[comp.graphics] Volume Rendering Tools

sumane@portia.Stanford.EDU (Thilaka Sumanaweera) (03/02/90)

VOXVU is a volume rendering tool available on SUN workstations
equipped with a TAAC board. Does anybody out there know if Silicon
Grpahics has a similar tool available on personal IRIS-4D/2* ?

Any pointer/ suggestion is welcome.

Thilaka

sumane@ibis.stanford.edu

thant@horus.esd.sgi.com (Thant Tessman) (03/02/90)

In article <9684@portia.Stanford.EDU>, sumane@portia.Stanford.EDU
(Thilaka Sumanaweera) writes:

> VOXVU is a volume rendering tool available on SUN workstations
> equipped with a TAAC board. Does anybody out there know if Silicon
> Grpahics has a similar tool available on personal IRIS-4D/2* ?

> Thilaka
>
> sumane@ibis.stanford.edu

Yes.  VoxelLab comes with SGI boxes and is a subset of VoxelView
from Vital Images, Inc.

thant

thant@horus.esd.sgi.com (Thant Tessman) (03/03/90)

In article <4805@odin.SGI.COM>, thant@horus.esd.sgi.com (Thant Tessman) writes:
> In article <9684@portia.Stanford.EDU>, sumane@portia.Stanford.EDU
> (Thilaka Sumanaweera) writes:
> >

> > VOXVU is a volume rendering tool available on SUN workstations
> > equipped with a TAAC board. Does anybody out there know if Silicon
> > Grpahics has a similar tool available on personal IRIS-4D/2* ?
>
> > Thilaka
> >
> > sumane@ibis.stanford.edu
>
> Yes.  VoxelLab comes with SGI boxes and is a subset of VoxelView
> from Vital Images, Inc.
>
> thant

I spoke too soon.  VoxelLab is only liscenced to run on GT's and
GTX's.

thant

p.s.  If you haven't guessed already, I am not an official
spokesperson for either SGI or Vital Images.

ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) (03/03/90)

From article <9684@portia.Stanford.EDU>, by sumane@portia.Stanford.EDU (Thilaka Sumanaweera):

> VOXVU is a volume rendering tool available on SUN workstations
> equipped with a TAAC board. Does anybody out there know if Silicon
> Grpahics has a similar tool available on personal IRIS-4D/2* ?
>
> Any pointer/ suggestion is welcome.

Have a look at VoxelView by Vital Images. This product has been _specifically_
tuned to run on IRIS's, especially GTX models (and just wait for it on the new
graphics :-).

It currently renders at ~4million voxels/sec on a 240GTX and is soon to come
with some goodies like a shared memory interface, various preprocessors etc. We
have been putting it through it's paces for a few weeks now and will be using
it on our 240GTX real soon now. Get lots of memory though .....

Their address is

        Vital Images
        PO Box 551
        Fairfield, IA 52556