[comp.graphics] Color .PICT -> .GIF converter needed.

jk44+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Knight) (02/28/90)

Help! I need to convert some color PICT images (output by a Mac II) to
something other machines will understand. GIF is what I eventually want to
end up with, but I'll take anything right now...

BTW: PBMplus, FBM and the Utah toolkit don't seem to like color PICT images.

Jack Knight
ARPA: jk44@andrew.cmu.edu
*************************

klong@wilkins.bcm.tmc.edu (Kevin Long) (02/28/90)

In article <8Zuf_nK00WB7QZ7kQP@andrew.cmu.edu> jk44+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Knight) writes:
>Help! I need to convert some color PICT images (output by a Mac II) to
>something other machines will understand. GIF is what I eventually want to
>end up with, but I'll take anything right now...

You want the Giffer (1.0 or more), a Mac application that among other things
reads PICT2 images (color PICT), and writes them out as GIF images.
It's pretty slow on an 8-bit 640x480 image (about 2 minutes to convert),
but once you get it in GIF format, you can use pbmplus's giftoppm and
on to ppmtorast for a color Sun rasterfile, etc.  It works well; I was
just using it today to convert some video frames off of videodisc through
the Mac II and into X on my Sparcstation.

Giffer is Beerware: If you like it, you send the author a case of beer.
It should be available via anonymous ftp from sumex-aim.stanford.edu
(36.44.0.6), in info-mac/graphics, I believe.  You'll also need Binhex 4.0,
of course, and probably Stuffit.

	Kevin Long
	Baylor College of Medicine