[comp.graphics] Wanted: References for 3-D Delauney triangulations

markv@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Mark VandeWettering) (03/09/90)

Allright, I give up.  I am not a topologist, nor do I play one on TV.
I want to construct a Delauney triangulation in three space, for a potentially
large (~50K) sites, and I wanna do it fast and neat, but mostly simply.

Are there some shortcuts, or am I gonna half to go through every book
on computational geometry in the world?  :-)   Send me your references.
Code will also be accepted, but I would prefer references.  (Can't debug
what you don't understand.)

Mark VandeWettering (markv@acm.princeton.edu)

flynn@pixel.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J. Flynn) (03/09/90)

In article <14389@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> markv@gauss.Princeton.EDU () writes:

>Allright, I give up.  I am not a topologist, nor do I play one on TV.
>I want to construct a Delauney triangulation in three space, for a potentially
>large (~50K) sites, and I wanna do it fast and neat, but mostly simply.
>
>Are there some shortcuts, or am I gonna half to go through every book
>on computational geometry in the world?  :-)   Send me your references.
>Code will also be accepted, but I would prefer references.  (Can't debug
>what you don't understand.)

No code here, but here are some refs I've collected.

B. Choi, H. Shin, Y. Yoon & J. Lee, Triangulation of scattered data in
3D space, Comp. Aided Dgn., v.20, n. 5, 1988, pp. 239-248.  This journal
is published by Butterworths.

D. Avis and H. ElGindy, Triangulating point sets in space, Disc. & Comp.
Geom. v. 2, pp. 99-111, 1987. (pub. by Springer)

A couple of papers from the computer vision literature:

J-D. Boisonnat, Representation of objects by triangulating points
in 3D space, Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, 1982, pp. 830-832.

J-D. Boissonnat, Representing 2D and 3D shapes with the Delaunay triangulation,
Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, 1984, pp. 745-748.

L. De Floriani, Surface representations based on triangular grids,
The Visual Computer, v. 3, n. 1, 1987, pp. 27-50 (pub. by Springer).

TTFN- Pat
--
Patrick Flynn, CS, Michigan State University, flynn@cps.msu.edu

"I notice your oeuvre is monochromatic." -- Hobbes