[comp.graphics] Landsat data acquisition

jay@chaos.unr.edu (J.A. MacDonald) (02/07/90)

   Every so often I notice inquiries regarding the acquisition of
satellite image data. As such I figured I would post the latest
information regarding EOSAT's Landsat Thematic Mapper data price
schedule. The following information is taken from their Landsat
Products and Services catalogue. There is no date on it but I
believe it is the most recent issue.

   EOSAT's address is:

                  EOSAT Customer Services Department
                  4300 Forbes Boulevard
                  Lanham, Maryland  20706  U.S.A

                  phone: 1-800-344-9933
                  (in MD: 1-301-552-0537)
                  telex: 277685 LSAT UR
                  FAX: 1-301-552-0507

  Background: Landsat Thematic Mapper (TM) data has been acquired
by the Landsat 4 and 5 series of satellites since 1982 (prior to
that only MSS data from Landsats 1,2 & 3 are available since 1972).
TM data is in 8-bit form (each pixel has a range of 0-255 grey
scale) with a ground cell resolution of approximately 30m by 30m.

   EOSAT Landsat digital data is copywrited and thus cannot be
copied or transferred in its original form once purchased. However,
according to the back of the order form (section 2, statement b):

    "Purchaser agrees not to reproduce or permit reproduction of
     Satellite Data. Enhancement of Satellite Data is not
     considered reproduction"

I'll leave it up to you to interpret that statement....

   EOSAT has several digital products available. The data is either
in band sequential (BSQ) form or band interleave form (BIL).

A: THEMATIC MAPPER STANDARD FULL AND QUADRANT SCENE DIGITAL
PRODUCTS:

  These data sets come on 6250 (standard) or 6100 bpi computer
compatible tapes (CCTs). A full TM scene covers an area of
approximately 185 km E-W by 170 km N-S. Each scene is divided into
four quads as follows:

        _ _ _ _ _ _______________________________
       |         /               /              /|
       | fill   /               /              / |
       |       /      1        /       2      /  |
       |      /               /              /   |
       |     /_______________/______________/    |
       |    /               /              /     |  /\
       |   /               /              /      |  ||
       |  /       3       /      4       /       | 85 km
       | /               /              /  fill  |  ||
       |/_______________/______________/_ _ _ _ _|  \/
                        <--- 95 km --->

(note: parallelogram shape due to track of satellite relative to
the ground)

   Each quarter scene covers 92.5 km E-W by 85 km N-S. Scenes are
referred to by their corresponding position on the World
Referencing System (WRS) by Path (= track) and Row (= location
along track). A copy of the WRS map for both TM and MSS (they are
different) is available *free* from EOSAT's Customer Service
Department.

   The data has been geometrically corrected to a Space Oblique
Mercator projection which resamples the ground resolution cell to
28.5 m (cubic convolution). They are also available in UTM
projection (latitudes < 65 degrees) and Polar Stereographic
Projection (latitudes > 65 degrees).

   The tapes come in Landsat Technical Working Group (LTWG) format.
That is, each tape has a volume directory file plus 3 files for
each band (leader file, image file, trailer file) for BSQ data (3
files only for BIL data).

PRICE SCHEDULE:

1. TM Standard Full Scene

   Size: 185 X 170 km      Price: $3,600.00

   - Available as 4 quads or full frame in 6250 or 1600 bpi.

2. TM Digital Quadrant

   Size: 92.5 X 85 km      Price: $1,800.00

3. TM Sample  (Path 27, Row 33 - 9/3/82)

   Size: 185 X 170 km      Price: $200.00

   - This is a sample data set of the above location. Yes, that is
         the correct price.

B: GEOCODED IMAGE DATA

   Geocoded data sets are unenhanced digital images that have been
processed to a simple relationship to a predetermined base map.
Many projections are available (call EOSAT Customer Services for
more info). These data sets are extremely useful for GIS
operations.

PRICE SCHEDULE:
1. Full scene

   Size: 185 X 170 km      Price: $4,900.00

2. Quarter Scene  (moveable anywhere within a full scene)

   Size: 92.5 X 80 km      Price: $2,900.00

3. Map Sheet  (0.5 X 1 degree)

   Size: ~55.5 X 91.2 km   Price: $2,300.00

C: CUSTOMER SELECTED THEMATIC MAPPER FLOPPY DISK DATA

   TM images of 512 X 512 pixels (15 X 15 km) are available in
PC/MS DOS format 5.25 inch floppy diskettes for those of us who are
PC bound (or poverty stricken). They come on 7 double sided double
density (360 kb) diskettes (one for each image). Each diskette
contains two files: the image file and a header file. The header
file is in ASCII and thus is easily viewed. The image file is in
sequential form.

