[net.cooks] Truth in Advertising?

betsy@dartvax.UUCP (Betsy Hanes Perry) (11/09/84)

From the November *Gourmet* magazine, p. 110 :

"The outside of a pot, any pot, radiates heat into your kitchen,
a sheer waste of energy and often a source of discomfort to the cook.
A *black* pot wastes significantly more energy in this way than
a bright stainless steel pot.  (Ever get into a black car on a sunny day?)

(from a Cuisinart cookware ad, signed by Cuisinarts's president, no less.)

It ends with "Next time, I'll try to clear up some misconceptions about the heat
conductivity of cookware."

Gosh, I can hardly wait.

Betsy Perry
--
Elizabeth Hanes Perry
UUCP: {decvax|linus|cornell}!dartvax!betsy

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (11/11/84)

< Namin nami nami nami ... >

I still can't believe the ignorance prevailing in journalism today!
For someone to draw the conclusion that since black cars get hot in
the sun, then black pots must radiate lots of waste heat is
incredulous!  This person should have at least consulted a basic
physics text.

Obviously, black absorbs the most heat, as it does not *reflect* light
rays of any wavelength.  On the other hand, a silver car will reflect
most light rays (waves?  particles?).

On the other hand, an object of colour x can only radiate light (read:
heat) of colour x (i.e. that wavelength).  Therefore, a 100% black pot
will radiate *no heat* at all.  It will be warm to the touch, though.
However, it is impossible to make a 100% black pot (if it was 100%
black, it would absorb all the light and you wouldn't be able to see
it!), but an almost-black pot is still the best way to go.

:-( :-( :-(  Journalism today  :-( :-( :-(

Tom Haapanen		University of Waterloo		(519) 744-2468

allegra \
clyde \  \
decvax ---- watmath --- watdcsu --- haapanen
ihnp4 /  /
linus  /		The opinions herein are not those of my employers,
			of the University of Waterloo, and probably not of
			anybody else either.

marcus@pyuxt.UUCP (M. G. Hand) (11/13/84)

>I still can't believe the ignorance prevailing in journalism today!
>For someone to draw the conclusion that since black cars get hot in
>the sun, then black pots must radiate lots of waste heat is
>incredulous!  This person should have at least consulted a basic
>physics text.

>On the other hand, an object of colour x can only radiate light (read:
>heat) of colour x (i.e. that wavelength).  Therefore, a 100% black pot
>will radiate *no heat* at all.  It will be warm to the touch, though.

Is this why my physics book used to talk of "black body radiation"
with the same reverence that it used for "perfectly elastic spheres."
I think black is the *best* radiator.

		Marcus Hand	(pyuxt!marcus)

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (11/13/84)

> From the November *Gourmet* magazine, p. 110 :
>
> "The outside of a pot, any pot, radiates heat into your kitchen,
> a sheer waste of energy and often a source of discomfort to the cook.
> A *black* pot wastes significantly more energy in this way than
> a bright stainless steel pot.  (Ever get into a black car on a sunny day?)
>
> (from a Cuisinart cookware ad, signed by Cuisinarts's president, no less.)
>
> It ends with "Next time, I'll try to clear up some misconceptions about the heat
> conductivity of cookware."
>
> Gosh, I can hardly wait.
>
> Betsy Perry
> --
> Elizabeth Hanes Perry
> UUCP: {decvax|linus|cornell}!dartvax!betsy
> CSNET: betsy@dartmouth
> ARPA:  betsy%dartmouth@csnet-relay

You know.  Black body radiation.  Never hear of shiny steel body radiation do
you?  I thought not.
Nemo :@>

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (11/13/84)

And that's why they call a perfect radiator a "black
body", right.

grumpf.
--

				Charlie Martin
				(...mcnc!duke!crm)

bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) (11/14/84)

regarding black bodies

    "There are some substances, such as lampblack, whose absorptivity is very
    nearly unity.  For theoretical purposes it is useful to conceive of an
    ideal substance capable of absorbing all the thermal radiation falling
    on it.  Such a substance is called a blackbody.

    "...the irradiance within a cavity whose walls are at the temperature
    *theta* is equal to the radiant emittance of a blackbody at the same
    temperature.  For this reason, the radiation within a cavity is called
    blackbody radiation.  ...  Since [irradiance] is independent of the
    materials of which the interior walls are composed, it follows that the
    radiant emittance of a blackbody is a function of the temperature only."

