[comp.graphics] Random Rejection Sometimes Harmful

cline@cheetah.ece.clarkson.edu (Marshall Cline) (05/09/90)

I'm embarassed :-) to say that I was the fool that started this
lengthy `Random Points on a Sphere' discussion (sorry :-)

In article <271@paralogics.UUCP> shaw@paralogics.UUCP (Guy Shaw) writes:
>The thing that bothers me about using any method that involves
>generating random numbers and rejecting those that fail some test
>is that, even though an average rejection rate is known, there is
>no guarantee that I won't generate a _long_ series of rejected numbers....
>Am I just being paranoid?  ...

Semi-paranoid perhaps.  But for my application, Guy is right on target.
My application runs on the Connection Machine, which is of course a SIMD.
The problem with the `rejection' techniques is that *every* processor
has to wait until *all* processors finally get an `unrejected' value.
That's the price you pay to get data parallelism and a cheaper machine
that doesn't have the mutual exclusion problems common to MIMD's.

Marshall Cline

Marshall Cline/ECE Department/Clarkson University/Potsdam NY 13676/315-268-3868
 cline@sun.soe.clarkson.edu, bitnet: BH0W@CLUTX, uunet!clutx.clarkson.edu!bh0w
  Career search in progress: ECE faculty. Research oriented. Will send vita.