[comp.graphics] Need CGM Previewer

jdonsbac@thing.prime.com (Jeff Donsbach) (02/03/90)

Does anyone know where I can find a public domain program that will
preview CGM files? It doesn't have to do anything fancy like editing.
I just want to view the CGM files I'll be creating in a window on my
workstation to make sure they look right. Oh, yea: I need this for a SUN,
ideally under SUNVIEW but I could probably also get an X Windows version to
work. I don't have ftp access, so someone will either have to mail it to me
or tell me where to get it from an archive-server. Any info about such a
program would be appreciated......

Thanks in advance,
-Jeff

==========================
Jeff Donsbach, Computervision,  A Prime Computer Company, Bedford, MA
UUCP: {decvax|linus|sun}!cvbnet!jdonsbac | Internet: jdonsbac@cvbnet.prime.com
Top Ten things to be thankful for:#3 CT State Troopers don't cross state lines.

drb@eecg.toronto.edu (David R. Blythe) (02/03/90)

In article <416@cvbnet.Prime.COM> jdonsbac@thing.prime.com (Jeff Donsbach) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can find a public domain program that will
>preview CGM files? It doesn't have to do anything fancy like editing.
>I just want to view the CGM files I'll be creating in a window on my
>workstation to make sure they look right. Oh, yea: I need this for a SUN,
>ideally under SUNVIEW but I could probably also get an X Windows version to
>work. I don't have ftp access, so someone will either have to mail it to me
>or tell me where to get it from an archive-server. Any info about such a
>program would be appreciated......

Since CGM gets mentioned a lot, I'll post this rather than replying
directly to the request ...
The Pittsburgh Supercomputer Centre has a program called gplot which
translates cgm files to many output formats and/or window systems
including PostScript, Tek4xxx, SunView, SGI Iris GL, X, etc ...
Not all of the drivers are 100% complete, but it works pretty well.
It runs under UNIX and VMS. Sources are available from calpe.psc.edu
(128.182.66.148).  Hopefully, someone else can help you retrieve a
copy.

>Jeff Donsbach, Computervision,  A Prime Computer Company, Bedford, MA
>UUCP: {decvax|linus|sun}!cvbnet!jdonsbac | Internet: jdonsbac@cvbnet.prime.com

David Blythe
Ontario Centre for Large Scale Computation
University of Toronto
drb@bessel.clsc.utoronto.ca