[comp.graphics] ACR/NEMA Image File Format

tmb@davinci.acc.Virginia.EDU (Thomas M. Breeden) (05/08/90)

I am looking for information on or pointers to info on an
image file format, ACR/NEMA. Specification, "standardness",
areas of use, software processing sources, etc.

ACR from American College of Radiologists?
NEMA from National Electrical Manufacturers Assn?

Thanks for any help.

Tom Breeden
tmb@virginia.EDU   -> Internet
tmb@virginia       -> BITNET
804-924-0438

ijadi@dinorah.wustl.edu (Mohamad Ijadi) (05/08/90)

tmb@davinci.acc.Virginia.EDU (Thomas M. Breeden) writes:
>I am looking for information on or pointers to info on an
>image file format, ACR/NEMA. Specification, "standardness",
>areas of use, software processing sources, etc.

Look in:
   -- ACR-NEMA Standard Publication for Digital Imaging and
      Communications.  Washington, DC, NEMA Publication no. 300, 1985.

this is the complete description of the standard,  how to transmit an
image across an interface.  It also describes the "commmon image data
format" which required...  for a short description see:

   -- Chris Spilker, The ACR-NEMA Digital Imaging and Communications Standard:
      A Nontechnical Description.  Journal of Digital Imaging, Vol 2,
      No. 3 (August), 1988:pp 127-131.

hope this helps....

>Tom Breeden

  --mohamad
    ijadi@dinorah.wustl.edu

buck@drax.gsfc.nasa.gov (Loren (Buck) Buchanan) (05/08/90)

In article <1990May7.190707.18880@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> tmb@davinci.acc.Virginia.EDU (Thomas M. Breeden) writes:
>I am looking for information on or pointers to info on an
>image file format, ACR/NEMA. Specification, "standardness",
>areas of use, software processing sources, etc.
>
>ACR from American College of Radiologists?
>NEMA from National Electrical Manufacturers Assn?

Close, it is the American College of Radiology.  I would also like
information on this as well.  In fact I would like to know what other
formats are in common use (excluding those mentioned in Frequently
asked questions).

For your information, there is a effort underway in Germany to define
yet another image format.  The big difference between all of the others
ever developed and this one, is this one is intended to become an
international standard for use in image processing systems.  It is also
intended to be compatible with the PIK image processing standard that
is currently under development by X3H3.8.

B Cing U

Buck

Loren "Buck" Buchanan | internet: buck@drax.gsfc.nasa.gov | standard disclaimer
CSC, 1100 West St.    | uucp: ...!ames!dftsrv!drax!buck   | "By the horns of a
Laurel, MD 20707      | phonenet: (301) 497-2531 or 9898  | sky demon..."