[comp.graphics] Math and graphics

spl@duck.ncsc.org (Steve Lamont) (03/18/90)

In article <Mar.18.06.54.12.1990.8503@athos.rutgers.edu> webber@athos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) writes:
>Computer Graphics is no newer than any other portion of Computer Science.
>Indeed, it ties more closely with the main tradition in Math and Natural
>Philosophy than anything else in Computer Science except perhaps Numerical
>Analysis (which has sometimes been called: Computer Graphics Without Pictures).

I recall once hearing James Kajiya (smartest of all graphics smart-folk IMHO)
say that computer graphics is merely mathematical archeology.

There may have been new mathematical techniques developed in graphics, but
I've yet to see one that is truly revolutionary.

							spl (the p stands for
							punting pixels in the
							park)
--
Steve Lamont, sciViGuy	(919) 248-1120		EMail:	spl@ncsc.org
NCSC, Box 12732, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709