[comp.graphics] Simulated Annealing

page@uicadb.csl.uiuc.edu (Ward Page) (05/03/90)

In article <578@ghidrah.tessi.UUCP> bobl@tessi.UUCP (Bob Lewis) writes:
>In article <11390030@hpldola.HP.COM> paul@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul Bame) writes:
>>For general (or lazy) purposes this might be accomplished by a relative of
>>simulated annealing.
>
>I've heard this technique discussed and I have some vague notion of how it
>works, but can anyone out there point me at a general reference or two on it?
>
>Please respond by email.  If requested, I will forward or post a summary to
>this newsgroup.  Thanks in advance.
>
>	- Bob Lewis
>	  ...!tektronix!tessi!bobl

Please post a summary.  I am also interested in any references on
simulated annealing.

Ward Page
Visual Perception Lab
University of Illinois

elf@dgp.toronto.edu (Eugene Fiume) (05/04/90)

In article <1990May2.205156.21471@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> page@ferrari.ece.uiuc.edu.UUCP (Ward Page) writes:

>Please post a summary.  I am also interested in any references on
>simulated annealing.

The standard reference is:
	N. Metropolis, A. Rosenbluth, M. Rosenbluth, A. Teller, E. Teller,
	"Equations of state calcuations by fast computing machines",
	Journal of Chemical Physics 21, 1087-1091 (1953).

More recent, topical and controversial is:
	S. Kirkpatrick, C.D. Gelatt Jr., M.P. Vecchi, "Optimization by
	Simulated Annealing", Science 220, 4598 (May 1983), 671-680.

For an application (and I cite this only because it's a simpleminded
application--I did it with my own two hands!), you might check out:
	E. Fiume and M. Ouellette, "On distributed, probabilistic
	algorithms for computer graphics", Proceedings of Graphics Interface
	'89 [Morgan Kaufmann Publishers], 211-218.
--
Eugene Fiume, Dynamic Graphics Project
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

In article <1990May4.093929.17025@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> elf@dgp.toronto.edu (Eugene Fiume) writes:
>For an application (and I cite this only because it's a simpleminded
>application--I did it with my own two hands!), you might check out:

More correctly, we did it with our own four hands.
--
Eugene Fiume, Dynamic Graphics Project
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto
elf@dgp.toronto.edu, (416) 978-5472

eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (05/04/90)

A bibliography on simulated annealing was posted to comp.arch quite some
time ago.  I do not have an intact copy; I integrated it into my
parallel processing bibliography (see comp.parallel).

Just goes to show that people have to read outside their if they expect
to advance it. 8)

	...man's got to know his limitations.
					-- "Harry Callahan"

--e. nobuo miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene

davidp@dbrmelb.dbrhi.oz (David Paterson) (05/07/90)

> Please post a summary.  I am also interested in any references on
> simulated annealing.

I'm not working with simulated annealing but many of my colleagues are.
There are hundreds of books and articles on simulated annealing. For a simple,
readable introduction to this and other algorithms (such as genetic algorithms)
see:
      New Scientist, 14 April 1990, pp. 35-38
      "Natural solutions give their best"

David Paterson,
CSIRO Division of Building, Construction and Engineering,
Highett, Victoria, 3190, AUSTRALIA
davidp@dbrmelb.dbrhi.oz.au

"a study of the mathematics of turbulence, which was my Ph.D. problem"
Isaac Asimov: Prelude to Foundation.

fournier@cs.ubc.ca (Alain Fournier) (05/08/90)

"
>For an application (and I cite this only because it's a simpleminded
>application--I did it with my own two hands!), you might check out:

More correctly, we did it with our own four hands.
"

According to my old friend M. F. Barnsley, simulated annealing is done
with monkeys' feet, not researchers' hands, no matter how many (I can't give
the exact reference for the Barnsley quote, but it's in either "Fractals *",
"The * of Fractals" or "Are Books About Fractals Self-Similar?").

cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.CA (Chris Shaw) (05/08/90)

In article <7772@ubc-cs.UUCP> fournier@cs.ubc.ca (Alain Fournier) writes:
>According to my old friend M. F. Barnsley, simulated annealing is done
>with monkeys' feet, not researchers' hands, no matter how many (I can't give
>the exact reference for the Barnsley quote, but it's in either "Fractals *",
>"The * of Fractals" or "Are Books About Fractals Self-Similar?").

If Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel, then similarly, Simulated
Annealing is the last refuge of those trying to get a CAD system out the door.
Which is to say that while simulated annealing works, it works quite slowly,
and there is ample experience in electronic CAD to indicate that it is not
the algorithm of choice. The point being that a better search strategy will
usually yield better results without the 24 hour run times.

You might want to use simulated annealing as an investigative tool, however.
--
Chris Shaw     University of Alberta
cdshaw@cs.UAlberta.ca           Now with new, minty Internet flavour!