[comp.graphics] Ocean Synthesis HELP!!!

isacreman@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk (03/01/90)

    Hi Folks,

  I am unsuccessfully trying to produce a C program from an article in
IEEE CG&A March 1987. The article is titled 'Fourier Synthesis of Ocean
Scenes', written by Gary Mastin, Peter Watterberg, and John Mareda.

  I have produced a working program from the algorithm described in the
article, but the data obtained from this program is, as far as I can
tell, wrong (ie. changing the white noise produces white noise).

  Has anybody successfully implemented this algorithm and produced screen
pictures ?????? (and even animated these pictures?).

  If so, could they mail a working program (preferably in C or Pascal) or
good Pseudo-Code or describe how they coded the algorithm. Anything, I just
need Help!!!

  Also, has anyone got any other Ocean Synthesis programs, or know of any?

    Cheers Richy.

+--------------------------------+
|If 'The world is my oyster',    |
|I'm still looking for my pearl, |
|or Hazel, or Joanne, or Steph,  |
|or .............................|
+--------------------------------+

kyriazis@iear.arts.rpi.edu (George Kyriazis) (03/02/90)

In article <597.25ecdb1f@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk> isacreman@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk writes:

>    Hi Folks,
>

>  I am unsuccessfully trying to produce a C program from an article in
>IEEE CG&A March 1987. The article is titled 'Fourier Synthesis of Ocean
>Scenes', written by Gary Mastin, Peter Watterberg, and John Mareda.
>
>  I have produced a working program from the algorithm described in the
>article, but the data obtained from this program is, as far as I can
>tell, wrong (ie. changing the white noise produces white noise).
>
>  Has anybody successfully implemented this algorithm and produced screen
>pictures ?????? (and even animated these pictures?).

Yes, I have used some 2-d fft routines a friend of mine wrote for
his Master's project (I think) to produce pretty realistic images.
I did the ray tracing on a pixel machine.  I tried to animate them
also and the result wasn't that bad.

>  If so, could they mail a working program (preferably in C or Pascal) or
>good Pseudo-Code or describe how they coded the algorithm. Anything, I just
>need Help!!!

Well, the algorithm isn't anything complicated.  The only thing I had
to code was the filter generator.  The rest was implemented as a unix pipe:

	fftr <white | filter 1f | ifftr | tracesea

tracesea is a dumb little program to convert the output array to
suitable data for the raytracer.

  George Kyriazis                 kyriazis@turing.cs.rpi.edu
				  kyriazis@rdrc.rpi.edu
 				  kyriazis@iear.arts.rpi.edu

markv@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Mark VandeWettering) (03/02/90)

Its been awhile since I have seen this paper, but as I recall it simply
modelled the ocean as a simple height field, which was generated by a
fourier synthesis.  It looks okay, but not especially like an ocean.

There has been considerable work done in actually attempting to simulate
ocean waves and their motions as they crest and crash onto beaches.  I
don't have a great bibliography, but here are a couple of pointers:

Fournier and Reeves, A Simple Model of Ocean Waves, Proceedings,
	Siggraph 86

(There is also another article in this proceedings that relates to wave
 modelling and synthesis, I don't have it in front of me right now)

I believe that Brian Barsky and ???? also had an article in Transactions
on Graphics on modeling waves that seemed really nice.

Hope this helps.

Mark