[net.cooks] EGGNOG question

carolyn@uottawa.UUCP (Carolyn Pullman) (12/09/84)

< Subject: Re: The World's Greatest EGGNOG
< This recipe calls for 'cream' and 'heavy cream', which raises a question
< I've had for awhile: what's the difference?  When I go to the grocery
< store, I seem 3.8% milk, half-and-half, and whipping cream.  How do these
< correlate?
< Moira Mallison
< tektronix!moiram

     The problem with "heavy cream" is that it is almost impossible to buy
in North America as a general. Now in the Loblaw's Superstore I've bought
it.  It's called Devohey or double cream.  That one came in a small
pint size bottle near the generic cream I think I've also seen it in
cans.
     It's from England. There you can get it quite easily. Devon is the
south-west corner of England.
     It's even thicker than whipping cream although not quite as thick as
say sour cream. You haven't lived until ye had heavy cream on your
dessert.