[net.cooks] Different Kinds of Cream

eac@druor.UUCP (CveticEA) (12/10/84)

half and half = light cream
whipping cream = heavy cream

One note--whipping cream is hardly ever 100% pure cream.  It has gelatin and/or
other additives to improve whipping.

Unless the cream is to be whipped, I use half and half if the recipe just
says "cream".  Sometimes, if I am worried about calories, I even use milk
but the flavor and consistency won't be the same.

Betsy Cvetic
ihnp4!druor!eac

marcum@rhino.UUCP (Alan M. Marcum) (12/12/84)

In article <658@druor.UUCP>, Betsy Cvetic writes:

>One note--whipping cream is hardly ever 100% pure cream. It has gelatin and/or
>other additives to improve whipping.
>
>Betsy Cvetic
>ihnp4!druor!eac

Whenever I buy cream, I check the ingredients.  If it has
anything besides just cream, I buy another brand.  In the Bay
Area, the Co-Op stores have cream that really is cream.  And,
from my experiences, the gelatins, gums, and other junk that are
added do nothing for whipping.  (For reference, I whip cream by
hand; if I'm doing a lot of whipping, I have this marvelous,
large, many-many-many tined whisk that's just wonderful.)
--
Alan M. Marcum		Fortune Systems, Redwood City, California
...!{ihnp4, ucbvax!amd, hpda, sri-unix, harpo}!fortune!rhino!marcum