    [from "Heat and Thermodynamics" by Mark W. Zemansky]

Thus blackbody refers to the absorptive qualities of a material.  I hope
this ends the speculation I've seen here recently, and we can get on to
topics more germaine to this newsgroup.
--
Robert Reed, Logic Design Systems Division, tektronix!teklds!bobr

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (11/15/84)

> >I still can't believe the ignorance prevailing in journalism today!
> >For someone to draw the conclusion that since black cars get hot in
> >the sun, then black pots must radiate lots of waste heat is
> >incredulous!  This person should have at least consulted a basic
> >physics text.
>
> >On the other hand, an object of colour x can only radiate light (read:
> >heat) of colour x (i.e. that wavelength).  Therefore, a 100% black pot
> >will radiate *no heat* at all.  It will be warm to the touch, though.
>
> Is this why my physics book used to talk of "black body radiation"
> with the same reverence that it used for "perfectly elastic spheres."
> I think black is the *best* radiator.
>
> 		Marcus Hand	(pyuxt!marcus)

I hope that all this is also making it to net.jokes!  The energy given
off by "black body" radiation is proportional to T^4 (where T is the
absolute temperature of the object).  The wavelength of the emitted
energy is inversely proportional to the frequency, which is in turn
proportional to the energy (remember "h nu"?).  That's why a black
piece of steel will glow red when sufficiently heated, etc.  The point
is that the frequency of the emitted radiation has NOTHING to do with
the color of the object.  The color of an object, among other things,
does have an effect on (and is caused by) the frequencies of light that
it absorbs.  As I recall, the best color for absorbing the frequencies
of normal sunlight was found to be green, not black, by researchers
working on solar collectors.
Nemo

john@x.UUCP (John Woods) (11/15/84)

> < Namin nami nami nami ... >
> I still can't believe the ignorance prevailing in journalism today!
> For someone to draw the conclusion that since black cars get hot in
> the sun, then black pots must radiate lots of waste heat is
> incredulous!  This person should have at least consulted a basic
> physics text.
> Obviously, black absorbs the most heat, as it does not *reflect* light
> rays of any wavelength.  On the other hand, a silver car will reflect
> most light rays (waves?  particles?).
> On the other hand, an object of colour x can only radiate light (read:
> heat) of colour x (i.e. that wavelength).  Therefore, a 100% black pot
> will radiate *no heat* at all.  It will be warm to the touch, though.
> However, it is impossible to make a 100% black pot (if it was 100%
> black, it would absorb all the light and you wouldn't be able to see
> it!), but an almost-black pot is still the best way to go.

WRONGO, CONS BREATH!

My basic physics text:
"Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles" by
Robert Eisberg and Robert Resnick, (c) 1974 John Wiley and Sons, New York.
@begin(quote)
Example 1-2, page 7 (boy, this has to be basic):

Assume we have two small opaque bodies a large distance from one another
supported by fine threads in a large evacuated enclosure whose walls are
opaque and kept at a constant temperature.  IN SUCH A CASE THE BODIES AND
WALLS CAN EXCHANGE ENERGY ONLY BY MEANS OF RADIATION.  Let (e) represent
the rate of emission of radiant energy by a body and let (a) represent
the rate of absorption of radiant energy by a body.  Show that at equilibrium

		 e1       e2
		----  =  ---- = 1				(1-5)
		 a1       a2

This relation, (1-5), is known as "Kirchoff's law for radiation."
	Proof:
The equilibrium state is one of constant temperature throughout the enclosed
system, and in that state the emission rate necessarily equals the absorption
rate for each body.  Hence

		e1 = a1		and	e2 = a2
Therefore:
		 e1		e2
		----  =  1  =  ----
		 a1		a2

If one body, say body 2, is a blackbody, then a2 > a1 because a blackbody is
a better absorber than a non-blackbody.  HENCE, IT FOLLOWS FROM (1-5) THAT
e2 > e1.  THE OBSERVED FACT THAT GOOD ABSORBERS ARE ALSO GOOD EMITTERS IS THUS
PREDICTED BY KIRCHOFF'S LAW.
@end(quote)

Emphasis mine.

