[comp.graphics] Best Real-time 3D graphics system

scott@heim.glendale.ca.us (03/02/90)

This is an open to the question to the lot of you...

What do you think is the best real-time 3D graphics computer you know of?

Or, rephrasing - if it where your job to make a "really great" video game,
which platform would you base it on?

Feel free to respond here in the newsgroup - or if you prefer direct e-mail
I'll summarize to the net.

Thanx in advance.
--
Scott Watson - "Inane little message goes here"
    uucp: {rutgers,ames}!elroy!grian!heim!scott

kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) (03/03/90)

You mean a home computer?? The Amiga with a 68030/40. You have to write the
3D graphics commands but I have done most of that in Unix and Xwindows so
when the get it going, I am porting it there from a Sun. There is no
"real-time" home computer - Silicon Graphics is the only machine that I'd
call real time for  true graphics - Garoud Shading, Phong Shading, full 3D
hardware animation, multi-point lighting (multi-color too).
Peter Kovach

Internet: kovach@src.honeywell.com

scott@heim.glendale.ca.us (03/04/90)

In article <61001@srcsip.UUCP> kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) writes:
>You mean a home computer?? The Amiga with a 68030/40. You have to write the

Sorry - I didn't make myself very clear with the initial question.

No, I don't mean home computer.  I meant: "If you had all the money you could
want to make a *great* video game, what computers would you want?"

For example, I heard that SGI just announced a new machine w/ around 5x the
performance of their last - and that it has texture mapping!

But I also wonder about things like the "AT&T Pixel Machine"... I haven't
played w/ one, but I here that it screams!

--
Scott Watson - "Inane little message goes here"
    uucp: {rutgers,ames}!elroy!grian!heim!scott
Internet: scott@heim.glendale.ca.us

mcooper@suna1.cs.uiuc.edu (03/05/90)

SGI Iris...

Unless I could get a Pixel....  (HAH!!!)