[comp.graphics] NTSC to RGB converter wanted

lindh@uhasun.hartford.edu (Andrew Lindh) (05/03/90)

I have a multisync VGA monitor. It can only take RGB (analog or digital)
and Mono TTL video signals. I also have some great video equipment
I would like to take NTSC or SVHS Video and convert it to analog RGB
for display on my VGA monitor. How can I do this? Where can I get the
plans to build a converter? I know how to go from TTL or RGB to NTSC.

If some one has plans, please tell me. If there are other people who
want this I could produce a board from some plans (for a small fee)
--
Andrew Lindh, a student at the University of Hartford -- Computer Science
BITNET:    LINDH@HARTFORD.bitnet       INTERNET: lindh@uhasun.uofh.edu

lawrence@nvanbc.UUCP (Lawrence Harris) (05/03/90)

In article <43@ultrix.uhasun.hartford.edu> lindh@uhasun.hartford.edu (Andrew Lindh) writes:

>I have a multisync VGA monitor. It can only take RGB (analog or digital)
>and Mono TTL video signals. I also have some great video equipment
>I would like to take NTSC or SVHS Video and convert it to analog RGB
>for display on my VGA monitor. How can I do this? Where can I get the
>plans to build a converter? I know how to go from TTL or RGB to NTSC.
>
>If some one has plans, please tell me. If there are other people who
>want this I could produce a board from some plans (for a small fee)
>--
>Andrew Lindh, a student at the University of Hartford -- Computer Science
>BITNET:    LINDH@HARTFORD.bitnet       INTERNET: lindh@uhasun.uofh.edu
>UUCP/Usenet: lindh@evecs.uucp	---- When will I grduate???
>NOTE: All views here are MINE!!! Not the schools or thoes of anyone else!

I purchased just such a device some years ago (and used it for that purpose).
It was made by Electrohome as an add on to their ECM1302 monitor.  The part
number for the converter is (was?) "I 1302-NTSC-2".

Note that I did not find the picture on my 'high resolution' colour monitor
all that much better than what I was getting of the reqular TV, your really
need more scan lines not only a better display.

Here is a brief summary from the instruction card:

"The Electrohome I 1302-NTSC-2 Decoder module is designed to conver an NTSC
color video singal into RGB signals required by the Electrohome ECM 1302
monitor.  It also amplifies a low level audio signal and outputs it to a
speaker enclosed in the module.  The module requires no additional power
source.  User controls include contrast, color and tint for video and
volume for audio."

Note the reference to no additional power assumes it is indeed plugged into
an ECM1302.  If not you must supply your own 7 pin DIN socket with the RGB,
sync, ground and +16 volts DC.

The address I have for Electrohome, several years old is:

809 Wellington Street North, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, N2G 4J6
UUCP:  ubc-cs!van-bc!nvanbc!lawrence
MAIL:  100 13511 Commerce Parkway, Richmond, B.C., Canada, V6V 2J8
PHONE: (604) 273-4900
FAX:   (604) 273-2764