[comp.graphics] OCR software

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (02/01/90)

In article <743@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>, flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) writes:

> We would like to use a full page scanner to read a page of text.  Are
> there any good software packages out there to read an image file and
> do the necessary image processing to convert it to ASCII?  I have seen
> references to some packages that cost in the range of $150-$300, as
> add-ons to some hand-held scanners.  A public domain program would be
> our first choice, but we would certainly like to know what a good
> package is if we need to buy one.

I'll bet a lot of people are looking for this.  Although, if I had to, I
would settle for a DOS program that does this, what I would really like to
get is source so it could be ported to UNIX.  I realize there is a lot of
work in teaching it fonts but I seems that if we (the USENET community)
could come up with something like this, this would be ideal place to get a
fancy, debugged version in the long run.

I, for one, would be willing to put some effort into such a project.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385

belanger@philmtl.philips.ca (Robert Belanger) (02/01/90)

We have here two OCR from Calera Inc ( previously known as Palantir Corp )
One is a PC add-on card (AT-size) with a 68020 and lots of ram(2or4 megs)
and connection for a SCSI port for a scanner. We also have a UNIX add-on
which is a Ethernet connected-scanner and OCR. it contains 4 68000 and the
new version we do not have contains 4 68020 CPUs. It does a fair to very good
job depending on the quality of the input. scanning is fast (1 min/page).
It can read sideways but not at angle. For more info you should contact
Calera Systems. Sorry I can't find the info now but if someone needs it
e-mail to me.

Robert Belanger
belanger@philmtl.philips.ca

milton@milton.acs.washington.edu (Stephen Milton) (02/12/90)

Could anyone out there in net-land point me to some decent OCR software?
I would of course prefer public domain, but I would also be interested
in something commercial if reasonably priced.  I just bought a scanner,
and wanted to do some article scanning for the net...thanks for any help.

Steve Milton    milton@milton.u.washington.edu

haake@osprey.cvs.rochester.edu (Bill Haake) (02/12/90)

In article <1857@milton.acs.washington.edu> milton@milton.acs.washington.edu (Stephen Milton) writes:
>Could anyone out there in net-land point me to some decent OCR software?
>
>Steve Milton    milton@milton.u.washington.edu

Along these lines, I would like to know what sort of OCR systems (including
both software and hardware) are available. I am mainly interested in something
for PCs especially MS-DOS machines and Mac's, but anything would be okay.
If you have something like this, I would like to hear from you, how much it
cost, how hard it is to use, what kind of error rates you get, can you teach
it about special fonts, etc. If anyone else is interested, email me and I
will send you a summary of the responses.

Bill Haake                      haake@cvs.rochester.edu    (128.151.80.13)
University of Rochester         (716) 275-8680