[comp.graphics] Fast Fourier Transform needed in C

lauwer@cs.hw.ac.uk (Jean-Marc de Lauwereyns) (05/07/90)

	In the article <1990Apr21.223430.13206@IRO.UMontreal.CA>, Normand
Williams wrote :
>   Hi, I am looking for Fast Fourier Transform written in C
> that I could use for image processing. Is there a package on the net that
> would include forward and inverse FFT, Spectrum calculation etc? I would
> appreciate that you reply to me directly, Thank you. NW

	I have developped a 2-D Fast Fourier Transform for a project I have
been working on (fractal landscapes), because generally, this kind of thing
is given for 1-D but not for 2-D. So I have developped the algorithm for a
2-D array of doubles in C. If you want it I can send it to you directly, but
I will not post it on the net for a good reason : people are charming when
they want help and you are answering them on the net, BUT when it comes to be
your turn to be helped, what a spectacular thing you see !!! nobody ever
answers your messages, even if they are urgent, ..., especially when you are
a student : you have not  enough credit.

	So if you want this 2D FFT I can send it. I can also send you the
pacal-like pseudo-code for the 1D FFT that I used as a skeleton to see how
a FFT is working.

				Jean-Marc
Jean-Marc de Lauwereyns     |              ____  |     e-mail addresses :
Heriot-Watt University      |     |\  /|   |   \ | JANET: lauwer@uk.ac.hw.cs
Computer Science Department |     | \/ |   |___/ | ARPA.: lauwer@cs.hw.ac.uk
Edinburgh                   | \___/    |___|   \ |

dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) (05/08/90)

In article <879@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> lauwer@cs.hw.ac.uk (Jean-Marc de Lauwereyns) writes:

>If you want it I can send it to you directly, but
>I will not post it on the net for a good reason : people are charming when
>they want help and you are answering them on the net, BUT when it comes to be
>your turn to be helped, what a spectacular thing you see !!! nobody ever
>answers your messages, even if they are urgent, ..., especially when you are
>a student : you have not  enough credit.

Oh, don't be ridiculous!  Asking for help on Usenet is like walking
into a university cafeteria, standing up on one of the tables, and
shouting "I need help on <description of problem>".

If your problem is personally interesting to someone who hears you,
they'll help.  If it's something they solved recently, they'll also
probably help.  If they think you are asking for help without having
done enough homework yourself, they'll ignore you.  If they are
in the midst of a more interesting discussion with someone else,
they'll ignore you.  And you won't reach anyone who isn't in the room.

In general, Usenet is an excellent resource for gathering other people's
experiences with a piece of hardware, or an algorithm, or discussing
a topic that is of current interest to readers.  I've had quite good
results asking such questions in the past.

But any answers you get are purely voluntary - nobody here owes you
anything!  Just because a problem is important to you, don't automatically
expect it to be important to anyone else.  And if you give the impression
that you *expect* someone to help you out, you're being rude - why should
anyone bother to help you?

In the particular case of your problem with "The Science of Fractal Images",

	1. the original article never did reach here; possibly most of
	   Usenet never saw it.

	2. I, personally, don't have the book in question, so I don't
	   have enough context to understand your questions about
	   Fourier transforms - and you don't provide enough context
	   for your questions without the book.

	Dave Martindale