Good absorbers of radiant energy are good emitters of radiant energy.

The only radiation that comes from a blackbody is featureless thermal
radiation, which is why it is a "blackbody".  Try the following experiment:

Build a "cavity blackbody" as follows:  Take a cubic hunk of something that
won't melt and hollow it out, leaving a small hole in one side (just barely
large enough to see in), viz:

	--------	The hole represents your blackbody.  Look into it.
	|      |	It should be quite dark (if not, you made it too
	|		large).  It helps to paint the inside black, but it
	|      |	is not necessary if the hole is small enough.
	--------

Place it in a high temperature oven and heat it till it glows red (I didn't
say it would be easy, did I).  Look at the hole.  It ought to be glowing red.
However, you won't see the inside of the box, you'll only see a featureless
red glow.

If you can't perform this experiment, don't worry, it was done on a NOVA
program a couple of years back.  I suggest that you sit down and watch every
NOVA program ever made, continuously, until you come across this show.
Maybe you'll learn something...

"This person" who did that commercial wins a cookie from me for being correct.

			John Woods
			B.S. Physics, MIT 1982
			B.S. Electrical Engineering/Computer Science, MIT 1982

[ Whether or not the above opinions reflect those of my employer has no
  bearing upon the radiation of black bodies or the motion of the Earth.]
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1114
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

If your puppy goes off in the next room,
is it because of the explosive charge?		[y][n]

plh@ukma.UUCP (Paul L. Hightower) (11/15/84)

> From: haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS])
>Date: Sun, 11-Nov-84 15:39:41 EST

>I still can't believe the ignorance prevailing in journalism today!
>For someone to draw the conclusion that since black cars get hot in
>the sun, then black pots must radiate lots of waste heat is
>incredulous!  This person should have at least consulted a basic
>physics text.
>On the other hand, an object of colour x can only radiate light (read:
>heat) of colour x (i.e. that wavelength).  Therefore, a 100% black pot
>will radiate *no heat* at all.  It will be warm to the touch, though.

>:-( :-( :-(  Journalism today  :-( :-( :-(

>Tom Haapanen		University of Waterloo		(519) 744-2468

Tom, did you consult a basic physics text?  Have you ever observed the
fact that *black* rooftops melt snow faster than *white* ones ?

<<Flame on!>>

The color black both absorbs and *radiates* heat better than other colors.

<<Flame off.>>

I have no idea what this means in regards to cooking pots.

Paul Hightower          University of Kentucky

Black objects b

paf@cornell.UUCP (Peter Fenyes) (11/15/84)

>>I still can't believe the ignorance prevailing in journalism today!
>>For someone to draw the conclusion that since black cars get hot in
>>the sun, then black pots must radiate lots of waste heat is
>>incredulous!  This person should have at least consulted a basic
>>physics text.
>
>>On the other hand, an object of colour x can only radiate light (read:
>>heat) of colour x (i.e. that wavelength).  Therefore, a 100% black pot
>>will radiate *no heat* at all.  It will be warm to the touch, though.

Marcus Hand replies .....

>Is this why my physics book used to talk of "black body radiation"
>with the same reverence that it used for "perfectly elastic spheres."
>I think black is the *best* radiator.
>
>		Marcus Hand	(pyuxt!marcus)

I would agree that black is the best radiator, but....

Although I haven't done any calculations, I find it hard to imagine that
at stove-top temperatures radiation is significant. My guess would be that
the heat losses by convection are much greater....so the ad would  still
appear to be quite misleading since the color has no effect on the
convection. Now maybe they should do some wind tunnel testing ..... :-)

                                         Peter Fenyes

ems@amdahl.UUCP (E. Michael Smith) (11/15/84)

> >I still can't believe the ignorance prevailing in journalism today!
> >For someone to draw the conclusion that since black cars get hot in
> >the sun, then black pots must radiate lots of waste heat is
> >incredulous!  This person should have at least consulted a basic
> >physics text.
>
> >On the other hand, an object of colour x can only radiate light (read:
> >heat) of colour x (i.e. that wavelength).  Therefore, a 100% black pot
> >will radiate *no heat* at all.  It will be warm to the touch, though.
>
> Is this why my physics book used to talk of "black body radiation"
> with the same reverence that it used for "perfectly elastic spheres."
> I think black is the *best* radiator.
>
> 		Marcus Hand	(pyuxt!marcus)

