[comp.graphics] ACM SIGGRAPH, how do I contact them?

tima@polari.UUCP (tim anderson) (02/07/90)

I sent off a check to the ACM to join up, but they haven't sent me
anything back. Does anyone have a phone number for them? Like an idiot
I did not save a copy of all of the forms I filled out to join... They
liked the check that I sent, though! Even IEEE sends out a little card
to make you feel welcome. I assumed that the ACM would do the same...

tima@polari
uw-beaver!sumax!polari!tima

herzog@dogwalk.Sun.COM (Brian Herzog) (02/07/90)

In article <1246@polari.UUCP>, tima@polari.UUCP (tim anderson) writes:
> I sent off a check to the ACM to join up, but they haven't sent me
> anything back. Does anyone have a phone number for them?

ACM
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY  10036
(212) 869-7440

Ask to speak to the membership department.  Be persistent.  And don't
take it personally - you're in good company!

Brian Herzog           "Badges?  We ain't got no badges. We don't need no
herzog@sun.com          badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
...!sun!herzog                                  - Treasure of the Sierra Madre

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (02/08/90)

In article <1246@polari.UUCP> tima@polari (tim anderson) writes:
>I sent off a check to the ACM to join up, but they haven't sent me
>anything back. Does anyone have a phone number for them? Like an idiot
>I did not save a copy of all of the forms I filled out to join... They
>liked the check that I sent, though! Even IEEE sends out a little card
>to make you feel welcome. I assumed that the ACM would do the same...
>
>tima@polari
>uw-beaver!sumax!polari!tima

Blankstein.SIGGRAPH@Xerox.com will reach the person at ACM Headquarters
who can forward your inquiry to the appropriate ACM staff person.  It
takes a long time (too long) to process ACM memberships.  But yours may
have been lost.

Send e-mail to the above with sufficient details to allow things to be
traced.

Membership processing at ACM is improving.  A new on-line system was
installed this year that does seem to provide much better service.  More
improvements are anticipated.

Almost everyone in SIGGRAPH is reachable via e-mail through courtesy
accounts (mail forwards) at Xerox PARC.  A periodic posting to this
news group describes the various userids.  Questions can always be
addressed to Postmaster.SIGGRAPH@Xerox.com regarding the SIGGRAPH
userids.

garnett@a.cs.okstate.edu (John Garnett) (02/08/90)

In article <1246@polari.UUCP> tima@polari (tim anderson) writes:
>I sent off a check to the ACM to join up, but they haven't sent me
>anything back. Does anyone have a phone number for them? Like an idiot

Our mailer doesn't want to talk to you so here's the info (I hope its
useful to more than one person):

From the inside cover of the Jan. 1990 Communications:

ACM Headquarters
11 West 42nd Street
New York, New York 10036
Tel 212 869-7440
For Member Services
Telex: 421686
FAX 212-944-1318
--
John Garnett                           Computing and Information Sciences
                                       Oklahoma State University

phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) (02/08/90)

hahahahah! (he says in frustration)!  I quit the ACM awhile back because
I got terrible service (as opposed to the IEEE).  I sent my new membership
in last month though and had hoped that things had changed...well I haven't
heard anything either, and if things go as they once did, I won't for awhile.

Oh well, does anyone know where I can join with a local chapter of sigraph
in the Sunnyvale, Ca area and start becoming part of the solution?

Patrick Horgan                          phorgan@cup.portal.com

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (02/12/90)

In article <26708@cup.portal.com> phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) writes:
>Oh well, does anyone know where I can join with a local chapter of sigraph
>in the Sunnyvale, Ca area and start becoming part of the solution?

A complete list of SIGGRAPH local groups is printed in the inside back cover
of each issue of the SIGGRAPH newsletter.  If you are not a member, many
university libraries have copies (at least of the proceedings issues).

The local groups representative on the SIGGRAPH EC is Lou Katz.  He, and all
other EC members, can be reached via a set of mail forwards at Xerox PARC
(thank you again PARC).  Lou is Katz.SIGGRAPH@Xerox.com.

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (02/12/90)

In article <13338@watcgl.waterloo.edu> ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) writes:
>In article <26708@cup.portal.com> phorgan@cup.portal.com (Patrick John Horgan) writes:
>>Oh well, does anyone know where I can join with a local chapter of sigraph
>>in the Sunnyvale, Ca area and start becoming part of the solution?
>
>A complete list of SIGGRAPH local groups is printed in the inside back cover
>of each issue of the SIGGRAPH newsletter.

ACM Computer Graphics has some notoriously late information about local
groups in the back.  It's been two years and I am still printed in the back
of CG and the phone number has been completely changed as well.
Contact Julian Gomez (julian@riacs.edu).  He's in charge now.  He
can give you standard line.

mccuaig@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Daniel Mccuaig) (02/13/90)

Howdy.  I have a similar question.
I was interested in joining the ACM and IEEE as a student member,
especially in joining siggraph.  Well, I sent away my request for
info on joining, but I do not know how long to wait.  I have waited
for about 6 weeks now.

I looked thru the journals for a phone number to call so that I could
join up instantly, but I could not find one.  I know they used to have
one previously.  Did it get cancelled.  Maybe I am blind and did not
see the number.  Any help on where to look for the number, or what the
actual number is.  I have a Visa card which I know you used to be able to
use with it.  I don't want to wait another 6 or 8 weeks to get joined up.
I know it takes the sled dogs 2 weeks to make the trip from the US border
to here :-)

thanx for your time    Dan McCuaig - weeny undergrad at Univ of Calgary
                                     {do they have a university there?}

pwtotten@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Paul W Totten) (02/13/90)

>in last month though and had hoped that things had changed...well I haven't
>heard anything either, and if things go as they once did, I won't for awhile.

Just as an article in support of ACM and SIGGraph........
I sent in my forms and money to ACM and SIGGraph at the end of November.
By January 1st I had received my membership card, with the ACM monthly
publication arriving shortly after that.  That's one of the quicker replies
I've gotten to things in the mail (And I live in Canada).

     | Paul W Totten                            It's OK...            |
     | pwtotten@watcgl.waterloo.edu             I'm with THE Band!!!! |
     | These opinions are my own.  My employer wouldn't want them!!!  |
     | "The real difference between hardware and software people is   |
     |  all in the knees"                                             |