[comp.graphics] Need Hi-Res Digital Map Data

bobowicz@hal.CSS.GOV (Tom Bobowicz) (03/12/90)

	I'm looking for a good high resolution map database of the
world.  I will be generating projections on a 19 inch display that
could cover an area less than 100 km across.  The majority of the
displays will use previously generated and saved raster images, so
the time it takes to generate the original map display is not an
issue.

Following is a list of data sources that I am aware of and am
investigating.  Are there other data sources that I should check
into?  Please E-Mail me any info you have.  If there is a significant
amount of additional information I will summarize and repost.

1.)	The Austin Code Works
	11100 Leafwood Lane
	Austin, TX 78750-3409

	100,000 lat/lon points of geographical and political boundaries
	for about $30.

2.)	Defense Mapping Agency
	Bld. 56
	U.S. Naval Observatory
	Washington, D.C. 20305

	All kinds of stuff, some of it classified.  Long lead time to get
	data, 2 - 3 months.

3.)	National Cartographic Information Center
	U.S. Geological Survey
	507 National Center
	Reston, VA 22092

	Mostly U.S. / North America stuff.

4.)	National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
	Rockville, Md.

	Land and Sea maps.

5.)	National Technicl Information Service
	U.S. Dept. of Commerce
	5285 Port Royal Road
	Springfield, Va 22161

	WDB II (World Database/Data Bank) II containing about 6 million
	points describing costlines, political boundaries, rivers, lakes,
	etc.  Available on magnetic tape for $660.

Thanks in advance.
Tom Bobowicz                           bobowicz@hal.CSS.GOV

--
  +  Tom Bobowicz                +  INTERNET:  bobowicz@hal.CSS.GOV  +
  +  ENSCO Inc.                  +     VOICE:  407-254-4122          +

art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) (03/16/90)

In article <415@hal.CSS.GOV> bobowicz@hal.CSS.GOV (Tom Bobowicz) writes:

>5.)	National Technicl Information Service
>
>	WDB II (World Database/Data Bank) II containing about 6 million
>	points describing costlines, political boundaries, rivers, lakes,
>	etc.  Available on magnetic tape for $660.

Since there has been many requests for map databases and this
particular database seems to be the most comprehensive, but expensive,
how about we all get together and pool our $'s to get a copy and put
it on a FTP & UUCP site or other easy distribution method?  I'm assuming
once we have a copy we can re-distribute it.  Someone please correct me
if I'm wrong.

If 10 people get together, the cost is $66 each. For 50 people, the
cost is $13.20 each etc.  So how about it people, want to make a map
database CO-OP?

For the time being, I would be glad to act as floppy (IBM 1.2M 5.25"
and Mac 3.5") and 9 track tape (1600/6250 BPI) distributer.  Distribution
cost would be a function of me supplying the media/postage vs. the
requester supplying media/postage.  Assuming I can get enough space on
our uucp machine, I might be able to setup an anonymous uucp
connection (sorry no ftp).

If someone has already set this up for anonymous uucp, never mind.
BTW - let me know where it is so I can get a copy.

Art Dederick
(714)966-3618
{oliveb,hplabs,spsd}!felix!art

pete@Octopus.COM (Pete Holzmann) (03/19/90)

In article <141623@felix.UUCP> art@felix.UUCP (Art Dederick) writes:
>In article <415@hal.CSS.GOV> bobowicz@hal.CSS.GOV (Tom Bobowicz) writes:
>>
>>5.)	National Technicl Information Service
>>
>>	WDB II (World Database/Data Bank) II containing about 6 million
>>	points describing costlines, political boundaries, rivers, lakes,
>>	etc.  Available on magnetic tape for $660.
>
>Since there has been many requests for map databases and this
>particular database seems to be the most comprehensive, but expensive,
>how about we all get together and pool our $'s to get a copy and put
>it on a FTP & UUCP site or other easy distribution method?  I'm assuming
>once we have a copy we can re-distribute it.  Someone please correct me
>if I'm wrong.

From my past experience as organizer of the group that made the Hershey
Fonts available to the Net...

NTIS does not want us redistributing 'their data'. I put this in quotes
because they have a peculiar definition of this: all they care about is
data formatted the way they have it. If the data is reformatted, then
nobody will mistake it as a copy of NTIS data. NTIS will therefor not
feel obliged to handle support requests in any way; this is really what
they want to avoid.

For the Hershey fonts, we took the coordinates from them (stored as
ASCII numbers e.g. "0064,0012") and turned them into biased ASCII characters
(i.e. new char = 'R' + n, I think). This cut the database size down by
a factor of 5 or so, even before compressing and uuencoding.

So, if somebody already has WDBII, and has reformatted the data in some
way (hopefully useful!), there is no problem with passing it out to the
Net. I suppose somebody should check to see whether WDBII is restricted
in some way from international distribution. I doubt it, as literally
anybody can purchase NTIS information.

Pete

--
Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises   |(if you're a techie Christian & are
19611 La Mar Ct., Cupertino, CA 95014 |interested in helping w/ the Great