Marcus is right.  The mistake in the first argument is this:  the
conclusion that a body of color x radiates only x therefore black,
having no color doesn't radiate.  The fact is that black is *all*
colors and thus radiates *all* colors.  Absorption and radiation
form a pair.  Reflection and radiation do not.  The color *reflected*
is not radiated well.  (Think of the color you see as the color
the object *is not*.  That is, the one it reflected away because it
could not absorb it. Silvery surfaces reflect all colors well and
do not radiate well at all.  Of large importance, though, is the
reflectivity/absorptivity in the infrared range which cannot be
judged by eye.  Your silvery pot may be 'black' in the IR while
the black pot may be 'shiney' in the IR.

An interesting example of this is the green garden hose phenomenon.
One green hose gets *quite* hot in the sun, another does not. Why?
Both are absorbing large quantities of radiation.  One is radiating
it away in the IR, the other (a different plastic with different IR
radiation abilities) cannot radiate as well and so becomes quite hot.

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily those of anyone.
(How can a company have an opinion, anyway...)

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (11/16/84)

Peter Fenyes states: I believe at stovetop temperatures radiation is
insignificant.

Without doing the calculations I tend to agree, although convection is
not the driving factor in how "good" a pot is either.  The purpose of a
pot is to conduct the heat from the source (the burner) to the food.
Conduction depends on the thermal conductivity of the pot (a material
property) and on the thickness.  It can easily be modeled like electrical
resistance:

		R(conduction) =  L / kA

	where R is the thermal resistance
	      L is the distance the heat must be transferred
	      k is thermal conductivity (expressed as watts/(meters*degrees))
	      A is area (normal to the heat path)

Actually radiation and convection can be similarly modeled.

The problem on the stovetop is to distribute the heat from the burner to
all parts of the pot.  Often the pot is larger than the burner and so the
heat must be conducted out to the edges.  Thus the thickness becomes the
area in the above equation.  Values for k for typical pot materials;

	stainless steel -  14.4
	aluminum 	-  164 (if pure - 236)
	cast iron	-  52
	pure copper	-  399

These values were taken out of "Basic Heat Transfer" by Frabk Kreith & William
Black and are only approximate for actual pot materials.

It is easily seen that stainless steel must be many times thicker than aluminum
to conduct as much heat (read "distribute it as evenly").

Many people care about how long the pot takes to heat up also, mass is now the
driving force so thickness becomes a liability.  (Simplified argument)

Many people also want the pot to store heat, suffice it to say this is an
inverse function to that os heating up, although radiation is now more of
a factor.

I'll quit now before I bore too many of you,

Peter Barbee

decvax-+-uw-beaver-+
ihnp4--+   allegra-+
ucbvax----lbl-csam-+--fluke!tron
	       sun-+
	   ssc-vax-+

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/16/84)

> However, it is impossible to make a 100% black pot (if it was 100%
> black, it would absorb all the light and you wouldn't be able to see
> it!), but an almost-black pot is still the best way to go.

Give me a break.  The fact that it doesn't reflect any light doesn't
make it transparent, it makes it black.  You can see it because it is
black, while everything else in your kitchen isn't.

-Ron

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (11/16/84)

In article <642@watdcsu.UUCP> haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) writes:
>Obviously, black absorbs the most heat, as it does not *reflect* light
>rays of any wavelength.  On the other hand, a silver car will reflect
>most light rays (waves?  particles?).
>
>On the other hand, an object of colour x can only radiate light (read:
>heat) of colour x (i.e. that wavelength).  Therefore, a 100% black pot
>will radiate *no heat* at all.  It will be warm to the touch, though.
>However, it is impossible to make a 100% black pot (if it was 100%
>black, it would absorb all the light and you wouldn't be able to see
>it!), but an almost-black pot is still the best way to go.

I can't believe that I'm reading this on the netnews!  As any first year
physics student knows, an absolutely black object radiates the MOST heat
of all objects at the same temperature.  The absorption/radiation curves
are, and must be, the same (an object will not radiate at a wavelength
which it does not absorb).

Back to school for you.

