[comp.graphics] HDTV

searcy@bgsu-stu.UUCP (todd Searcy) (02/23/90)

 Have anyone heard about a study put out by the M.I.T. Media Lab
concerning people perception of HDTV?  The study stated that relatively
speaking, people can not tell the difference between HDTV and NTSC.
Come o, be for real!  I am doing a paper on onesde and perception
of the quaility of the image on television sets.  I know there have been
many studies looking at theeffects of the VDT(computer workstation) and
attitudes towards work.  I`m interested in the home television receiver
If you know of any research on this topic or anything that might be
closely related could you pass it on?  Thanks.
I have seen HDTV and I`ve seen NTSC.  Believe me there is a big difference.
Or is there? :).
Or is there? :)    Thanks again. Searcy@barney.bgsu.edu

dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) (02/27/90)

In article <5461@bgsu-stu.UUCP> searcy@bgsu-stu.UUCP (todd Searcy) writes:

> Have anyone heard about a study put out by the M.I.T. Media Lab
>concerning people perception of HDTV?  The study stated that relatively
>speaking, people can not tell the difference between HDTV and NTSC.

>I have seen HDTV and I`ve seen NTSC.  Believe me there is a big difference.
>Or is there? :).
>Or is there? :)    Thanks again. Searcy@barney.bgsu.edu

There is a difference between NTSC and HDTV - if you sit close enough
to the screen.

NTSC television is intended to be viewed from a distance of about 10
times the picture height.  At this distance, one scanline pair is about
1.5 arc minute high as seen from the viewer's eye - not bad,
considering that the eye's resolution limit is around 1 arc minute.
The horizontal luminance resolution is somewhat worse than this, and
horizontal colour resolution again worse.  Still, an off-the-air NTSC
signal (or one from a video disc) displayed on a good NTSC monitor will
look pretty close to sharp when viewed from 10 times the picture
height.  At that distance, a HDTV picture will appear wider, but not
much sharper.

However, HDTV is intended to allow you to view from about 3 times the
picture height.  At that distance, the resolution difference between
HDTV and NTSC will be readily visible.  (HDTV has only about twice the
resolution of NTSC, so I can see where moving up to 5 times picture
height is justified, but not 3 times).

To really compare NTSC and HDTV side-by-side, you need to use an HDTV
screen that is 2-3 times as large as the NTSC one, or place the HDTV
screen a factor of 2 or 3 closer to the audience.  You want to
demonstrate how much larger an HDTV image can be and still retain
acceptable sharpness, not that HDTV looks sharper at "normal" viewing
distances.

I've seen a NTSC vs. HDTV demo put on by the CBC that suffered from
just this flaw.  Both CRT's were located in the same plane, so the
viewing distance was the same for both.  The NTSC image was actually
slightly larger than the HDTV one, and most of the audience was far
enough away from the screens that the resolution difference was not
very significant.  In addition, the NTSC set was brighter than the HDTV
one.  Thus, it's not too surprising that I preferred the NTSC image
half the time or more - not what the demo was intended to demonstrate,
I'm sure.

	Dave Martindale

kassover@control.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb26.215623.9194@imax.com> dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) writes:
>In article <5461@bgsu-stu.UUCP> searcy@bgsu-stu.UUCP (todd Searcy) writes:
>
>There is a difference between NTSC and HDTV - if you sit close enough
>to the screen.

I, for one, am not surprised.  Long ago, in a galaxy far away, I
was doing my Master's work in a project that involved IBM 3277
Graphics Attachments.  They came in a variety of configurations,
but we had the 14 inch screens and the 19 inch screens.  The 19
inchers were wonderful, since what we mostly were dealing with
were stroke graphics back then.  You could turn out the lights
and kick back and get your work done without hunching, etc...

