[comp.graphics] Looking for a word

pepke@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (01/13/90)

I am looking for a word to describe a property of transformations and other
mappings.  The property is this:  Say I have a mapping from R(n) to R(n)
where n is greater than one.  Call the independent variable in the dimension
k where 1 <= k <= n a(k) and the dependent variable b(k).  If the mapping
has this property for which I need a name, b(i) is not dependent on a(j)
when i is not equal to j.

Consider transformation of 2-d images.  In that case, n is 2.  If a
transformation had this property, then the transformed Y value would only
depend on the original Y value, likewise for X.  If the transformation did not
have this property, the transformed Y could depend on both the original X and
Y.  With this property, a mapping (X1, Y1) -> (X2, Y2) could be decomposed
into two mappings: X1 -> X2 and Y1 -> Y2.  Without this property, no such
decomposition would be feasible.

Uniform scaling and stretching along one axis, even if nonlinear, would have
this property. Skewing and rotation would not.

This is a very elementary and important property and is basic to algorithm
design, but I can't for the life of me think of the word for it!  I looked
up all the words in Webster's that begin with "ortho" but to no avail.  I
could call the individual component mappings independent from each other,
or I could say that the composite mapping was decomposable, but there must
be a better and more specific term.  Does this ring anybody's bell?

Eric Pepke                                     INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute  MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                       SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                     BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

markv@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Mark VandeWettering) (01/14/90)

In article <447@fsu.scri.fsu.edu> pepke@scri1.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) writes:

>Consider transformation of 2-d images.  In that case, n is 2.  If a
>transformation had this property, then the transformed Y value would only
>depend on the original Y value, likewise for X.  If the transformation did not
>have this property, the transformed Y could depend on both the original X and
>Y.  With this property, a mapping (X1, Y1) -> (X2, Y2) could be decomposed
>into two mappings: X1 -> X2 and Y1 -> Y2.  Without this property, no such
>decomposition would be feasible.

>Uniform scaling and stretching along one axis, even if nonlinear, would have
>this property. Skewing and rotation would not.

Hmmm.  Very interesting question, and it even brings a few questions into my
head.  The term originally thought of by myself is "separable", but that
has typically been used to say that only one coordinate is modified during
a pass, not that it was the only one used to specify the transformation.

Without knowing the precise use that you intend, this may be enough to
describe the algorithms you intend.  Alvy Ray Smith and Edwin Catmull
published a paper called "3-D transformation in scanline order" which outlines
the basic method of image transformation composed as a series of seperable
(1-D) transformations.  Their work has been followed up by a number of articles
dealing with image warping.  Fant had a much less general, but possibly
easier to follow paper in IEEE CG&A.

If your usage of "decomposeable" is consistent with the terms separable,
then I would advise using the already existing terminology.  Otherwise,
its up to somebody else to make a suggestion.

Mark

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (01/15/90)

In article <447@fsu.scri.fsu.edu> pepke@scri1.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) writes:
>I am looking for a word to describe a property of transformations and other
>mappings.  The property is this:  Say I have a mapping from R(n) to R(n)
>where n is greater than one.  Call the independent variable in the dimension
>k where 1 <= k <= n a(k) and the dependent variable b(k).  If the mapping
>has this property for which I need a name, b(i) is not dependent on a(j)
>when i is not equal to j.

Separable?

F(a1,a2,...,an) = [f1(a1),f2(a2),...,fn(an)]

Mappings as above are often said to be "defined componentwise".