[comp.graphics] Russian Spy Satellite Pictures

delong@frith.egr.msu.edu (01/10/90)

I have heard that British Sigma Products in conjunction with Russia
is offering to take spy satellite pictures of anything you like.
The object must be at least 5 meters across in size.
It costs a couple hundred dollars to have it done...
but what a novelty.

The Russians seem to like this capitalism stuff.

Does anyone know the details of this offer?

Keith DeLong
Delta College

delong@frith.egr.msu.edu

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (01/11/90)

In article <5970@cps3xx.UUCP> delong@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
>is offering to take spy satellite pictures of anything you like.
		     ^^^  The inclusion of this adjective is needless.
	But I would confirmation of Elvis's whereabouts. 8)
>The object must be at least 5 meters across in size.

Hardly Bond material.

>Contact

The usual sources.  Start with their Embassy.  Note your communication will
likely be recorded (logged); why the NSA does read the net [for fun as well
as "profit"], and your [and my note] are probably to be included in files.
No big matter.  SVIT had a both at SIGGRAPH, but they aren't spies.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene

thaw@pixar.UUCP (Tom Williams) (01/12/90)

delong@frith.egr.msu.edu writes:

>I have heard that British Sigma Products in conjunction with Russia
>is offering to take spy satellite pictures of anything you like.
>The object must be at least 5 meters across in size.
>It costs a couple hundred dollars to have it done...
>but what a novelty.

It's NOT a spy satellite.  5 meter resolution is pretty good for
commercial satellites, but this product is of poor quality.  I think
that the US still limits US commercial satellites to 10 meters, but this
might have changed recently.  You'd be better off with SPOT data if
you can afford it.

                                       -thomas williams-

---
Thomas Williams