But the poor guys who had to work with projects that involved
what we now call bitmap images went nuts, since the 19 inch
screen had the same number of pixels  (oops, it's IBM, therefore
pels 8-) ) as the 14 inch.  In order for these images to lose
their perceived graininess, one had to move so far back that the
subtended angle of the 19" screen was LESS than that of the 14"
screen.

I also notice, as I walk past rows upon rows of televisions in
department stores that when I get far enough away from (most of)
the big screen jobs to be comfortable watching them, the images
are significantly crummier than comfortable viewing distance on
smaller, "standard" CRT displays.

The lesson I learned is that if you want to go significantly bigger, you have
to provide both more and smaller pixels to retain perceive image
quality.  There's also a thresholding effect wrt brightness and contrast.

I wonder if people in the pretty pictures graphics industry would
benefit from a couple of good technical photography courses,
where they go into the (mathematical) relationships between focal
length, frame size, intended viewing distance, aspect ratios, etc.

katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City) (03/01/90)

 <2240@alfred.Teknowledge.COM>tbarnes@teknowledge.com (Terry A Barnes)
> Is this true - I've read articles with varying ideal measures of how
> far the eye should be from the screen - 5 times the diagonal, 8 times
> the height (which is almost the same thing), 6 times the diagonal, etc.
> Does anyone have a definitive answer?
>
> What are the effects of closer viewing - eye strain, visible scan lines,
> what? I'm tempted to get a 30+ inch monitor when I upgrade, but what if
> the couch is only 10 feet from the screen - would I be sorry I got a
> "too big" screen?

  I don't have a definitive answer but I do have considerable personal
experience with big TV's, as I live with a 6' x 8' Sony projector that I
view from a distance of 12'. The vertical scan lines can be visible but
are relatively unimportant compared to convergence, focus, linear response
and chroma crawl. My opinion is that most of the eye strain and stress
associated with normal TV viewing is due to the fact that you are looking
directly at a light source. Projectors cast light on a screen and are no
more stress causing than any film image on the same screen.  Projectors
can be sharper than any normal crt because of the lack of a shadow mask
and the resulting RGB "triplets", purity problems and horizontal resolution
limits. I find the 12" monitors on my graphics system to be more stressful
in spite of the far higher resolution (and not just because they are at
work :-)) In short, I don't believe that a TV can be "too big" and I want
Hi-Definition very badly. These "experts" must be people who sit in the
back row of theaters.

                                  Chris Williams
                                  katefans@world.std.com

pdy@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (P. D. Yapa) (03/16/90)

Last summer I was visted Japan.   I went to Sony building in
Ginza, Tokyo to just to see HDTV.  They have a special room
designated to show HDTV movies about every 2 hours.
I should say the picture quality was exceptional.  You can't even
compare with NTSC / PAL /SECAM systems.  I couldn't see any lines
at all on a screen which was roughly 6 ft wide (guess).
I went near the screen ( 6 inches from the screen).  I still
couldn't see any lines.
you got to see to believe how good HDTV is.

mtv@milton.acs.washington.edu (David Schanen) (03/16/90)

    For backwards compatability, why don't we just double the scan lines?

    I don't know how the transmitters work but if we could use the existing
signal as part of the new signal, that would eliminate alot of expense.

	-Dave

wave@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael B. Johnson) (03/17/90)

(P. D. Yapa) writes:

>>I should say the picture quality was exceptional.
>>you got to see to believe how good HDTV is.

I have to disagree.  I have a 40" HDTV monitor and 1/2" Hi-Vision deck, and the
image quality is nice, but I wouldn't say it would knock anybody's socks off.
To me the most striking thing is the aspect ratio, which beats the hell out
of NTSC, at least.  Don't get me wrong, I'd rather record my animations on
Hi-Vision than BetaCam, but it's not as good as it could (or should) be.

Just my two cents.

--
-->  Michael B. Johnson
-->  MIT Media Lab      --  Computer Graphics & Animation Group

mtv@milton.acs.washington.edu (David Schanen) writes:

>    For backwards compatability, why don't we just double the scan lines?