   There are 6 sample data sets also available on floppy disk. For
more information on these call EOSAT or refer to the catalogue.

PRICE SCHEDULE:

1. TM digital-floppy disks

   Size: 15 X 15 km        Price: $600.00

2. Sample TM floppy disk data products

   Size: 15 X 15 km        Price: $250.00

D: THEMATIC MAPPER MOVEABLE DIGITAL SUB-SCENES AND MINI-SCENES

   These are moveable subsections of 100 X 100 km (sub-scene) and
100 X 50 km (mini-scene) that are contained completely within a TM
path. They are very handy for dealing with the basic rule that the
area of interest lies at the boundary between two (or more) quads
:-).

  Sub-scenes and mini-scenes are available on 6250 or 1600 bpi CCTs
in BSQ format only. The mini-scenes can be oriented with the long
axis either E-W or N-S. Subscenes that cross row boundaries are
only available for data taken on the same date.

PRICE SCHEDULE

1. Moveable sub-scene

   Size: 100 X 100 km      Price: $2,600.00

2. Moveable mini-scene

   Size: 100 X 50 km       Price: $2,000.00

E. MULTI-SPECTRAL SCANNER (MSS) STANDARD DIGITAL PRODUCTS

  The MSS system is the predecessor to TM. Data from MSS acquired
prior to Landsat 4 and 5 is available from the EROS data center in
Sioux Falls, SD 57198  (1-800-367-2801).

  EOSAT handles MSS data from Landsats 4 and 5. The data is
available in 4 spectral bands with 57 m pixel resolution (resampled
from 79 m using cubic convolution). It is available in several
formats, corrections and projection on 6250 or 1600 bpi CCTs only.

PRICE SCHEDULE:

1. MSS standard digital product

   Size: ???               Price: $660.00

2. MSS sample digital product  (path 37, row 34 - 10/11/82)
                               (Utah / Arizona area)

   Size: ???               Price: $50.00

F. TM AND MSS FILM PRODUCTS

  Thematic mapper and MSS images are also available in photographic
form. For more information on these products contact EOSAT.

Real BMWs have only two wheels
jay@chaos.unr.edu    | I set out from Reno
jay-m@unrvax.unr.edu | I was trailed by twenty hounds

thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) (02/07/90)

In article <3541@tahoe.unr.edu> jay@chaos.unr.edu (J.A. MacDonald) writes:
>   Every so often I notice inquiries regarding the acquisition of
>satellite image data. As such I figured I would post the latest
>information regarding EOSAT's Landsat Thematic Mapper data price
>schedule. The following information is taken from their Landsat
>Products and Services catalogue. There is no date on it but I
>believe it is the most recent issue.

>   EOSAT's address is:

>                  EOSAT Customer Services Department
>                  4300 Forbes Boulevard
>                  Lanham, Maryland  20706  U.S.A

>                  phone: 1-800-344-9933
>                  (in MD: 1-301-552-0537)
>                  telex: 277685 LSAT UR
>                  FAX: 1-301-552-0507

A good place to start looking for cheaply available LANDSAT data is your
local library.  The bigger the library, the better a chance you have that
they might have a tape covering an area/time frame you're interested in.
Now, Jay MacDonald's posting described some of the intracacies of the
copyright with respect to LANDSAT images.  But, if "enhancements" are
allowed to be made available (such as a histogram equalization?) without
the same copyright infringements applying, then you're in business.

Anyway, check out your local library because they may be able to help you
without charging you anything.

						-- Rich
Rich Thomson	thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!thomson
	  More Colombians are killed by American cigarettes
		 than Americans by Colombian cocaine

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (02/07/90)

In article <1990Feb7.002025.23098@hellgate.utah.edu> thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) writes:
>A good place to start looking for cheaply available LANDSAT data is your
>local library.  The bigger the library, the better a chance you have that
>they might have a tape covering an area/time frame you're interested in.
>Anyway, check out your local library because they may be able to help you
>without charging you anything.

Consider also checking out academic catalogs to see who teaches
classes in topics like cartography, geography, geology, urban planning,
image processing (typically EE), remote sensing, remote espioniage
[sorry, I just saw the latest Nova 8)], sociology, forestry, etc.
Such classes are taught at places like Purdue, U Mich. [ERIM],
UC Santa Barbara [GRSU], UC Berkeley, Caltech, oil companies, service
academies, IBM PASC, etc. etc.

Jef, I suggest you add the EOS address and ACM address to weekly freq. Q.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  Do you expect anything BUT generalizations on the net?