[comp.graphics] Animation Package

mzaik@baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu ( ) (03/21/90)

A friend of mine is interested in developing cartoon animation.  He
wants to know what is the most economical setup of a computer
animation system.  What hardware, software is necessary?

dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Newton the Late) (03/21/90)

In article <4562@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> mzaik@baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu ( ) writes:
>A friend of mine is interested in developing cartoon animation.  He
>wants to know what is the most economical setup of a computer
>animation system.  What hardware, software is necessary?

   Well, at the risk of starting more wars, I'll say the best deal currently
is easily the Amiga system.  The hardware has stopped being totally flakey
now, software is available for this purpose rather cheaply, and they're
easy to find.
   Std. Disclaimer:  I'm not associated with CBM.  Heck, I don't even own
an Amiga, but from my own research, I'd be hard pressed to find a better
deal for this purpose.  As long as the work does not demand _really_ high
resolution, it's the way to go.  IMHO of course.

--
David L. Newton                 |           uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton
(414) 524-7343 (work)           |              dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu

murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) (03/22/90)

In article <4562@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> mzaik@baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu ( ) writes:
>A friend of mine is interested in developing cartoon animation.  He
>wants to know what is the most economical setup of a computer
>animation system.  What hardware, software is necessary?

Have your friend check out an Amiga 2500/30.  Some software that is pertinent
to animation are the various drawing programs such as DigiPaint, DPaintIII,
PhotonPaint.  DPaint III allows animated brushes, thus animation is a cinch.
Other animation packages of interest would be Sculpt-Animate 4D, Aegis'
Animator ??, MicroIllusion's Cell Animator and Video transport controller, and
a new entry into the market is the Animation Studio by Disney Software.
The Cell Animator was worked on by a woman named Heidi Turnipseed, former
animator for Disney and Don Bluth.  Her credits include work on Secret of
NIMH, and An American Tail.  She recently did some work for Disney for
Mickey's 50th birthday.  The pencil testing was done entirely with an
Amiga and an 8mm video controlled by the Amiga.

What can I say, the Amiga is a good choice for animation at a low price.

--
 Bill Murphy                          murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Enjoying my Amiga 2000, but holding out for a real computer: The Amiga 3000!!