[net.cooks] Wanted recipie for rice in the chinese style

jacob@cadvax (Jacobo Bulaevsky) (10/26/84)

Could someone out there send me the recipie to prepare rice in the
chinese style.  You know, the one that is all white and sticky and
doesn't look at all like uncle Ben's rice.

Thanks in advance.

Jacobo
--

UUCP:   {decvax!decwrl, ucbvax, ihnp4} !sun!megatest!jacob
	{lbl-csam, amd, ubvax} !megatest!jacob

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (10/30/84)

> Could someone out there send me the recipie to prepare rice in the
> chinese style.  You know, the one that is all white and sticky and
> doesn't look at all like uncle Ben's rice.

	Oriental White Rice for Two, Silicon Valley Style

2/3 Cup of White Rice, rinsed in tap water, drained
3/4 Cup of Water (real water, not the gunk that comes out of the tap
			at your kitchen sink, full of chemicals...)
Place the above ingredients into a "National Rice Cooker / Vege Steamer"
switch it on.  When it switches off, you've got 15 minutes to wait.

Alternatively, place the above ingredients, (less the Rice Cooker), in
an ordinary covered pot, and boil gently (OK, go ahead, burn the rice!)
until all the water is gone.  Remove heat source, and let set (covered)
for 15 minutes.

The National brand rice cookers, some models of which also double as
vegetable steamers, are infallible for producing perfect steamed white rice.
Well, you CAN forget to turn it on.  There are other brand names, but I
can't vouch for their quality or performance.  I've had my rice cooker for
6 years, and have zero (0) null, nill, no, nada complaints about it.
Well, it doesn't clean itself....
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Sunny Kirsten of Sun Microsystems Inc.)

sharp@farmer.DEC (Don Sharp, MK Design Services, MKO1-1/B7 DTN 264-6068) (10/31/84)

The trick to getting sticky Chinese style rice is to use short grain rice
instead of long grain rice. It's sometimes also called glutinous rice. I get
short grain rice in my supermarket (Alexander's on Broad St. in Nashua NH)
in the rice section right next to the Uncle Ben's. You can also get short
grain rice in oriental grocery stores. Sometime oriental rice is packaged
with talc as a preservative, if this is the case you have to rinse the rice
to get rid of the talc. Just rinse it in cold water until the water runs
clear.

If you want to make it even stickier, just overcook it.

Don Sharp
Digital Equipment Corp.
...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-farmer!sharp

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (10/31/84)

In article <122@cadvax> jacob@cadvax.UUCP (Jacobo Bulaevsky) writes:
>Could someone out there send me the recipie to prepare rice in the
>chinese style.  You know, the one that is all white and sticky and
>doesn't look at all like uncle Ben's rice.

Here's my method:

Put some rice in a pan (I usually figure from 1/4 - 1/2 cup dry rice per
person).  "Measure" the depth of the rice in the bottom of the pan
(stick in your finger and see how far it comes up).  Add cold water to
twice that depth (put your finger in the pan just touching the top of
the rice and add water to the previously determined point).  Put the pan
on the stove on high and put on a lid.  *As soon* as it boils, turn down
the heat as far as possible (on an electric stove, you may have to turn
it off).  Let the rice cook until all the water is absorbed (15 - 20
min, usually).  Ideally, you shouldn't open the pot until the rice is
done.

=Spencer

norm@ariel.UUCP (11/04/84)

The referenced submission on sticky rice mentioned that some oriental stores
may sell rice packed with some amount of talc that should be rinsed away from
the rice.  It may interest people that there was once an article claiming
that talc, as well as asbestos, was probably carcinogenic if inhaled or
ingested...  Perhaps this really belongs in another newsgroup, but since talc
was mentioned in this group, I'll post it here.  Anyone on the net know more
about supposed evidence for the carcinogenicity of talc? -- vax135!ariel!norm

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (11/06/84)

This note is not exactly an answer to the question about preparing
rice; it discusses how to cook ordinary long grain California rice
(e.g., Uncle Ben's).  This is a moderately fanatic approach to
consistent, good rice.

(1) If you are cooking rice in an UNFAMILIAR situation, such as
an unknown stove, unknown brands, a strange pot, an unusual amount,
the following traditional Chinese recipe is a great way to minimize
your risks:

	Place the measured amount of rice, and double that amount
	of water, in the pot.  Bring to a boil and stir slightly
	with a fork or chopstick.  Reduce heat to MEDIUM (the precise
	setting is not critical), and cook until the grains start to
	peep out above the water level.

	Reduce heat to LOW (but not miniscule), cover the pot tightly,
	and cook for 10 minutes.  During this 10 minutes, it is
	possible that the rice will dry out.  LISTEN to the pot from
	time to time, and turn the heat off if you hear a quiet
	crackling sound.

	Leave the pot without heat, but closed, for another 10 minutes,
	then it is ready to serve.  You have a high probability of
	getting cooked rice that is neither burned nor wet, in which
	the grains separate easily.

(2) For your routine rice cooking, always make the same amount in the
same pot in the same place.  You can thus get consistent results with
an even higher probability.  When using my own consistent setup, I
prefer to cook as follows:

	Use the same proportions of rice and water as in (1), and
	bring to a boil and stir as above.  Then reduce heat to LOW,
	cover pot, and cook for 25 minutes.  Let sit for 10 minutes,
	then open pot and serve.

	Adjust recipe slightly over time to get your ideal results
	consistently.

NB: Chinese recipes assume the rice is unsalted.  American recipes
assume the rice is salted.

	- Toby Robison (not Robinson!)
	allegra!eosp1!robison
	or: decvax!ittvax!eosp1!robison
	or (emergency): princeton!eosp1!robison

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (11/07/84)

Please note that "Uncle Ben's" and similar types of rice are NOT
"ordinary California long-grain rice".  "Uncle Ben's" is so-called
"converted" rice -- it has been par-boiled to make it cook easier
and faster.

I think we may have question of definitions here -- I consider 'ordinary'
to imply that the product has not had any, uh, extraordinary processing.
So to me, "ordinary" white rice has been dried, hulled and polished.
Period.

--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (11/09/84)

> Could someone out there send me the recipie to prepare rice in the
> chinese style.  You know, the one that is all white and sticky and
> doesn't look at all like uncle Ben's rice.

buy a rice cooker. i know you can get them in sf's chinatown.

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (11/12/84)

In article <238@zinfandel.UUCP> berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) writes:

>Please note that "Uncle Ben's" and similar types of rice are NOT
>"ordinary California long-grain rice".  "Uncle Ben's" is so-called
>"converted" rice -- it has been par-boiled to make it cook easier
>and faster.

I have never understood the origin of this misconception (that converted
rice cooks faster).  I can cook ordinary long-grain white rice in 20
minutes, while Uncle Ben's takes 25 minutes.  Doesn't seem faster to me.

=S

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (11/16/84)

In article <1242@utah-gr.UUCP> thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:

>I have never understood the origin of this misconception (that converted
>rice cooks faster).  I can cook ordinary long-grain white rice in 20
>minutes, while Uncle Ben's takes 25 minutes.  Doesn't seem faster to me.

OK, I erred.  The problem is that I NEVER use "Uncle Ben's" or other
'converted' rices.  I buy Calrose in 25 pound sacks.  (My wife is
allergic to potatoes, so we eat a lot of rice and pasta)

I may have confused it with that other abomination, "Minute Rice".  My
apologies to anyone I confused.