[comp.graphics] PHIGS REFERENCES?

hitchner@riacs.edu (Lew Hitchner) (02/02/90)

Understanding PHIGS, The Hierarchical Computer Graphics Standard
by Maxine D. Brown (author)
   Michael Heck (technical editor)
publisher, Template, the Softaware Division of Megatek,
           9645 Scranton Rd.
           San Diego, CA 92121
           619-455-5590
this is a generic PHIGS book, not a vendor product description

not sure of the correct name,
IBM's graPHIGS reference manual (for their mainframe and workstation
implementations of PHIGS)
one of their manuals (can't remember which one) is a fairly generic
intro. to PHIGS which describes
fundamentals more than it does implementation specifics of their
graPHIGS.  It is very well written
and I think very well organized (I am a formed univ. prof. who used to
teach undergrad graphics).
Maybe you know afriend who works at a place that uses graPHIGS.

herzog@dogwalk.Sun.COM (Brian Herzog) (02/04/90)

In article <2005@hydra.riacs.edu>, hitchner@riacs.edu (Lew Hitchner) writes:
> Understanding PHIGS, The Hierarchical Computer Graphics Standard
> by Maxine D. Brown (author)
>    Michael Heck (technical editor)
> publisher, Template, the Softaware Division of Megatek,

Er, there are a couple of things to clarify here.

1. Template is no longer part of Megatek.  I believe it is now known as TGS,
   and makes Figaro, a version of PHIGS available on several vendors'
   platforms (although I'll balance that "plug" with a note that Megatek
   now uses SunPHIGS ;-).

2. And, as has been previously noted in this group, the above book is
   out of print.

Brian Herzog           "Badges?  We ain't got no badges. We don't need no
herzog@sun.com          badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
...!sun!herzog                                  - Treasure of the Sierra Madre