[comp.graphics] more information on digital maps

hmueller@wfsc4.tamu.edu (Hal Mueller) (03/22/90)

I've followed up on some of the information that was posted recently
regarding digital maps.  Here's what I've learned from ESIC (nee NCIC):

There are two types of products available, DEM (digital elevation model)
and DLG (digital line graph).  DEM files are raster based elevations.
DLG files are vector based representation of hydrology, transportation,
political boundaries, and sometimes other information.

DEM is available from EROS Data Center at 1:250 000 scale for the
entire US.  DLG is available from them at 1:2 000 000 scale for the
entire US.

For some areas of the country finer resolution data is available.  DLG
exists at 1:100 000 scale.  DLG and DEM exist at 1:24 000 scale (a 7.5'
quad map).

ORDERING:
The coarse DEM/DLG data (250K and 2000K) is a complete data set.  It is
handled by EROS data center.  Price is $40 for 1 file, sliding higher
for 2-4 files; for 5 or more files prices is $90 plus $7/file.  A file
is 1 layer (hydro, trans, boundaries) for 1 section of the country.
There are 21 sections in the 2000K DLG data.

The finer resolution stuff is not a complete data set.  It is handled
by 4 regional ESIC offices; I called EROS Data Center to find out
the name and number of the regional office that handled my particular
area.  The regional office has a listing of what's available.  Prices
seem to be the same as for the coarse data, but of course you'd need
more files for the entire country.

I'm told (by a source at the Texas Water Commission) that if your
particular area of interest has not yet been digitized and is not
on the schedule, you can get it added to the schedule if you're willing
to share the digitizing cost.

A colleague told me that turnaround time for orders ranges from
2 weeks to 3 months.

--
Hal Mueller             hmueller@cssun.tamu.edu          n270ca@tamunix (Bitnet)
Graduate Student, Department of Computer Science

littauer@uts.amdahl.com (Tom Littauer) (03/22/90)

In article <4636@helios.TAMU.EDU> hmueller@wfsc4.tamu.edu (Hal Mueller) writes:

>For some areas of the country finer resolution data is available.  DLG
>exists at 1:100 000 scale.  DLG and DEM exist at 1:24 000 scale (a 7.5'
>quad map).

DLG for hydro and transportation exists at 1:100K for almost all of the
country (a few small holes). It costs ~$60K and occupies ~20GB of disk.
We based our UniForum demo on this data, so I know :-) It was fun to have
some guy walk up and say OK, show me Toad Suck Arkansas and be able to
pull up a map of it and the neighborring smaller town, Toad Suck Ferry.

>The finer resolution stuff is not a complete data set.  It is handled
>by 4 regional ESIC offices; I called EROS Data Center to find out
>the name and number of the regional office that handled my particular
>area.  The regional office has a listing of what's available.  Prices
>seem to be the same as for the coarse data, but of course you'd need
>more files for the entire country.

The USGS is quite helpful at figuring out what files you need to cover
the area you're interested in, and can coordinate in the case of bizaare
requirement like ours was (you want *WHAT*?). You're quite right in saying
that decoding the data and figuring out which file it's in is "interesting".

Have fun,
Tom Littauer
--
UUCP:  littauer@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ames,uunet}!amdahl!littauer

I'll tell you when I'm giving you the party line. The rest of the time
it's my very own ravings (accept no substitutes).

hmueller@wfsc1.tamu.edu (Hal Mueller) (03/22/90)

In article <a4AH028A94vK01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> littauer@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tom Littauer) writes:

>DLG for hydro and transportation exists at 1:100K for almost all of the
>country (a few small holes). It costs ~$60K and occupies ~20GB of disk.
>We based our UniForum demo on this data, so I know :-) It was fun to have
>some guy walk up and say OK, show me Toad Suck Arkansas and be able to
>pull up a map of it and the neighborring smaller town, Toad Suck Ferry.

What's your opinion of the quality of data in 1:100K, vice 1:24K?  For
our application we can get 1:100K nearly free, but if we want 1:24K
we'll have to digitize ourselves (no money to pay USGS, and the quads
we want aren't available yet).  Project is a wildlife/habitat
simulation; map is just a base map, to which we'll add vegetation
types and other domain-dependent stuff.

--

littauer@uts.amdahl.com (Tom Littauer) (03/23/90)

In article <4640@helios.TAMU.EDU> hmueller@wfsc1.tamu.edu (Hal Mueller) writes:

>What's your opinion of the quality of data in 1:100K, vice 1:24K?

How long is a piece of string? :-)

>                                Project is a wildlife/habitat
>simulation; map is just a base map, to which we'll add vegetation
>types and other domain-dependent stuff.

I'm afraid this doesn't tell me enough about the project to advise you.
If you want terrain, DLG doesn't have any. If you're looking to locate
your domains by using known road and stream features as benchmarks you
can easily get to within small tens of feet - the USGS descriptions will
tell you exactly. I know it's easy to small tens because of all the folks
who used our demo to get the LatLon of Granny's chair on the porch :-)
or their bedrooms.

If you have further questions, send me email or call -  although I suspect
the rest of the gang would be interested in a summary of the project,
detailed discussion would probably get old.

>Hal Mueller             hmueller@cssun.tamu.edu          n270ca@tamunix (Bitnet)
>Graduate Student, Department of Computer Science
>Research Assistant, Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Science
>Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77843

Hmmm, Aggies... I'm the guy who helped you guys install our mainframe UNIX,
UTS, back in '84.