[comp.graphics] Full Color Printer

ken@dvpdev.UUCP (Ken Greenebaum) (05/03/90)

In article <29459@cup.portal.com> jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (Jerry D Whitnell) writes:
>lindh@uhasun.hartford.edu jokes...
>|We are looking for a good and cheep (<$3000) color printer for our new
>|Sun SparcStations. The printer must be able to print one page in about
>|1 to 2 minutes. It also must be able to print ALL 16 million colors
>|at the same time on the same page. Well maby not all 16 mill., but
>|256 is not enough. This would be used on a 24 bit color Sun and from
>|a Targa-16 color graphics uint.
>
>Check back in about 5 years, there might be something that meets your specs

Check out DuPont's color printer technology. I think it it a dye diffusion
printer.  It is rather expensive (approx $70k) but it offers 24bit pixels
(8bits for each of R G B) at 300DPI!!!

I have a large print from a trade show.  It apears photographic.
Actualy it reflects light differently in different colored areas.

It uses 4 passes. Red, Green, Blue, and black...

I have product information at work, if anybodies interested.

									-Ken

ps As for the price; I suspect someone will have a reasonably priced unit
within 2 years.
--
ARPA:  men2a!jando!dvpdev!ken@uunet.uu.net
UUCP:  uunet!men2a!jando!dvpdev!ken