remain mathematical amusements.
					^^^^^^^^^
>It depends on your orientation. If you want to be analytical, sure, then its
			yes, science tends to be   ^^^^^^^^^^
		this is called "reductionism," seems to work well
>a matter of what TOOL you can apply to what specific problem. But one should
>also be able to take a couple of steps back and see the whole picture. What
>is the gist of what I am trying to say? Therein lies my message.

>I was trying to elict an appreciation for the BEAUTY of what we have to date
						^^^^
>and where they might take us. Unfourtunatly, some are unable to grasp that.

This is a matter of individual interpretation, and some set of aesthetic
values.  There is a concept of scientific elegance, but you are speaking
of something different here.  I refer you to James Burke's closing
comment in his Connections series that of how science and technology
work versus how the arts and humanities work.  I was so impressed by that
statement I contacted Lynn White of the UCLA History Dept who gave me Burke's
address and number (fan communications).  Individual interpretation has
great limits (but noble), but knowledge which all can use is more powerful.

No, Rick is able to grasp what you are saying (having conversed with him
in person).  The problem is that people in science tend to get a bit weary
of fads.

This is getting away from graphics, I leave it to poster to edit the Newsgroups
line to some group like sci.edu or sci.math.

bseeg@spectra.COM (Bob Seegmiller) (01/06/90)

>I'm not familiar with any structures or systems (both
>physical -- a.k.a. tissues/organs) in living organisms that can be
>fractally described.  (Please note emphasis on physical -- I'm not
>addressing neural organization, or behaviors of any of such systems --
>that belongs in another news group -- simply what can be genetically
>constructed from DNA.)

Before too much time goes by, I need to apologize to this forum:
 both someone at longs.lance.colostate.edu and
 Kevin_P_McCarty@cup.portal.com have pointed out (one referring to
 Mandelbrot's book) that both the circulatory and pulmonary system have
 fractal characteristics.  I should have limited myself to Mr.
 Mitchell's statement on possible fractal encoding of genetic
 information and that the human genome was small.  In the interim, I
 asked a local (UCSD) researcher about the size of the human genome:
 offhand number he gave me was 10^14 base pairs, but don't quote him (so
 I haven't).  I'd thought it was big (> 10^9), but ... >whew<

'Nuff said.
--
| Bob Seegmiller <The usual disclaimer> | .....................               |