=Spencer

jmm@ski.UUCP (Joel M. Miller) (11/19/84)

> >I still can't believe the ignorance prevailing in journalism today!
> >For someone to draw the conclusion that since black cars get hot in
> >the sun, then black pots must radiate lots of waste heat is
> >incredulous!  This person should have at least consulted a basic
> >physics text.
>
> >On the other hand, an object of colour x can only radiate light (read:
> >heat) of colour x (i.e. that wavelength).  Therefore, a 100% black pot
> >will radiate *no heat* at all.  It will be warm to the touch, though.

As I recall from high school physics, good absorbers of heat are good
radiators (& vice versa).  Imagine a universe containing a box.
Eventually this system will reach thermal equilibrium and the box &
its surroundings will be the same temperature (2nd law of thermodynamics).
But what if the surface of the box made it a good radiator and, at the
same time, a poor absorber?  Then more heat would leave the box than
would enter, and you could make a killing in the frozen food business
with this no-cost (no energy cost, specifically) refrigerator.
Similarly, if the surface of the box were a better absorber than a
radiator, it would spontaneously heat up, I suppose, until the rest of
the universe was at absolute zero.  No thanks!

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (11/22/84)

What I've always wondered is why the closer to the equator people live, the
darker their skin tends to be. It seems that in the interests of maintainting
a reasonable body temperature, it should be just the opposite.

	Wayne

donn@utah-gr.UUCP (Donn Seeley) (11/26/84)

(None of this discussion has really been a good topic for net.cooks --
let's move it to net.misc or net.flame.  Actually, net.flame has a nice
ring to it when discussing properties of heat absorption and
radiation...)

From faustus@ucbcad.UUCP:

	What I've always wondered is why the closer to the equator
	people live, the darker their skin tends to be. It seems that
	in the interests of maintainting a reasonable body temperature,
	it should be just the opposite.

		Wayne

Actually it's the skin shading of Caucasians that's more interesting.
(My apologies to speakers of Kartvelian languages -- 'Caucasians' here
refers to pale Europeans in general.)  The skins of Caucasians darken
upon exposure to sunlight, but this seems to mean that more radiation
is absorbed, not less.  This is often referred to as 'tanning',
although for me 'tanning' your skin means peeling it off, immersing it
in smelly and corrosive liquids, then nailing it to a wall.  Isn't this
darkening exactly the wrong way to go about maintaining body
temperature?

The 'body temperature' question is a 'red herring'; dark skin absorbs
radiation in order to prevent it from penetrating into layers beneath
the epidermis and causing damage (sunburn).  'White' skin is really
transparent skin.  People in sunnier climes are in more danger from
radiation, so they tend to have darker skin.  Of course skin shading
also has a lot to do with where your ancestors came from, since
populations don't change skin shade overnight...  (Unless they're
Caucasian chameleons!)

It's always been amazing to me that the body's defense against
radiation can be used to rationalize seating arrangements on a bus,
or even more foolish things.

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@utah-cs.arpa
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    decvax!utah-cs!donn

eac@druor.UUCP (CveticEA) (11/26/84)

It is my understanding that the darker the skin, the better it deals
with harmful radiaion, not heat.  Skin, will therefore
darken (tan) in an attempt to protect itself from the sun's (ultraviolet?)
radiation.  We sweat to take care of the heat problem.

Betsy Cvetic

P.S.--Haven't we strayed a bit far from net.cooks?

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (11/26/84)

People in sunnier climates tend to get more ultraviolet exposure.
They therefore have developed darker skins since melanin (which
makes the skin darker or tanner) is the major defense against
UV that the skin has.

This sounds Lysenko-ist, but you can make a straight evolutionary
argument by noting that people with darker skin are less likely
to get skin cancer.

--
		What is the sound of one hand, clapping?
		Toop, toop, toop.

				Charlie Martin
				(...mcnc!duke!crm)

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (11/26/84)

> What I've always wondered is why the closer to the equator people live, the
> darker their skin tends to be. It seems that in the interests of maintainting
> a reasonable body temperature, it should be just the opposite.
>
> 	Wayne

I had heard that this has to do with the intensity of the sunlight in the
area being discussed.  Dark(er)-skinned people have more UV-absorbing compounds
in their skins which helps guard against skin damage/sunburn.  This would seem
to tally with the above observation.

scw@cepu.UUCP (Stephen C. Woods) (11/26/84)

In article <2804@ucbcad.UUCP> faustus@ucbcad.UUCP writes:
>What I've always wondered is why the closer to the equator people live, the
>darker their skin tends to be. It seems that in the interests of maintainting
>a reasonable body temperature, it should be just the opposite.

