[comp.graphics] Digital CRT Image Recorders 101

keeney@vixvax.mgi.com (Richard Keeney) (05/04/90)

In article <20674@versatc.versatec.COM> ritter@versatc.versatec.COM
(Jack Ritter) writes:

>I am considering buying a digital film
>recorder. I've seen 1 for about $5K.
>It is a desk top model, with 4K lines
>of resolution. By digital I mean: it
>inputs a targa file (or similar image file),
>NOT analog video. It's the Matrix Pro Color.
>(Matrix was recently bought by Agfa).
>At 4K scan lines max, I can print an image sized
>up to 3500 high by 4000 wide pixels. (35mm film).
>
>That's right: 3500 X 4000 X 24 bits!!
>
>(Of course I'll never be able to see the whole
>image an any CRT, but's taht's OK).
>
>This seems like a real deal. Any advice?

Mr. Ritter is obviously not very familiar with digital film recorders (also
sometimes called digital image recorders).  For his benefit and others, I
can supply a brief introduction to these devices in general.

The most common type of digital film recorders used in the computer
graphics industry basically consist of a CRT, some optics, a film
transport, and some control circuitry to run everything.  The CRT is
typically high resolution, monochrome, and flat faced.  Colors are
obtained on the film by imaging three exposures of the CRT through three
colored filters - Red, Green, and Blue.  The scan of the electron beam is
usually much slower than a display CRT for two reasons: To get the
necessary anmount of light to expose the film, and because getting the
digital data into the machine and through the modulation hardware
(typically a digital to analog converter) can only go so fast.

Other technologies exist like laser drum scanners, but I am not as familiar
with these.  Perhaps someone else can fill in here?

Several manufacturers retail a variety of models of CRT based digital image
recorders ranging in price from about $5000 on the low end to over $250,000
on the high end.  The variety of models and the large price range reflect
the large variety of needs of the users of these devices.

A brief list of the major manufacturers of CRT digital image recorders:

AGFA - Matrix,	Orangeburg, NY

Celco, Mahwah, NJ

Dicomed, Minneapolis, MN

Lasergraphics, Irvine, CA

Management Graphics, Minneapolis, MN

Mirus, Santa Clara, CA

Pansophic (who purchased Genigraphics), Liverpool, NY

Presentation Technologies, Sunnyvale, CA

Polaroid, Cambridge, MA

(My apologizies to any manufacturers I may have overlooked in the above list).

The $5000 units with 35mm, 36 exposure cassette load transports, and 2k or
4k maximum addressable resolution (more on that later) are appropriate for
occasional personal or departmental slide production.  They generally can
image a 4096 by 2732 by 8 bits per pixel by 3 pass image in 10 to 20
minutes.

Some units under $10,000 offer interchangeable film transports that allow a
variety of film formats to be used.  Caution is advised here when
considering these units for 4x5 or 8x10 work - the image quality is a
function of much more than just the film size.  The entire system has to be
designed around the quality level generally required for large format work.
One exception to this is when simple color overhead transparancies are to
be produced - here, image quailty is not as important since the projector
is going to be pretty poor anyways.

Most units in $15,000 to $20,000 and up range offer interchangeable film
transports and can produce reasonable quailty on most film formats.  The
ease of changing format varies greatly, so take into consideration how
often you will be changing formats when evaluating these units.  These
units are the low end of what can be considered the "professional" range.
Some key features available in this price range are bulk loaded film, pin
registration, and imaging times under 2 minutes for a 4k slide.

Bulk loaded film is important as imaging rates go up.  When imaging lots of
slides, who wants to change film every 36 exposures?  Also, certain forms
of processors similar to those used to process movie film can directly
accept bulk rolls of film making processing of the film much easier for the
service or department using such a device to serve multiple customers.
Bulk loading is generally required to image computer generated movies.

Pin registration is required to maintain frame to frame registration of the
image.  In order to be useful, the slides must be mounted in pin registered
slide mounts.  Accuracy of this level is required for professionally
produced multi projector shows and is a basic necessity when imaging
movies.

At about $40,000 to $50,000 you can get an image recorder that will put 8k
pixels per scanline on the film.  Also at this point, imaging times should be
under 60 seconds for a 4k slide.

At $60,000 to $80,000 the image quality begins to approach that necessary
to do a good job on 4x5 and 8x10 film.  Also in this price range are units
that can image a slide in under 30 seconds.

Around $100,000 the 16k image recorders are available.

This brings up an important point on terminology.  Typically, CRT image
recorders are specified as having a resolution of 2k, 4k, 8k, or 16k. This
is in reference to the number of pixels that can be imaged on a given
scanline of an image (powers of 2 are popular because memories for the line
buffers work out easiest that way).  Sometimes, people misuse the
terminology and state that a 4k image recorder has "4k lines of resolution"
or "4000 lines of resolution".  There are two problems with this.

