[comp.graphics] zooming algorithms

moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) (03/09/90)

	Does anyone know of any references which discuss zooming
algorithms?  I'm talking about something other than
zoom-down-by-subsampling and zoom-up-by-interpolation (or
replication).

Richard

markv@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Mark VandeWettering) (03/09/90)

In article <6962@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> moster@iris.ucdavis.edu (Richard Haynes Moster) writes:

>	Does anyone know of any references which discuss zooming
>algorithms?  I'm talking about something other than
>zoom-down-by-subsampling and zoom-up-by-interpolation (or
>replication).

Well gosh, how else would YOU do it?

Subsampling should only be done after prefiltering to removie high frequencies,
and then should be followed with an adequate reconstruction filter.  Zooming
by replication is about as good as you can do, providing you filter the
results appropriately.

There definitely is alot of room for research in the construction of adequate
filters and filtering techniques in computer graphics.  I would be interested
in any references that people have found useful.

I used to believe that computer graphics was all geometry.
Then I believed it was all algebra.
Now I believe its all sampling theory.

Mark