>    I don't know how the transmitters work but if we could use the existing
>signal as part of the new signal, that would eliminate alot of expense.

>	-Dave

I think there has been some argument for this, but one problem is that
while NTSC (US standard) is 525 lines (1150 doubled for HDTV) is not the
same as PAL (European) which is 620 (somewhere around there). so doubling
that would be 1240 lines.

It would be a lot better if the world could agree to go to ONE standard
HDTV rather than two (NTSC and PAL). So which do you support? PAL is used
in more places than NTSC is.

One compromise was to take a common multiple of both systems and use that.
I have no idea where it stands now. But I hope they go with square pixels
because I have a feeling that HDTV will become the new computer graphics
standard also.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/20/90)

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

> But I hope they go with square pixels
>because I have a feeling that HDTV will become the new computer graphics
>standard also.

I doubt that. It would require them to define a screen width and height
and a dot frequency IN ADDITION TO all the other parameters they are already
arguing over.

Computer graphics are hard to broadcast via radio because of transmission
bandwidth restrictions that force you to trade between quality and cost in a
major way.

The standard should be designed with graphics in mind but don't expect them
to broadcast 24 bit megapixel to the mass public any time soon. Wait until
we have fiber optic cable everywhere.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

billd@fps.com (Bill Davidson) (03/21/90)

In article <1990Mar20.120112.4942@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>I doubt that. It would require them to define a screen width and height
>and a dot frequency IN ADDITION TO all the other parameters they are already
>arguing over.

Yep.  Wouldn't it be great?  You could actually have expectations for
the edge of the picture.  Heck, you might even get to see the whole
image!  What a novel idea.  The edges of movies could actually be
seen!  The width and height don't need to be defined but their ratio to
each other does.  This isn't even just a computer graphics issue.  One
of the things that really pisses me off about current consumer
televisions is they don't show the entire signal.  They cut off the
top, bottom and sides a bit.  HDTV should define the number of pixels
that are shown (all of them dammit!).  They should be square and the
same number should be shown on all monitors.  Don't give me any crybaby
excuses that it's hard to do.  It needs to be done.  The bandwidth
problem is real but we can probably live with less channels and we
don't really need digital rgb.  If we can just do color a lot better
than NTSC I'll be happy.  I don't care if HDTV's are expensive at
first.  We real vidiots will pay for it.  As it becomes more commonly
available, it will get cheaper.

--Bill

martys@mchale.ism.isc.com (Marty Stewart) (03/21/90)

I am writing a 20-page research paper for school on HDTV and its influences on
the world market.  I am looking for articles, books that will give me some
insight into the Japanese's role with HDTV and where they want to market it,
the European Community's standard of HDTV and if they plan on letting other
countries into their market and the U.S.'s late start into the HDTV industry.

I know that the U.S. is further behind in the HDTV technology and that it
is of concern to the Defense Dept. as well as the television industry.   I
would like to fit into my paper each nation's view (first world, second
world and third world countries) on where HDTV is going and whether they want
to be in on it, etc.

Any leads on articles would be appreciated.  Send mail to me.  Thanks.
	martys@ism.isc.com

peter@celia.UUCP (Peter Farson) (03/21/90)

In article <1902@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> wave@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael B. Johnson) writes:
>(P. D. Yapa) writes:
>I have to disagree.  I have a 40" HDTV monitor and 1/2" Hi-Vision deck, and the
>image quality is nice, but I wouldn't say it would knock anybody's socks off.

I've seen a few HDTV video displays, and the one thing I find disappointing
about them is that they are interlaced.  Interlacing adds a buzzy quality that
prevents a still image from looking truly still, as it does on a hires
non-interlaced monitor.

--
  The flesh of animals who feed            | Peter Farson - Rhythm & Hues, Inc.
 excursively is allowed to have            | celia!peter@usc.edu