[comp.graphics] HPGL to PostScript

13501SGT@MSU.BITNET (Scott Thomas) (01/27/88)

I need an HPGL to Postscript conversion program. I believe there is one
out in the Public Domain but I have been having trouble tracking one down.
-------

Scott G. Thomas                      Bitnet: 13501sgt@msu
Computer Laboratory                Internet: Thomassg@clvax1.cl.msu.edu
Room 400e Computer Center
Michigan State University
East Lansing, Michigan 48824-1042

ccpaul@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu (Paul W. Grant) (11/11/88)

I would like to find a program that converts HPGL to Postscript
preferably written in Postscript. It could be public domain or
otherwise.  Thank you.

	Paul Grant
	Computing Services
	University of California
	Davis, California 95616
	(916)-752-8266
	pwgrant@ucdavis.edu

andrea@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Andrea K. Frankel) (11/12/88)

In article <3268@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ccpaul@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu (Paul W. Grant) writes:
>I would like to find a program that converts HPGL to Postscript
>preferably written in Postscript. It could be public domain or
>otherwise.  Thank you.

I don't know of one offhand, but PageMaker 3.0 allows one to import
HP-GL files; you can then print your document on anything you've
got a Windows driver for.

(I have no connection with Aldus, just rummaging around on my PC
to see what's there.)

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett-Packard (San Diego Division) (619) 592-4664
                "...I brought you a paddle for your favorite canoe."
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
Internet : andrea%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com (or @nosc.mil, @ucsd.edu)
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive, San Diego CA 92127-1899 USA

james@cisunx.UUCP (Doug E James) (11/15/88)

	Does anyone know of any hpgl to postscript converters.  We
currently are running autocad on a Sun 3/260.  We need to plot our
files, and we can't seem to be able to.  The plotter runs the hpgl
format, but doesn't seem to be able to plot the files.  The Sun thinks
that the plotter is smarter than it is.  If we could convert it to
Postscript then we could print it on the laser printer..

	Please send me mail if you know, or have any programs that could
either convert this hpgl to postscript or any comments on why the
problem exits.

	Thanks for your time...
		Douglas James
		University of Pittsburgh
		Advanced Graphics Lab.

federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) (11/18/88)

  In the last months I've seen a couple of requests for an HPGL to
PostScript converter. I wrote such a program half a year ago, and I know
of other implementations of the same idea. I wrote it because I didn't
like the way the other programs handled pen thickness (which changed
according to scaling). I never got around to write any docs, however,
and the program can handle all of HPGL except for alpha commands (yes,
it does handle filled polygons).

  I tried to contact each requester a couple of times, but it always
bounced back, so I'm trying this. If you are interested, please send
mail to the address below (if possible suggesting a working back path),
I'll answer as quickly as I can.

--
		Federico Heinz                      "In Dubio Pro Libido"
From USA:              ...!pyramid!\	        	| Beusselstr. 21

richard@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Richard Foulk) (11/19/88)

} 	Does anyone know of any hpgl to postscript converters.

There was a fairly good one posted to the net a while ago.  It
should be in the archives somewhere.

Richard Foulk
richard@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) (11/25/88)

  I received so many requests for my converter, that I decided to post
it in comp.sources.unix (although it's not Unix-specific, I didn't find
a better place for it). Allow for some moderation delay, and yuo should
get it. The program is public domain, under the same license conditions
as the GNU software.
  Enjoy it

--
		Federico Heinz                      "In Dubio Pro Libido"
From USA:              ...!pyramid!\	        	| Beusselstr. 21

cyrus@pprg.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) (04/10/90)

Ok guys, this very question was asked by someone else a couple of weeks
ago and he DIDN'T get ONE postive response so I will try asking AGAIN.

I need an HPGL to PostScript converter that supports ALL of HPGL and not
just a subset.  I have grabbed the hpgl2ps from the archives, but it
only supports a subset of HPGL.

Does anyone know of a COMPLETE implementation?

Thanks in advance.  I will post a summary, assuming I get any responses.

---
W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806		e-mail: cyrus@pprg.unm.edu
University of New Mexico
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Parallel Processing Research Group
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131