First, "lines of resolution" usually means distinct lines - black lines on
a white field for example.  To do this on a device with discrete pixels
requires that some pixels be white and some be black.  Thus on a 4k image
recorder only 2048 lines can even be attempted to be imaged since every
other pixel would be white and the remainder black.

The second common trap is to assume that because the pixels can be clocked
out at a rate of 4096 per scanline, or the lines scanned on the CRT at the
appropriate density to produce 4096 scanlines that the entire system is
capable of resolving resolutions of 2048 lines.  This is often not the case
and is frequently intentionally not the case.  Since a CRT produces a spot
or scanline with soft edges (the energy distribution is commonly
approximated as being Guassian), it is necessary to pack the pixels and
scanlines together such that the spot overlaps the adjacent pixels in order
to accomplish filling in of solid areas without having the individual
scanlines be visible.

In addition, since the CRT spot is soft edged, it is difficult to say how
big it is without further qualification.  Two common points to measure the
width of the spot are at the point where it falls to 50% of its peak
or at 1/e of its peak amplitude.  Since these two are quite different, it
is important to specify which one is being used.

Another common misconception is that resolution = spot size / image width.
A better statement would be that resolution is roughly proportional to spot
size / image width.  The exact limiting resolution depends on the exact
intensity profile of the spot as well as non CRT factors like the optics,
the film, and the electronics driving the CRT (rise and fall time of the
video circuit for on-off transitions greatly affects the horizontal
resolution for example).

One important factor in imaging times that people often overlook is how
fast the data can be transmitted to the image recorder from the host
machine.  Typically, the data file describing the image resides on the disk
of the host machine.  With a 4096 x 2732 x 24 bit image, this file is
32 Mbytes long.  Even with a fairly fast net transfer rate of 500
kbytes/second, it takes at least 64 seconds just to copy the file from the
disk to the image recorder.  At higher resolutions, or with more bits per
pixel, the transfer times go up dramatically.  Some image recorders allow
compressed forms of the image data to be transferred to help alleviate this
problem (but now CPU time must be expended to compress the image).
At 8192 x 5464 x 36 bits, the image file would be 268 Mbytes (assuming the
12 bits per pixel occupied 2 bytes and were not packed), and at
16384 x 10928 x 36 bits, the image file would be about 1 Gigabyte long.

When deciding on purchasing a digital image recorder, it is best to not
rely too heavily on manufacturer published specifications since they are
often vague and intentionally misleading and instead look at some actaul
film produced by the model(s) you are interested in.  Since film is
relatively cheap, most manufacturers will readily give away samples to
qualified prospective customers (those with money and who are actually
going to buy something).

If possible, you should get your hands on a demo or loaner unit and do some
testing yourself based on your specific application.  Dave Martindale of
IMAX systems published an excellent article here a few days ago outlining
several simple tests to perform on a film recorder under consideration.  I
will not reinvent the wheel and will simple include his article here:

In article <1990May1.192338.7449@imax.com> dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale)
writes:

>[...]

>Draw a pattern of vertical lines, with all even-numbered pixels
>black and all odd-numbered ones white.  See if you can actually
>see the black/white alternation on the finished film.  (I'll bet
>you can't!)  Do the same thing for horizontal lines.
>
>Then try for 2K effective resolution: two pixels black, two pixels
>white, two pixels black, etc.  See if you can see *that* on the
>film.  Again, do it horizontally and vertically.  Keep increasing
>the size of the bars in the pattern until you can see it on film -
>this will give you some idea of the resolution limit of the system.
>
>On a pattern where the black/white bars are clearly visible,
>compare them at the centre, edges, and corners of the image.
>This will tell you how much things degrade in the corners.
>
>Plot a full frame of several different grey levels.  Look at the
>resulting film for any detail that should *not* be there - vertical
>lines, horizontal lines, ghost images, etc.
>
>Plot full frames of the primary colours, to see how pure they are.
>Plot full-intensity white, to see how much exposure it can get onto film.
>
>Plot a full-intensity coloured square in the centre of a grey frame, and
>see how much of the colour "spills" outside the square into the grey.
>
>Measure how long it takes to actually record 1 frame at 4K.
>
> [...]

These are all very reasonable tests for evaluating a digital CRT image
recorder.  I would like to point out some additional areas of concern when
evaluating a CRT based digital image recorder:

Another important thing to evaluate is the image geometry.  That is to say,
is the image the correct size, in the correct postion, level, and not
distorted (edges curving in or out)?  On CRT based image recorders like the
AGFA Matrix ProColor and many others, getting the image geometry right is
no easy task for the manufacturer.  The basic problem is inherent in the
process of making a CRT out of glass - you just cannot hold all that high
of tolerances in the positioning of the gun in relationship to the screen
and the yoke when dealing with molten glass.  Most CRT image recorders have
numerous adjustments for getting the geometry right.  In some, this takes
the form of trim pots, and in others, it is accomplished digitally.

