[comp.graphics] X Windows book

yuleat@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Andy Yule) (03/08/90)

I've been recommended a book on X windows titled:

   X Window Apllications Programming
   by Eric Johnson & Kevin Reichard

Before I rush out and buy it, could I have a second opinion?

            Thanks in advance,

                       Andy Yule
yuleat@prl.philips.co.uk       Philips Research Labs, Redhill

kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) (03/09/90)

The book, X Windows Applications Programming is excellent. I used it and
was able to develop a 3000 line, 3-d plotting and animation routine in 3
days. The book gives very good examples of writting applications from the
ground up. If you do not plan on using libraries (graphics and other
utilities) that have been built (i.e. common windows and other C based
packages) it is an invaluable book (IMHO). Obviously I am recommending it.
Peter Kovach

Facation - A vacation of the mind

Internet: kovach@src.honeywell.com

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (03/10/90)

In article <1064@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk>,
yuleat@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Andy Yule) writes:
> I've been recommended a book on X windows titled:
>
>    X Window Apllications Programming
>    by Eric Johnson & Kevin Reichard

I would recommend against this book.  The strongest point of this book
is its numerous examples.  Unfortunately, many of the examples are
poorly behaved or violate X interoperability conventions.  Further,
this book only covers the most basic X programming interface (Xlib).
Most programmers are much better off using the higher level (X Toolkit)
interfaces.  A good tutorial on the X Toolkit is *The X Window System:
Programming and Applications with XT* by Doug Young.  If you must use
Xlib, a good tutorial is *Introduction to the X Window System* by
Oliver Jones.  Both books are published by Prentice-Hall.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee