[comp.graphics] Photographic Databases

julio@lid.mitre.org (Julio Barros) (03/20/90)

	We are looking for information on photographic databases.  A
system is needed that will input photos (color or black and white) and
store them in a database along with user supplied information.  These
photos can then be retrieved using boolean logic on these fields.  These
photos have to then be printed out at near original quality. We are
looking to store 100,000 photos or more in this database.  We are not
locked into any specific machine or operating system, but do have
preferences towards PS/2 and OS/2.  Any information on a system or
peripherals would be extremely helpful.  Thanks.

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (03/20/90)

In article <103384@linus.UUCP> julio@lid.mitre.org.UUCP (Julio Barros) writes:

>	We are looking for information on photographic databases.  A
>system is needed that will input photos (color or black and white) and
>store them in a database along with user supplied information.  These
>photos can then be retrieved using boolean logic on these fields.  These
>photos have to then be printed out at near original quality. We are
>looking to store 100,000 photos or more in this database.  We are not

I am using SuperBase Professional 3.0 on an Amiga for a both audio and photo-
graphic database.  The number of sound samples and photographic that are
supported by the database is dependent upon the maximum harddisk capacity of
the system.

Both photographs and sound samples are digitized directly into the Amiga.

The system will print to any supported printer.  The output quality depends
on the specific printer.

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 730-8112

mpk9172@ultb.isc.rit.edu (M.P. Kirby) (04/09/90)

>Maybe you can check my arithmetic:
>
>Lets say your photos are 4" x 5", and only black and white. I don't
>think 600 spi and 8 bits per pixel would give you "near original
>quality", but even with that resolution, it would be about 7 megabytes

Why 600 spi?  You would probably want to match the image that your
are storing with whatever your output device might be.  (for example
why store 600spi images if all you can print to is a 300spi printer?)

>Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
>Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)
>3333 Coyote Hill Road; Palo Alto, CA USA 94304

Michael Kirby

mpk9172@ultb.isc.rit.edu

kassover@jupiter.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) (04/12/90)

In article <2720@ultb.isc.rit.edu> mpk9172@ultb.isc.rit.edu (M.P. Kirby) writes:
>Why 600 spi?  You would probably want to match the image that your
>are storing with whatever your output device might be.  (for example
>why store 600spi images if all you can print to is a 300spi printer?)

Today.  Tomorrow or next week you might find a great deal on a
film recorder, or wallsized output device.

It seems like 600 or 1000 or so spi is a reasonable tradeoff
between storage space and output reproduction.  But then, *I'm*
not the one who has to find the magnetic real estate.  Or optical
disks.  Or whatever.

David Kassover
kassover@ra.crd.ge.com
kassover@crd.ge.com