To test image geometry, image a pattern with fine (1 pixel thick) lines
through the center of the image vertically, horizontally, and at 45 degree
angles.  Also include a border around the edge a few dozen pixels in from
the outermost pixels (since the outermost pixels may be clipped by part of
the film transport).  Check that these lines are straight and that the
border is the size you think it should be.  A microscope with a micrometer
X-Y stage would be helpful in measuring the film.

Another issue is the quality of the color modulation of the device.
Typically, digital CRT image recorders control the exposure of pixels on
the CRT in one of two ways:  By either modulating the voltage applied to a
grid of the CRT using a DAC (digital to analog converter) thus modulating
the intensity of light emitted by the CRT, or by varying the amount of time
that each pixel is turned on with the CRT emitting a constant amount of
light.

In either case, the mapping function between the raw numbers used to
control the exposure and the resulting color of the pixel on the film is
unlikly to be linear, or even all that simple (the film itself helps to
make this even more difficult to characterize exactly).  In order to obtain
the desired mapping betweenthe  digital codes fed into the recorder and the
actual color produced on the film, a remapping or look-up-table is used
inside of the image recorder. This table takes the user's color values
(typically 8 bits per primary per pixel) and maps it to the numerical code
required to control the modulation system of the image recorder.

The quality of this remapping along with the underlying precision of the
modulation system of the image recorder combine to determine the overall
accuaracy and precision of color reproduction of the image recorder as a
whole.  I recommend two test images to help evaluate this part of an image
recorder's performance.

The first would be comprised of a series of 10 to 16 grey patches varying
in intensity from black to white.  Check that all of the patches are a
neutral grey and are not slightly tinted.  Usually, if a tri-color system
can get the neutrals right, the other colors will fall in line as well.  A
densitometer like those used in photo processing labs to check the colors
of the processing machine can be used to measure the exact colors obtained
if the patches are large enough.  Remember that processing and the exact
emulsion batch can have a moderate effect on the color of the resulting
film.

The second color reproduction test that I would recommend would be to
create an image comprised of a complete gradation from black to white.  On
an image recorder with 8 bits per primary, this would be accomplished by
dividing the image into 256 equally sized strips and making the first one
0:0:0, the second one 1:1:1, ... 254:254:254:254, and finally 255:255:255.
The steps on the resulting film should almost not be visible (8 bits per
primary is not quite enough to make the steps completely invisible - that
is why some image recorders use as many as 12 bits per primary).  There
should be no hue differences between adjacent steps.  An image recorder
that has problems on this test will cause scanned or synthetic 3d objects
to have contours, but may be fine for 2d object based graphics (like white
text on a solid blue background).

The final thing that I would like to mention concerning evalutation of CRT
based digital image recorders is not so much concerned with the quality of
any one image, but with how repeatable that quality is.  CRT's and their
related electronics tend to drift with temperature, and also to age.  If
not corrected for in the design of the image recorder, the long term
repeatability of the image recorder will suffer.  This is important when an
entire show (or movie scene) is shot and a few weeks later, one slide (or
an adjacent scene) is reshot and the colors of the newly shot film are a
little "off" from the colors of the older film.

Long term stability is not an easy thing to test quickly.  One way to get
an idea of how well an image recorder will perform in this regard is to
look at film shot on several different units of the same model.  If the
colors are well matched, chances are, the image recorders in question
cannot be drifting too much, or it would be difficult to get them to
produce the same color.  This test has the obvious weakness that the
manufacturer could simply hand pick several units that happen to match.

As an employee of one of the major manufacturers of CRT based digital image
recorders, I have attempted to remain unbiased in the above discussions,
but to justify the time I spent on this, I guess I will have to include the
following paragraph:

Management Graphics, Inc.  retails a line of Digital Image Recorders called
Solitaire.  Currently four models are available.  A brief summary of the
models:

	Solitaire-4:	Our lowest cost model.  4k slides in 120 sec.
	Solitaire-8:	The original.  Up to 8k.  4k in 45 sec.
	Solitaire-8xp:	A new improved Solitaire-8.  4k in 29 sec.,
				improved large format image quality.
	Solitaire-16:	Up to 16k.  Spot size 1/2 of other Solitaire's.

Contact Bill Gillooly at +1-612-851-6124 for further details.

--
Richard Keeney                 Internet:  keeney@mgi.com
Management Graphics, Inc.         Phone:  +1-612-854-1220

ritter@versatc.versatec.COM (Jack Ritter) (05/04/90)

I wish to thank Richard Keeney for his recent,
very thorough discussion of digital image recorders.
This subject is becoming more & more popular as
film recorders go down in price. I have been collecting
articles in comp.graphics about film recorders for
about a year now. It's all in one file, including
Richard's. I will post it if enough people ask for it.

About my own quest: I'm now looking at 12-15K.
Everyone please send me 20 dollars.
--
   Versatec, Inc.
   Jack Ritter, M.S. 1-7