[comp.graphics] NEED GIF FORMAT

hcooper@esunix.UUCP (Harrison Cooper) (03/06/90)

Does anyone have a file format for GIF files?  I need a complete
definition of this please.

I prefer e-mail, but post if you can't get thru.

Harrison Cooper
Evans & Sutherland
801-582-5847

utah-cs!esunix!hcooper
hcooper@esunix.uucp

mpe@shamash.cdc.com (2375) (03/07/90)

There has been a lot of traffic lately concerning GIF file formats, and
rather than continue to have individual requests every 5 days or so,
could someone in netland publicly post the answers so everyone's
needs can be met.  I too am interested.

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (03/07/90)

In article <18384@shamash.cdc.com> mpe@shamash.UUCP (Mike Ebsen 482-2375) writes:
>There has been a lot of traffic lately concerning GIF file formats, and
>rather than continue to have individual requests every 5 days or so,
>could someone in netland publicly post the answers so everyone's
>needs can be met.  I too am interested.

They are in the monthly F(requently) A(sked) Q(uestions) posting in
comp.sys.ibm.pc, of which the inaugural posting was just five short days ago.

You can get this file by:
    rewinding your comp.sys.ibm.pc file index to around 50100 and reading.

(Some of these requests have been cross-posted to c.s.i.p, hence the
reference in the faq.)

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

spelling and grammar flames > /dev/null

ken@watsun.cc.columbia.edu (Ken Rossman) (03/08/90)

  Date: 6 Mar 90 17:59:59 GMT
  From: mpe@shamash.cdc.com (2375)
  Newsgroups: comp.graphics,comp.sys.ibm.pc
  Subject: Re: NEED GIF FORMAT

  There has been a lot of traffic lately concerning GIF file formats, and
  rather than continue to have individual requests every 5 days or so,
  could someone in netland publicly post the answers so everyone's
  needs can be met.  I too am interested.

Well, I have an online GIF standards doc here if anyone wants it.  If
there's a central place (machine on the net) that such documents are being
kept (that, for example, Jef Poskanzer's weekly info posting mentions),
then maybe it should get stuffed there.

/Ken

skeeve@pawl.rpi.edu (Sean C. Cox) (03/08/90)

mpe@shamash.cdc.com (2375) writes:

>There has been a lot of traffic lately concerning GIF file formats, and
>rather than continue to have individual requests every 5 days or so,
>could someone in netland publicly post the answers so everyone's
>needs can be met.  I too am interested.

    Ok, here goes.

      For information on manipulating GIF images, there is a set of routines
    available form SIMTEL20 (and wuarchive.wustl.edu) in PD1:<MSDOS.GRAPHICS>
    (or /mirrors/msdos/graphics) called  gif_lib.zip which also contains the
    GIF image specification from CompuServe.

      In the same directory, there is a file called TIFF50.ARC (or .ZI, I
    can't remember)  which is the full description of the TIFF image format.

    I hope this helps.

                                         -Sean Cox

Sean_Cox@mts.rpi.edu    \  "Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a
userGDQT@RPITSMTS.BITNET >  comedy for those who think." -Jean de LaBruyere
skeeve@pawl.rpi.edu     /  "F*ck 'em if they can't take a joke." - John Cox

hamilton@cell.mot.COM (Danial Hamilton) (03/09/90)

skeeve@pawl.rpi.edu (Sean C. Cox) writes:

>      For information on manipulating GIF images, there is a set of routines
>    available form SIMTEL20 (and wuarchive.wustl.edu) in PD1:<MSDOS.GRAPHICS>
>    (or /mirrors/msdos/graphics) called  gif_lib.zip which also contains the
>    GIF image specification from CompuServe.
>      In the same directory, there is a file called TIFF50.ARC (or .ZI, I
>    can't remember)  which is the full description of the TIFF image format.

GIF doc's can also be found on SIMTEL20 in:

   PD1:<MSDOS.GIF>GIF.ARC  and  PD1:<MSDOS.GIF>GIFDOC.ARC

If you can't ftp, send email to  uunet!vm1.nodak.edu!listserv
with no subject, and the following lines in the message area:

   /PDGET MAIL PD1:<MSDOS.GIF>GIF.ARC UUENCODE
   /PDGET MAIL PD1:<MSDOS.GIF>GIFDOC.ARC UUENCODE