[comp.graphics] 4D ray tracing

hill@alanine.cs.unc.edu (Curtis Hill) (02/07/90)

In article <14039@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>So, anyone given some thought toward 4D raytracing???? Hmmmm? :-)

Glassner, Andrew, Spacetime Ray Tracing for Animation, IEEE Computer
Graphics and Applications, March 1988, pp. 60-70.

Joe Bob says check it out.

Curtis Hill
hill@cs.unc.edu

robert@victoria.esd.sgi.com (Robert Skinner) (02/08/90)

In article <11899@thorin.cs.unc.edu>, hill@alanine.cs.unc.edu (Curtis
Hill) writes:
> In article <14039@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
> >So, anyone given some thought toward 4D raytracing???? Hmmmm? :-)
>
> Glassner, Andrew, Spacetime Ray Tracing for Animation, IEEE Computer
> Graphics and Applications, March 1988, pp. 60-70.
>
> Joe Bob says check it out.

This doesn't really answer his question though.  I assumed Sean meant
static 4D objects, whereas Glassner just added time as the fourth
dimension to do animation.  Of course, Glassner said he just changed a
#define for the length of the vector from 3 to 4 and it all worked,
so that is at least encouraging.

Robert Skinner
robert@sgi.com

		Which is worse, ignorance or apathy?
		Who knows?  Who cares?

cmp7112@sys.uea.ac.uk (N.R. Beadman) (02/08/90)

If you want to trace objects in time, try distributed ray tracing, suggested
by Robert Cook in 1984.

Nick.....

oh Belgium..... Zaphod uttered..