Actually it's to help regulate the amount of vitamin D produced (the human body
produces vitamin D with the help of sunlight). Peoples whose diet includes large
amounts of vitamin D (Eskimos, Lapps, and some Northern Canadian Indian tribes)
also have relativly large amounts of menalin in their skins in spite of living
at high latitudes.
--
Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
uucp:	{ {ihnp4, uiucdcs}!bradley, hao, trwrb}!cepu!scw

agz@pucc-k (Andrew Banta) (11/27/84)

> What I've always wondered is why the closer to the equator people live, the
> darker their skin tends to be. It seems that in the interests of maintainting
> a reasonable body temperature, it should be just the opposite.
> 	Wayne

In the interests of protecting the skin from burning, this is correct

Andy Banta			{decvax!allegra!ihnp4}!pur-ee!pucc-k!agz
Dept. of Mental Instability, Purdue University --- "I'm OK, You're a CS Major"

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (11/28/84)

> People in sunnier climates tend to get more ultraviolet exposure.
> They therefore have developed darker skins since melanin (which
> makes the skin darker or tanner) is the major defense against
> UV that the skin has.
>
> This sounds Lysenko-ist, but you can make a straight evolutionary
> argument by noting that people with darker skin are less likely
> to get skin cancer.
>
> --
> 		What is the sound of one hand, clapping?
> 		Toop, toop, toop.
>

> 				Charlie Martin
> 				(...mcnc!duke!crm)

It is beyond me that this person, along with the eight or nine others that
posted replies, did not notice the sarcasm in Wayne's article.  I myself
have had this info about melanin drilled into my head since fourth grade.

Ok, who's going to give an explanation for this one:

Where do babies come from?
-----
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"  " -Charlie Chaplin, for IBM

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (11/28/84)

I haven't made an extensive survey on this, but I remember the
first time a black friend of mine came back from the ocean
after vacation with a) a sunburn and b) tan lines and wonder if
there is all that much difference other than starting state...
--

jfw@mit-eddie.UUCP (John Woods) (11/29/84)

>> What I've always wondered is why the closer to the equator people live, the
>> darker their skin tends to be. It seems that in the interests of maintainting
>> a reasonable body temperature, it should be just the opposite.
>>
>> 	Wayne
>
>I had heard that this has to do with the intensity of the sunlight in the
>area being discussed.  Dark(er)-skinned people have more UV-absorbing compounds
>in their skins which helps guard against skin damage/sunburn.  This would seem
>to tally with the above observation.

It's true.  Relatively few people achieve thermodynamic equilibrium with the
sun.  Good thing, too.
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems
decvax!frog!john, mit-eddie!jfw, JFW%mit-ccc@MIT-XX

When your puppy goes off in another room,
is it because of the explosive charge?

eac@druor.UUCP (CveticEA) (11/30/84)

I thing its high time we move this discussion out of net.cooks.

Thank you.

Betsy Cvetic

john@dicomed.UUCP (John S. Salmi) (12/03/84)

In article <> eac@druor.UUCP (CveticEA) writes:
>I thing its high time we move this discussion out of net.cooks.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Betsy Cvetic

It's about time someone brings this up!
--

  John Salmi - "the software guy"
  DICOMED Corporation

  {ihnp4,mgnetp,uwvax}!dicomed!jss

edelson@mhuxi.UUCP (edelson) (12/03/84)

The other side of the question is why peoples in northern climes should
tend to fair skin and light hair.  If the radiation argument were true,
one would expect that a dark skin would help one to keep warm in cold climate.
The reason for the fair skin is to allow the maximum production of vitamin D
with tha available sunlight.
Vitamin D insufficiency leads to ricketts, a bone disorder which affects,
among other things, the ability of a woman to bear children.
So evolution triumphs again.

stern@inmet.UUCP (12/07/84)

I have a question for the black-pot crowd:

	What does any of this have to do with cooking?

--Hal Stern,
  hungry for food, not physics lectures